The Rise Of Wesnoth - A New Land

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Oglander

The Rise Of Wesnoth - A New Land

Post by Oglander »

1) I'm running Ubuntu 7.10

2) Version 1.41 of game

3) Get to "A New Land" in trow, objective is to avoid confrontation as long as possible. Around turn 10 Lady Dionla comes out with the "what's going on here" dialog, tells me to follow her; then joins the battle which proceeds from before. ( I proceeded to kill her!). After the turns are up the same dialog (with the same Lady Dionla) repeats and this time we go to The Kahlia.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: The Rise Of Wesnoth - A New Land

Post by zookeeper »

From what I can tell, that should be impossible, yet several people have reported it. Also I've never been able to reproduce it myself.

Could you post a savefile from that scenario (any savefile except the beginning-of-scenario save is fine)? Also, it could be useful if you could find and attach this file from your system: <Wesnoth>/data/campaigns/The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/scenarios/15_New_Land.cfg. I'd really like to check those to see if it's something that's just gone wrong in the ubuntu packages.
Oglander

Post by Oglander »

I'm at work right now, but I'll post my .cfg file when I get home. I've already finished the campaign, so possibly the only save I'll have is the very beginning, would that be ok?

EDIT: Never mind, I re-read your post :oops:. I'm pretty sure that's the only save I have left.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Oglander wrote:I'm at work right now, but I'll post my .cfg file when I get home. I've already finished the campaign, so possibly the only save I'll have is the very beginning, would that be ok?

EDIT: Never mind, I re-read your post :oops:. I'm pretty sure that's the only save I have left.
Well, in that case you could just restart the scenario from that and post the turn 1 autosave. The beginning-of-scenario saves aren't useful because they do not actually contain the scenario data itself (unlike mid-scenario saves), which I want to look at.
Oglander

Post by Oglander »

OK, now, let's see if I can figure out how to do this...

I hope this'll help figure it out. I hope to eventually
learn WML, but that's going to take a while! :lol2:
Attachments
TRoW-A_New_Land-Auto-Save1.gz
(50.73 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
15_New_Land.cfg
(11.74 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ok, there's nothing wrong with your scenario file after all.

When I play that scenario (on windows) I got one thunderer to attack me (all I had was a lvl2 Haldric sitting on a village surrounded by dwarves and elves) on turn 10, at which point Dionli showed up and gave her speech, after which the scenario ended normally as it should.

I really have no idea how it'd be possible for the scenario to continue at that point. :o
Statue

Post by Statue »

Hi, I've encountered the same issue in Wesnoth 1.4.1, running on Windows XP.

I have my units huddled around the starting point defending themselves, and I am currently on turn 31. The flittery elven lass appeared on turn 10 and gave her speech, after which she joined the attack on me. I continued to defend the start area, only attacking enemy units that came right up to the tiny island we start from, and was quietly hopeful that when she made it down to there she would whisk us all away somewhere - instead she attacked and was therefore fair game to be killed. I continued to hold until turn 31 before checking the forums and seeing this thread.

My savegame at turn 31 and the scenario cfg file are enclosed.

Given that the scenario went to the end of the turns for Oglander and then went okay from there, I shall of course take this opportunity to harvest some free xp for the rest of the scenario :D

Regards
Statue
Attachments
15_New_Land.cfg
Scenario File
(11.82 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
TRoW-A_New_Land_Turn_31_NO_PEACE.gz
Current Save
(71.4 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Oglander

Post by Oglander »

OK, this time on windows, (at work :oops: ). It occured every time I tried the scenario. Here are two saves; turn_5 is before she appears, turn_8 is after her speech and everything is continuing. there's Lady Dionla up north. Oh, and the config file. It might be something we're doing in game that doesn't trigger the end of scenario?

But what do I know. :lol2:
Attachments
15_New_Land.cfg
(11.82 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
TRoW-A_New_Land_Turn_8_after.gz
(72 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
TRoW-A_New_Land_Turn_5_before.gz
(69 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
vicza

Post by vicza »

It seems, I understood. It happens ONLY if Lord Tyfoon was attacked. He is auto-killed after this dialog, so the attack fails, and, maybe, this causes computer to think there was no attack event.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

vicza wrote:It seems, I understood. It happens ONLY if Lord Tyfoon was attacked. He is auto-killed after this dialog, so the attack fails, and, maybe, this causes computer to think there was no attack event.
You're a genious! Yes, if the first attack is against Lord Typhon then the game gets confused since he disappears during the dialogue, and for some mysterious reason doesn't end the scenario properly as a consequence. So, I think that in 1.4.2 this should already work correctly, since there the event happens at the end of the first fight, not before it.
vicza

Post by vicza »

zookeeper wrote:So, I think that in 1.4.2 this should already work correctly
Yes, it works.

But it was strange, anyway. If this Lady Dionly (why she's "Lord", btw?) appears, it means, that the event's already fired. So "result=continue" should follow. Why, then, attack? In 1.2 it worked correctly. Whoever was attacked, after the dialog at once went "Do you want to save replay etc."
Oglander

Post by Oglander »

Fantastic! Great work everybody, (Especially Zookeeper and Vicza) I'm glad we got a solution. :D