Menu items don't work on Mac OS X

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
gruush

Menu items don't work on Mac OS X

Post by gruush »

Hi folks,

I'm new to Wesnoth, and thought I'd report something I saw:

Mac OS X (10.4.11)
Wesnoth 1.4

The problem is that while the menu options within the game interface itself work, if you select values from the Mac OS drop-downs, nothing happens.

For example, if Ioad a scenario, and then select File | Scenario Objectives, nothing happens. However, if I select the in-game "Menu" drop-down, and select Scenario Objectives from there, it works like a charm. I'm specifically referring to the Macintosh menus across the very top of the screen, above the game window. This is true for every menu option I've tried.

There is no error, it just doesn't do anything. The Mac Console doesn't show any error information either.

OK, that's about it, thanks!

Gruush
Mist
Inactive Developer

Re: Menu items don't work on Mac OS X

Post by Mist »

There was a report about that somewhere. IIRC these drop-down options are a leftover from much earlier attempts at integrating them with the game (or editior) by Mac packager. Anyway they are not there by our design and as such we can't really do anything to them.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
gruush

Post by gruush »

Mist wrote:There was a report about that somewhere. IIRC these drop-down options are a leftover from much earlier attempts at integrating them with the game (or editior) by Mac packager. Anyway they are not there by our design and as such we can't really do anything to them.
OK. It's not like it renders the game unplayable, since everything in the in-game menu works. If you toggle to full-screen, you can't even see them. Just thought I should mention it, though, since it does affect the first impression Mac users get.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

I can try fixing it with hobbyist efforts, unless ullissesroc decides to take it on. But I'll only look at it after at least 3 days time. Hint: I think it just basically depends on fiddling around with Interface Builder. So anyone else with Macs and Developer Tools installed can experiment with it, and upload the Compile Kit with the correct interface behavior to the forums to be included in the next official release. Until then I'm not sure if there's much to add regarding this issue.
Take a breath.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Damn it, Interface Builder keeps on crashing on me for some reason; I've even deleted and reinstalled the Developer Tools. I hope some other Mac user takes it on (how about it, Noy? :twisted: )
Take a breath.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Bump (as advised by Dave).

I'm hoping any XCode-competent coder sees this and decides to fix what's already here before. And if any decides to do so they might want to fix the "just drag to the icon" way of manually installing campaigns and maps etc, which was also present in previous versions. I'm only unsure if this is the right section, as it's not a bug with the game, just a bug in the Mac binary.
Take a breath.