Time to fix the 1,4 server ?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
vetgirig

Time to fix the 1,4 server ?

Post by vetgirig »

Is is just me or are people getting very tired of all the server resets that happens and all the spontanous disconnects that happens ?

I find it very strange that the developers saw 1,4 ready for release with all those problems making it nearly impossible to play a game to finish withouth haveing to do several restarts and or changing of players as the server resets and the players spontanious are disconnected from the game.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Re: Time to fix the 1,4 server ?

Post by Mist »

Ever occured to you that these restarts might be an side effect of introducing fixes? Usualy you have to restart something to see changes introduced in place. There is a lot of effort put into this issue at the moment, but it requires much testing and only place giving meaningful results is main server. Bear with that for a while, we're doing it as painlessly as possible.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
vetgirig

Post by vetgirig »

Mist wrote:Ever occured to you that these restarts might be an side effect of introducing fixes? Usualy you have to restart something to see changes introduced in place. There is a lot of effort put into this issue at the moment, but it requires much testing and only place giving meaningful results is main server. Bear with that for a while, we're doing it as painlessly as possible.

The biggest problem is all the connection time out problems that occur all the time. The ping time might be a tad bit to fast to time out.
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

You might fix the forums while you're at it. :-D

I guess it's just a question of high load since they weren't written by you. =)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
chains

Post by chains »

The server instability is not related to Admin instated reboots. The server drops connections repeatedly, then refuses to accept reconnects. I can ping the server, I can telnet to the game port 15000... yet when I use the wesnoth client to connect nothing happens... sometimes after 10 minutes or so of trying and retrying it lets me on for about 10-15 minutes then boots me off again with a ping timeout message.

There is nothing wrong with my connection to any other servers, as I can do anything else on the Internet I want. I can play on the tux server all day long if it had any players. The 1.2 server also works great, except of course the devs cleaned the 1.2 out of players by releasing 1.4 as stable when it is in fact very unstable.

Wesnoth have become completely unplayable for the day.
Nordfriese

Post by Nordfriese »

Hello everybody,

i have the same server behaviour as described. I play this game really a long time,
but it was never so unplayable like now. This did not start with 1.4 but something like version 1.3.14 ...

Hope to have this fixed.

Friese
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

It's not that 1.4 is unstable, it is infact, far more stable than 1.2. The problem is that there are far more players on 1.4 than the server can handle.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Okay, please read this and let's finish this rather pointless discussion. All the reasons and proposed solutions are explained by Dave in the thread I linked. This one gets locked.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.