Most Annoying...files not opening

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
mixmaster

Most Annoying...files not opening

Post by mixmaster »

Just wasted through the first 7 levels after I DL'ed the new Version .48. Three white mages, Palladins, everything, lots of level 3 characters. But... I died on level 8 and when I tried to restart at Level 8 again it said it was from another version, and when selected it anyway, it started me from Level 1. Tired scrapping all the visible files (after doing the uninstall), reinstalled, same thing. Funny though, it would open files from a save done mid-level.
Aggravating Grrrrr.... :?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Saves made mid-scenario probably won't work if you load from a different version of the game.

Saves made between scenarios (either when it asks you to save when you win a scenario, or if you save at beginning of next scenario without moving any units) should work, although they might not if there have been major changes.

You are welcome to send me any saves from the beginning of a scenario that don't work (davidnwhite@optusnet.com.au), tell me what version they were produced on and what version they don't work on, and I will fix them for you.

David
mixmaster

data file problem

Post by mixmaster »

:? The files are 0Kb. Empty!!! All of them. That's why I guess every time I try to reload a saved level it takes me back to the intro. The only file that seems to work is auto-save.... which guess what... takes me to the turn that I died. Funny, it happens on another machine I installed it on. Also an XP pro OS. Same thing?
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

hmmm, I've got xp pro, let me check it out tomorrow. Lets see if I can reproduce 0kb save files.
-BrassJ
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Would you be able to try saving with names that only contain letters, and no other characters? Is possibly a filename issue. But I'm really not sure I'm afraid :(

Will have to investigate further. I have XP as well, so I should be able to test.

To clarify, does this happen on any game you save (other than auto save)? Does it happen to mid-level games? End-of-level games? On all scenarios?

David
Slainte

Post by Slainte »

I think i noticed it time ago but really did not pay attention to it... as it happened only once... user driven saves seemed to don't work, while end-level (automated) saves did... I will see into it (though the code has no changes over the linux version...)
This notice has taken that detail back to my mind...