Problem with download add-ones

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Omid

Problem with download add-ones

Post by Omid »

I have a slow internet connection and when i am downloading an add-one it always says remot host disconnected.
is there any way to it stays more for reciving packages??(or any other idea)
Gus

Post by Gus »

"Remote host disconnected" is an aerror message due to the server, not your connection. Try again later, it might just mean there are already the maximum number of clients connected to it.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Omid

Post by Omid »

Thanx :lol:
Imp

Post by Imp »

I just use the web interface. The add-on server when accessed through the game is slow (takes ages), unreliable (disconnects) and freaks me out (crashes on the last kB, indistinguishable from successful installations where the game "freezes" momentarily except by leaving it on for a while).

The web interface - at least for the moment - is fast, reliable, and has the benefit that we only need to download anything once because we have the file handy in case we need to reinstall. :-)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Imp wrote:(crashes on the last kB, indistinguishable from successful installations where the game "freezes" momentarily except by leaving it on for a while).
This is likely due to a bug in the zip library. It doesn't hang, it just takes AGES to unpack the zip file once it is downloaded. It seems to follow an exponential curve too, so the larger the file, the very, very, very longer you wait. But nothing that cannot be solved by waiting.

The problem i've encountered a few times with the HTTP version is that all add-ons don't seem to be there. But it might have been a mistake on my side, or a temporary issue.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Kanadian

Post by Kanadian »

I've been having the same problem for the last few days, trying to download the new Extended Era. I've gotten above 90% completion a few times only to have get the remote host disconnection error.

Its VERY annoying. :x

..and it just happened again. v_v *sigh*
Imp

Post by Imp »

Nah, I know the game hangs when installing large add-ons, but sometimes the crashes are indistinguishable from the unpacking hangs. For example, I'd go do some work and come back a few hours later to find that it's still hanging. Try to move the mouse, click something, and Wesnoth crashes to the desktop.

Kanadian, you might want to download the add-ons using the web interface until the add-ons server is fixed.
darkwraith007

helpful link

Post by darkwraith007 »

I already posted elsewhere but I think this thread is a more proper place for it:

Linked here

Its the 3rd post in that thread, at the bottom (so far).
Hope this helps, TT.
Akula

Post by Akula »

greetings!

:( seems i have a problem. as i m in a LAN network external traffic is protected by firewall, so i cant use ingame button to get new add-ons

ok i thought. lets download it from the website. however when i click it it does not show up...... it keeps trying to connect.

usually results in a time out msg from my browser .

is there any other place to dl ?

thanks in advance

Akula, the elven Ranger
Akula, the Elven Ranger

Archers, ignite! Fire!
Akula

which port is used?

Post by Akula »

refering to the problem mentioned above in my post..

the network admin told me i need to know the port which wesnoth is using for online gaming and dl from server. then he can open them for me and it should work.

anyone knows which ports are used by wesnoth for both : online gaming and dl addons.

thanks in advance
Akula, the Elven Ranger

Archers, ignite! Fire!
darkwraith007

quoted...

Post by darkwraith007 »

Quoted from the FAQ
If you are behind a firewall you may not be able to connect to the campaign server. In this case try to download the campaign directly from the campaign server through the web interface at http://wolff.to/campaigns/list.html. If you know how to change your firewall settings, then you should open port 15003 (version 1.1.1 and up) or port 15002 (versions 1.1.0 and lower). For added security, you can restrict traffic over those ports to the campaign server's IP address (currently 88.191.12.200).
It really is handy. And its linked on the main page...do use it before posting when you can, please and thanks.