Ubuntu 6.06 and wesnoth 1.2 compile problems

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
chains

Ubuntu 6.06 and wesnoth 1.2 compile problems

Post by chains »

Let me start by saying, Yes, I believe I have all of the required dependencies, both the documented and undocumented ones. (Both the runtime and the poorly labeled "development" packages...

I have some experience both with software compilation and Ubuntu. And I have installed wesnoth from source several times on different Ubuntu and Debian machines in the past. Each time I run into the same undocumented problems over and over and work my way through remembering each fix painfully. Yet this time is different. Here is the story:

After fixing the version conflict with the current glu1-mesa-dev being too new by downgrading to the required version number. I was successful in using apt-get to install all the runtime and development dependencies. I think joyfully ran ./configure with my usual options, only to find the error:

checking SDL_image.h usability... no
checking SDL_image.h presence... no
checking for SDL_image.h... no
configure: error: *** SDL_image include files not found!
You should install development package.

I thought just like you certainly are: that the foolish newbie doesn't have libsdl_image1.2-dev installed so...

sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
libsdl-image1.2-dev is already the newest version.
libsdl-image1.2 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I then tried removing all the SDL packages with apt-get and tried to compile all of them from source... which gets us past the ./configure... however that leads to more errors with the clipboard.o... and something about the LIBSDL not being compiled with x windows support enabled... so If anyone knows what options to feed the ./configure to compile the SDL packages from source or a tip on how to make wesnoth configure find the libSDL packages that are apparently installed that would be great.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

I would like to help you, but compiling Wesnoth works just fine for me on Ubuntu 6.06 using the SDL packages from the repository so I'm not sure what the problem is.

These are the SDL dev packages I have installed from the repository:
libsdl-image1.2-dev 1.2.4-1
libsdl-mixer1.2-dev 1.2.6-1.1
libsdl-ttf2.0-dev 2.0.7-1
libsdl1.2-dev 1.2.9-0.0ubuntu2
libsdl-net1.2-dev 1.2.5-6
bert1

Post by bert1 »

I use ubuntu edgy, and have always compiled from source with the instructions I posted here without any problems at all:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 931#204931

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful with your specific problem.
chains

Post by chains »

I have it running on a different ubuntu 6.06 machine myself... For some reason the apt-get isn't installing the header .h in /usr/lib/include.

Someone (probably me) needs to make a .deb package for 1.2 that works on ubuntu's current version. The ones posted on the forum have dependecy issues unless you run edgy, Which given, its lack of stability is not where I want to go just to run wesnoth. Still cant figure out what I did wrong when I compiled SDL from source.