Add New Graphics - How?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Richie

Add New Graphics - How?

Post by Richie »

I have some Lord of the Rings graphics that someone made for Wesnoth. How do you add them to the game? I can't figure it out for the life of me.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Add New Graphics - How?

Post by zookeeper »

Richie wrote:How do you add them to the game?
Go to your Wesnoth/images/ directory, overwrite some image you find there with your LotR image. You then have it in the game.

Or you can try to tell us what exactly you want to do, since "adding graphics into the game" doesn't make any sense as such, really.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Sorry for the unclear explanation. I want them to appear in the game.

I think what you said hit the nail right on the head. I use Ubuntu Linux. Does anybody happen to know where the Wesnoth images directory is?
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Well, there's two solutions for it really.

1. overwrite the wesnoth standard in the /usr/local/wesnoth/image/ (or something like that)
Note that you'll have to reinstall wesnoth if you ant the original back

2. Make a custom era and use it. Consult the wiki for that, it's in the "Create" part of the site.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
fyo

Post by fyo »

If you compiled Wesnoth on Ubuntu using default instructions, the wesnoth directory is located here:

/usr/share/games/wesnoth

If you are playing the packaged version available from the Ubuntu repositories (1.0, last I checked), I strongly recommend compiling the latest version (1.1.11 == 1.2rc1). I played 1.0 first and there are SO many improvements in 1.1.11 that I barely even know where to begin with describing the changes. The game is completely rebalanced, almost all graphics have been significantly upgraded (sounds may be as well, but I don't play with sounds), opening the load dialog is much, much faster, at least a few episodes in the mainline campaigns have been completely revamped and a hoarde of bugs have been fixed.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I'm a little out of it tonight (started a new job), so please pardon my very n00bish question. When I try and move the Lord of the Rings image files into the Wesnoth images folder, it doesn't let me. I tried as root and through the terminal. Any suggestions?
fyo

Post by fyo »

"it doesn't let me"... what does it say? And what, exactly, did you type?

The cp command doesn't include directories by default (unlike mv), so you would have to add -R if you were doing something like:

cp -R LotR/images/ /usr/share/games/wesnoth/images/
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Richie wrote:I'm a little out of it tonight (started a new job), so please pardon my very n00bish question. When I try and move the Lord of the Rings image files into the Wesnoth images folder, it doesn't let me. I tried as root and through the terminal. Any suggestions?
You're not supposed to manually mess around with the files under /usr/ anyway. This is bad practice and I do not recommend it. Apart from /usr/local/ this is the territory of the package manager. You're probably getting an error since only the root user has access and my guess is that you tried to copy with your normal user account.

If you want to change stuff like this I recommend compiling your own version using ./configure -prefix=/home/yourusername/somewhere and mess around with that one.