SLOW Performance Issues: post here to report

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
DriverBasalt

SLOW response time on Windows 7

Post by DriverBasalt »

I just upgraded from Wesnoth 1.12 to Wesnoth 1.14.13. I am running Windows 7 SP1 64 bit, Intel i7 @ 2.80 GHz. 4 GiB RAM. I run only locally. Wesnoth responds extremely slowly, as to be painful to play. Mouse down events do not always register. Animations -- damage numbers, unit movement, moving the cursor -- all take a very long time to happen, and often happen during the next event or several.

Resource usage at main menu: CPU 0 to 2%; physical memory 51%. Wesnoth working set 111,400 KiB; private working set 97,768 KiB.

After loading a saved game: CPU usage when game is idle 0 to 2%; physical memory 53%. Working set 170,948 KiB, private working set 149,440 KiB.

The log file is very sparse:

Code: Select all

Battle for Wesnoth v1.14.13
Started on Mon Jun 15 22:23:02 2020

Automatically found a possible data directory at C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.13

Data directory:               C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.13
User configuration directory: C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14
User data directory:          C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14
Cache directory:              C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\cache

Setting mode to 1280x960
Checking lua scripts... ok
vghetto

Re: SLOW Performance Issues: post here to report

Post by vghetto »

Try to disable water animation, see if that helps.
Preferences->Display->Animate Water.
DriverBasalt

Post by DriverBasalt »

That didn't do it, at least not enough. I also disabled "animate map" and "animate idle units", which still didn't help.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I wasn't going to weigh in because I don't use Windows, but none of the Windows developers have come through yet, so I will try to give you a couple ideas. Just keep in mind that I don't know exactly what I'm talking about!

It sounds like this is not being caused by Wesnoth specifically, but a conflict with another program, background process, or library. In order to troubleshoot the problem, try booting up under a new user account in a minimal mode (is there still safe mode?) and see if that makes a difference. It also would be helpful to know if 1.14.0 or another earlier 1.14 version does work for you. You might also contact the Windows packager and see what versions of the SDL .dll files they used and check for those as well as conflicting ones.

Another thing that is very likely to work is learning to compile programs yourself. The program would then get built for the exact system you have. I understand that Windows doesn't do this out of the box and it's tricky to set up, but there is a subforum here where you can get help. Besides, it is a skill that could come in handy in other situations too. (I assume you don't currently know how or you would have mentioned it.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

You can provide the library information by clicking on the Image icon on the bottom-left corner of the main menu and then the Image Copy button, and then pasting it here.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
DriverBasalt

Post by DriverBasalt »

Pentarctagon wrote: June 17th, 2020, 4:36 am You can provide the library information by clicking on the Image icon on the bottom-left corner of the main menu and then the Image Copy button, and then pasting it here.
Here you go.

The Battle for Wesnoth version 1.14.13
Running on Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601)
Distribution channel: SourceForge

Game paths
==========

Data dir:        C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.13
User config dir: C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14
User data dir:   C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14
Saves dir:       C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\saves
Add-ons dir:     C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons
Cache dir:       C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\cache

Libraries
=========

Boost:             1.59
OpenSSL/libcrypto: 1.1.0f (runtime 1.1.0f)
Cairo:             1.10.2 (runtime 1.10.2)
Pango:             1.30.1 (runtime 1.30.1)
SDL:               2.0.12 (runtime 2.0.12)
SDL_image:         2.0.5  (runtime 2.0.5)
SDL_mixer:         2.0.4  (runtime 2.0.4)
SDL_ttf:           2.0.15 (runtime 2.0.15)

Features
========

JPEG screenshots:               yes
Lua console completion:         yes
Legacy bidirectional rendering: no
Win32 notifications back end:   yes

Current video settings
======================

Current pixel resolution: 1280x960
Refresh rate: 1
SDL reports: 96x96 dots per inch.

Installed add-ons
=================

No add-ons installed.

As for compiling my own version -- that's quite tempting. I have the x86 version installed, but I have a 64 bit OS. (Though it would be juuust a bit like my day job, where quality is job 1.1.)

Edited to add:
I loaded a saved game. I observed that the loading slowed down enormously on the terrain step. Just a guess, maybe the capability for terrain animations is the culprit, even though the setting to enable the capability is turned off.
DriverBasalt

Post by DriverBasalt »

I finally am back to follow up. I uninstalled 1.14.13 and downgraded to 1.13.14. Wesnoth had the same performance issue.

Maybe I do have to build an x64 version.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I'm definitely not an expert, far from it, it's also possible that I misunderstand some concepts, but why is your refresh rate "1"? Shouldn't that be in sync with the rate of your monitor? It's 60 for me with a 60 Hz monitor, so I also get a maximum of 60 FPS.
If your refresh rate is 1 Hz, I think that could very well be the cause for this extreme performance issue, you only need to find out what's causing it. Maybe someone can tell you how to set this value in Wesnoth, if the issue is there (I don't know how). If not, then I'd check the monitor refresh rate with a performance monitor tool while the game is running, and see if it can be changed then. I'd also check any application you have that's capable of capping FPS (like Nvidia Inspector), maybe one of those is the culprit, and it's unintentionally capping your game at such ridiculously low fps.
It could also very well be a fault with the libraries, but I know nothing about those sadly.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Some potential options:
* Try adding the option --fps 60 to the Wesnoth shortcut to try forcing it to 60 FPS.
* Try getting Wesnoth through Steam and see if the Steam version works better.
* Try 1.15 and see if the issue happens there as well.
* If you do want to compile it yourself, the instructions for that on Windows are here (requires Visual Studio 2019).
levante

Post by levante »

With Version 1.14.15 the graphic performance has seemingly decreased, compared to 1.14.14. All interactions / movements are now quite laggy / stuttery. Made me switch back to the last version instantly.
MacBook Pro 13" (2012), 2.9 GHz i7, 16 Gig RAM, OS 10.13.6
echo13

Post by echo13 »

Display: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor: 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

I was attempting to migrate from Wesnoth 1.14.5 to Wesnoth 1.14.14 to get all of the latest updates. However, when I opened Wesnoth 1.14.14, the actions where extremely slow, with everything but the sound taking 1-3 seconds longer then normal to complete. I then downloaded it on Steam to see if it was a migration issue, and I still had the same problems.
(I am assuming that Wesnoth 1.14.14 is compatible with Catalina, but if not, I guess that is the reason)

So I just wanted to report here, and let y'all know that at least one mac user is having a problem (I can run it on Windows without any trouble).

Thanks,
Echo
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The most recent version of Wesnoth is 1.14.15 by the way.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Wesnoth 1.14.15 (flatpak version) under debian 9 on a thinkpad (fast pc)

Turned on minimap terrain coding (had it off for a long time) recently and suddenly suffered extremely jerky movement animations. When I turned it off again it went back to smooth animations.

I also still have 1.14.5 and 1.12 installed and 1.12 is smooth as silk with terrain coding on while 1.14.5 is a little jerky with it on (not as much as .15 though). Looks like a problem with 14.
go_fig

Post by go_fig »

I'm not sure if this is should be considered a performance issue, bug, or neither. Not a big deal for me, but sharing in case it points to something of interest. I am getting crackle and slowdown in the music (including theme music on launch) on my otherwise very capable desktop PC (Win 10). The issue arises when I'm using a Focusrite 2i2 (3rd gen) audio interface, in which case it occurs with fair probability. If I switch to the PC's built-in sound, there is no problem.

Battle for Wesnoth v1.14.16
Started on Wed Apr 28 10:42:40 2021

Automatically found a possible data directory at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\wesnoth

Data directory:               C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\wesnoth
User configuration directory: C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14
User data directory:          C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14
Cache directory:              C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\cache

Setting mode to 1920x1080
Checking lua scripts... ok
Medusa117

Post by Medusa117 »

I don't understand why the Game is so laggy i have Frametimes from normal to over 16000ms thats 16 seconds. And also the Game is not using anything from the Systems so i really hope the 64bit version in v1.16 will do heavy work or i dont know. Even with an mod that woud upgrade anything to 4k ( just a thinking) the game woud not run that bad. Also i know it it has also mutch to do with the Extension but cmon. I play this game now vor over a Dekade and never had a better pc than now but also such laggs. :/
Hier könnte Ihre Werbung stehen.