SLOW Performance Issues: post here to report

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
notnot

Re: SLOW Performance Issues: post here to report

Post by notnot »

Pentarctagon wrote: December 2nd, 2018, 4:00 pm I'd suggest turning off water animations and see if that helps. You can also try this.

Otherwise, I'd suggest getting a more up to date version via ppa(current is 1.14.5, 1 2) or flatpak, or try using the nvidia blob driver.
None of the above helped in any way. To be more detailed, the real slowness was in the yellow hexagonal cursor not being able to keep up with the mouse pointer. It was lagging way behind and delayed all actions. I downloaded and compiled 1.12 from source.
A new ubuntu update to disco solved my issue with 1.14. It's now as fluid as 1.12 was, even with all animations on.
Thanks for all the work that goes into Wesnoth.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

You can turn off the colored cursor.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

RAMOTTO wrote: August 21st, 2019, 12:37 pm whenever I click a catch in the entryway or battle/situation choice screen, it takes around thirty seconds to stack. Its quite irritating.
Welcome to the forums. That does sound irritating, but we can't help you yet because you didn't give us enough information. Look at the first post in this thread. It tells you what information we need. When you say "catch in the entryway," are you talking about a button in the main menu?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Glxblt76

Post by Glxblt76 »

Dear fellow Wesnoth players,

I have a very simple lag that is also very irritating in the scenario editor.

I want to make a 200x200 map. I like making large maps and playing 4v4, with 3 computers allies and 4 computer enemies. I like these huge battles, it can go on for months on my computer, it's my playstyle.

Now the problem is that if I generate a 200x200 map, and I click on an hexagon to place some terrain, it will lag like for 5-10 seconds before the terrain is changed. I noticed that this lag scales with map size: it is virtually non-existent for 40x40 maps and starts being noticeable around 100x100 map.

Is there anything I can do to remove this lag so that I can conceive my 200x200 map? Is there any mod? Because right now, I won't wait 10 seconds for every tile to place. With a 40000 tiles maps, it can be pretty long, especially when it's something avoidable.

PS: my computer is windows 10 professional, 1TB SSD, i7-6600 dual core CPU with 16GB of ram, graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GPU. It seems to be relatively powerful, I don't get why I have lag with such a basic game as Battle for Wesnoth.

Thanks in advance for your help!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

It may be trying to update all of the tile borders every time you add a tile. Try turning off the automatic transition updates. In the menu, go to Map-->Transition Update, and choose the last option. The map will look very basic that way, but it should place tiles a lot faster. You can use Map-->Refresh Display or Ctrl-D to update the display manually when it's convenient.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

The map editor in Wesnoth 1.12 seems to work better for large maps. (Actually the Wesnoth 1.8 map editor is even better yet.)
Flyterlol

Post by Flyterlol »

I started playing again and I am having a lot of lag, basically when I click something it takes a little delay to things to register, for characters to start moving to show the units movements etc only in map things the menu and other interfaces are ok. This happened in the add ones legends of the invicibles (started okay ish as far as I remember and it got worse and worse so I ended up stop playing for like a month, today I went and tried to play another add on because I thougth it was an add on problem and tried to play oath of allegiance and I had lag since scenario one.

My version is 1.14.9(9eba78f- Modified), I am playing it in steam in case it matters and I have tried all sorts of stuff like disabling map animations etc doesnt seem to make a difference. I am using Windows 10, 8gb ram AMD A10-8700P RADEON R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 1,80 GHz

I don't think its a computer problem I play way heavier games with no problems at all its not like Wesnoth is a heavy game, I never had problems like these before in this game so it's pretty weird maybe its a version problem or something ? All add ons are compatible with the version so idk.

I would really apreciate help, I have been playing this game on and off since I was like 8 years old which make it like 10 years so I would really like to be able to play it again. Thanks
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Your screen size can be a big factor too. Try playing in a small window and see if that resolves the problem. If it does, then at least you know. Playing in steam may make a difference, but I haven't tried it, so I don't know. (Wesnoth is single-threaded and uses the CPU for a lot of the rendering, so most of your expensive hardware isn't really helping, sadly.)
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Flyterlol

Post by Flyterlol »

I tried changing window size but it didn't make a difference sadly.

The thing is I never used to have problems playing the game so maybe something changed ? I am gonna try download the non steam version as I don't really know what else to do.

Edit: The non steam version made no difference :/
Last edited by Flyterlol on December 11th, 2019, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Wasn't there something about a threading option or environment variable or something like that for a similar issue some time over the past few months?
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Flyterlol wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:36 pm The thing is I never used to have problems playing the game so maybe something changed ?
Note that the game was heavily rewritten for version 1.14 (it was converted from using SDL version 1.2 to 2.0) - it now requires more resources than version 1.12 and earlier.
Tad_Carlucci wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:38 pm Wasn't there something about a threading option or environment variable or something like that for a similar issue some time over the past few months?
There's the OMP_WAIT_POLICY environment variable, which might make the game use less CPU, but I don't think that will actually make it perform better.
Flyterlol

Post by Flyterlol »

Should I just give up and play an older version ? I don't play multiplayer so maybe I wouldn't lose that much in just playing an old version. Did it change a lot between those two versions ?

And I still find it weird that my laptop cant run wesnoth, I know it's not a super computer at all but I have run games that in my head seem much heavier cpu wise than wesnoth which is just a click game, and when the game came out on steam the first time I played it for a while and it ran fine with no problems and I don't think the steam release version was 1.12.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Flyterlol wrote: December 12th, 2019, 9:51 am And I still find it weird that my laptop cant run wesnoth, I know it's not a super computer at all but I have run games that in my head seem much heavier cpu wise than wesnoth which is just a click game, and when the game came out on steam the first time I played it for a while and it ran fine with no problems and I don't think the steam release version was 1.12.
Strange ... You could try installing version 1.14.0 and see if that makes a difference (the current version is 1.14.9), although I would not expect there to be much difference between the various 1.14.x versions (they usually have just minor bug fixes only).

Are you sure nothing has changed on your machine (e.g., you don't have anything else installed which might be running in the background)? What does the CPU utilization in Windows Task Manager look like? Generally you should expect it to be using only a few percent of CPU when sitting idle running nothing, and then maybe around 25% of CPU when running Wesnoth (assuming you have 4 CPU cores).

You might also want to try running Wesnoth without any add-ons installed in case it's a bad add-on that's causing the problem.
Flyterlol

Post by Flyterlol »

Strange ... You could try installing version 1.14.0 and see if that makes a difference (the current version is 1.14.9), although I would not expect there to be much difference between the various 1.14.x versions (they usually have just minor bug fixes only).

Are you sure nothing has changed on your machine (e.g., you don't have anything else installed which might be running in the background)? What does the CPU utilization in Windows Task Manager look like? Generally you should expect it to be using only a few percent of CPU when sitting idle running nothing, and then maybe around 25% of CPU when running Wesnoth (assuming you have 4 CPU cores).

You might also want to try running Wesnoth without any add-ons installed in case it's a bad add-on that's causing the problem.
I tried everything you said, the cpu usage was just as you said so that didn't seem to be the issue.

I unnistalled all the add ons (this was probably the problem) and downloaded the version 1.14.7 and now it seems to be working fine. I think it was probably the add ons but I will just stick with this version for now since the problem seems to be solved and there probably arent many differences between the two versions.

Anyway, thanks for your help :)
Andrey

Post by Andrey »

On my machine, Wesnoth runs faster if SDL2 it's linked to has been compiled without assembly optimizations - that is, its configure script has been run with --disable-assembly flag prior to the compilation (alternatively, --disable-mmx --disable-sse or --disable-loadso).

On the main menu screen, when I move the mouse over the buttons, there is a ~1 sec delay before they fire up if SDL2 is asm-optimized; without optimizations, the delay is mostly gone.

According to profiling data (operf), the most heavily used SDL2 functions are BlitRGBtoRGBPixelAlpha (~5-15% of the samples) when the asm optimizations are off, and BlitRGBtoRGBPixelAlphaMMX (~30-40%) otherwise.

Slackware Linux 14.2 32-bit (kernel 4.4.217-smp, glibc 2.23), Wesnoth v1.14.11 (compiled by GCC 5.5.0 with CXXFLAGS="-pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=native -O0", hardening disabled), 2GB RAM (SODIMM DDR2 533 MHz), Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz.
SDL2-2.0.12 compiled with CFLAGS="-pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=native -O0" (same behavior with 2.0.10).
Attachments
build-info.txt
(1000 Bytes) Downloaded 406 times