Scenario 4: Bay of Pearls

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jozrael

Re: Scenario Review: HttT - Bay of Pearls

Post by Jozrael »

It takes me a little less than 5 turns to get the quick druid into position, and I get the southern mermen on turn 3.

I've never actually tried rushing the northern cage first =o. Counterintuitive to me, but I guess I'll give it a go next time I'm on Wesnoth.
mcv

Post by mcv »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium. 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2. After the initial wave of orcs, they simply stopped building, whereas I had way more money than I could possibly spend. Most of my units bever saw any action. The fight at sea was slightly more challenging, but still not hard. My instant army of mermen killed the sea orc leader in his keep without needing the trident.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very. Kill the orc leaders. One or the other, or both. I did both.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, but not terribly interesting. Also, if the orcs were holding the mermen captive, shouldn't there have been some guards around?

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Figuring out how and who to move to sea. I originally thought I'd need that little boat. Turns out it's just scenery. Other than that, it's trivially easy.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
5. The half land/half sea thing is nice, and getting land units to the island takes a lot of time. However, since I receive a huge army of mermen in turn 1, it's all moot. And the fight on land is little more than a long walk to the other end.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More opposition, less overwhelming force on my side. Maybe protect the mermen cages, or space them so I can't open them all on the first turn.
Grisogonus

Post by Grisogonus »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

(1) Medium difficulty. version 1.6.1.
(2) 5 - not very difficult, probably because a load of money I brought with me from Blackwater scenario, unfortunately I recalled much more troops than I actually needed. That sea orc leader was harder to kill though, it took a bit of planning with mermen, but in the end I levelled 2 of them into mermean warriors. Got plenty of other lvl troops, including 2 white mages, got Konrad to lvl 2, yey :lol2:
(3) Very clear, kill at least one, but both are better...
(4) I didn't get why Konrad went there in the first place, but what the heck!
(5) Sea orc proved a solid challenge, not too hard though.
(6) 7 - It was fun to make battle in the sea for a change, totally different approach.
(7) Maybe incorporate Bay of Pearls into storyline, seems a bit off mark, it's just cosmetics anyway...
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?
medium. 1.7
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
quite clear.
I liked how merfolk were introduced.
(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
picking which merman to take the trident.
none.

my strategy was to have 6 elite units to surround my elf shyde and fight the leader on land. then use sheer numbers to overwhelm the sea leader.
Ceilo

Post by Ceilo »

Medium, 1.6

Absolutely clear.

It doesn't become clear why Konrad has to go to the Bay of Pearls and not some other possible battleground. But given the fact he goes there, storyline and dialog are o.k. I especially liked the stupid ork.

Avoiding early battles at sea, build a compact army on land.

None.
Jarkko

Post by Jarkko »

Easy, 1.6.5

Around 3

Kill one or both of the enemy leaders. How clearer can it get? :P

I didn't quite get Delfador's sudden leaving. He talked about "going around the bay" - but it looked a bit more like Delfador running away like a little... *ahem* ...cat. I mean, there was a clear WAY around the bay. Or did Delfador want to keep his robe dry :o

I was also expecting a nifty phrase from the Orc leader as Bugg dies - even going as far as thanking the player for taking him out :roll: .

Well, I had a bit of rush in getting troops to a static defense line, as those wolf riders and grunts just begun to emerge. Because most of the time my ground force was stuck in keeping those orcs at bay, all real fun job was practically done by mermen.

I might focus on terraforming the map a bit more. While it may not give any strategic importance (or even might hamper your strategies), the map (especially the ground parts) looked like, it was done a bit hastily. It was kinda... Flat :(
| My Art Corner | The White Lich (Fan Fic) |
Translating Wesnoth into finnish
Nalfeshnee

temp

Post by Nalfeshnee »

Latest 1.8.x, Easy.

3. Beat it so quickly that I thought I should upgrade from Easy next time. Then I played the next scenario with the Liches and the difficulty level shot through the roof.

Clear, although I wondered where Delfador was all the time.

Not so captivating although Bugg was quite fun.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? [2]

The bats gave me pause initially but then I unlocked the mermen, leveled my horsemen and wiped the floor with everyone.

7. It was fun to attack hapless orcs with Knights that could kill them in nearly one go.

Well, it is maybe too easy, even on Easy.

[1] preferably, this should be rated relative to other scenarios in the campaign, such that the easiest scenario in the campaign is rated '1', and the most difficult '10'. i.e. even if you didn't think the campaign is very hard, you should still rate the hardest scenario '10'.
[2] this question has been adjusted from previous surveys for clarity.
Sam-Lloyd

Post by Sam-Lloyd »

Challenging 1.8.1

Clear

Very interesting, my first experience in sea fights

Sacrifice the minimum of merfolks

There should be some hints in the dialog about the storm trident
Attachments
HttT-The_Bay_of_Pearls_replay.gz
(32.73 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
2.5 - Horsemen + Wide-open spaces = victory

No problem.

Sea Orc bit was great; he should get more lines!
Not clear why Orcs have bats here and no where else.

Keeping the merfolk alive in the early going to fend off the bats.
Not having auto-kill Delfador around.
Slow recruiting was just annoying, not really a problem.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
4 + 1 for Sea Orc comedy. Running down Orcs at day with Horsemen is cool. Magical weapons are fun too. But not that fun when it's easy.

Varied terrain- the flat plain is boring.
Since the slow recruiting doesn't really serve a purpose, give Konrad another space for putting his guys into play.
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

Hard 1.8.3.

5 (finishing it), 7 (finishing without losing any relevant unit or merman).

Clear enough.

The sea orc is cute, albeit a little random, but i would have liked more dialog for the merman relating to the trident (bad idea to introduce new gameplay elements without explanation), what it is and why is there, and maybe some dialog the first time a merman and a naga fight (they hate each other, right?).

Not losing any merman (really unnecesary, but i'm a perfectionist).

I like the idea of a sea and land front at the same time.

Is really good as it is, i would only change those things about the trident and the mermans. Maybe a "pearl" item that you could get and would give you additional money, being defended by some sea monsters or whatever.
Blackadder

Post by Blackadder »

Medium 1.6, Hard 1.8.3

1 to complete the objectivies
2 to free all the mer men, particularly the ones in the north and to get the trident for a quick mer man.

Very

The comic relief dialog involving Bugg the "Sea Orc" needs to be polished up to flow with the rest of the campaigns dialogue, right now it very clearly sounds like it doesn't belong.

Additionally, as a theme carried throughout the campaign there's an annoying unity of perspective on the part of the protagonists. Specifically they all see the Queen as evil and assume the worst of her at every turn without deviation. This is especially strange since the Queen is using orc Proxies for the entire first half of the Campaign. It seems strange that there is no question as to why the orcs are running rampant through Wesnoth despite not flying the queen's banner. To have Delfadore assume that the Queen is behind these acts is sensible, but there is never any support given to his claims; it is simply stated as fact that the orcs are mercenaries of the queen who must be stopped.

The dialogue throughout this half of the Campaign suffers as a result. Notably, the dialogue improves when Lisar joins the group as she represents an opinion differing from that of the Delfadore Hive Mind. Konrad is 17-19 in the campaign, though he is home schooled, perhaps it would make sense to write his character as a little bit less trusting of authority. Alternatively, Konrad could be portrayed as naive during the first scenario, not believing that the Queen had sent the orcs but that they had simply penetrated deep into Wesnoth until he meets with Delfadore's old apprentice on the Isle of Aduin.

As another alternative to rewriting dialogue you could retcon it by saying that Delfadore cast a Jedi mind trick on Konrad and his army convincing them to believe him without question. :P

Luring the Island Orc leader off of his Keep to so that the mer men can fight him from the water.

2 : Open ground is boring, open sea is boring. But the Mer maid with the magic damage and the thunder trident are awesome.

The border between deep water and shallow water should be less discrete, additionally there should be more reefs in the Bay of Perls. a bit of swamp along the beach areas also might make sense.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

1. Medium 1.8
2. For the first time I play: 6 . For the second time: 4
3. Very
4. Pretty funny, I laughed out loud when Bugg die :mrgreen:
5. Defeat the Nagas guarding the north cage, once I get the strorm triden, take out the north Orc was easy
6. 8
7. Nope
R.I.P
Orcus_Christ

Re: Scenario 4: Bay of Pearls

Post by Orcus_Christ »

Content Feedback wrote: (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(1) Medium. Version 1.8
(2) 5.
(3) Crystal.
(4) Bugg was funny.
(5) Freeing all the mermen.
(6) 5. I don't like mermen much, but the dialog was amusing and the storm trident was cool.
(7) None.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1.8.3 Medium and others...

3. In the beginning it looks like a promising scenario. Two Opponents, one easy to reach, the other one hard to reach and You have to decide if You kill bth or just the easy one, risking being outflanked by the other one. But You get so many mermen that the hard to reach opponent actually is killed in a breeze without using Your regular units because he can't recruit units strong enough to pose a threat

Very clear

It was clear, but not very interesting and one thing I didn't quite get. Delfador mentions he goes around the bay, so I expected him to show up around the top of the map, maybe during the final attack. But he shows up after the final attack nearly at the point where he started, at the bottom of the map. So he didn't go around the bay at all. He just left and returned after the fight was over. It felt more like: "I have to go pee down at the river, You go and fight while I do my business"
On the plus side the sea orc was quite funny, but a bit misplaced in my opinion.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? [2]
None. The Mermen are nearly a chain reacion. The first unit You recruit unlocks the first cage, the inhabitants of the first cage unlock the second cage in the same round, the inhabitants of the second cage unlock the third cage. In just two rounds all mermen except the ones guarded by the naga are in Your possession and ready to kick some sea orc ass.

4. It could be more fun if there would be some kind of challenge

Maybe less mermen.
In the long run, the bunch of loyal mermen You get in this scenario is quite useless, also Your ability to recruit them. Except in this scenario there is none in which you really need them, except optional ones. Well... one in which You need them and one optional scenario You can unlock with mermen. Otherwise they are quite useless. Even in the Ford of Abez Scenario I rather recall high level units than low level mermen, so I tend to disband them because they crowd my units list and make recalling low level units scattered between them quite a stress for my scroll wheel.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

1 (kill one leader), 3 (kill both). The winning strategy is pretty obvious.

Crystal clear.

I found the dialogue very interesting, and I particularly enjoyed the sea orc comedy relief.

Not really a challenge, but getting past the two naga guards can be tricky (and it can make the difference between victory and defeat).

8, very good. Although it was easy, I liked the fact that it required an unusual strategy. The dialogue also contributes to the fun.

None, it's very good as it is (in spite of being too easy for my taste).
Linux. Space technology.