Scenario 3: Isle of Alduin

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ChargeofAddryn

Re: Scenario 3: Isle of Alduin

Post by ChargeofAddryn »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Version 1.11.7 and Medium difficulty.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

Unlike previous scenarios in HttT that I have given feedback on and reviewed, where this question was hard for me, I can give a definitive answer here. A 3/10. This was to put it bluntly and simply, easy. Almost far to easy in my opinion. I always felt that this scenario is sort of a proving ground for those who have gotten past 1 and 2. its like a "can you fight without allies", followed by the Bay of Pearls which in return takes away the crutch of that uberpowerful Delfador. The problem is this wasn't that for me this time around. The AI just sent a few units at me towards the north, where I usually confront them just across the river at the two villages and hold their first attacks off before breaking them and routing em. The problem is there weren't really any first attacks, it was an uncoordinated stream of units. My Elven "commandos" going around the to the southern patch of forests had fun picking off a wolf rider or to and then I just let them sit there because I didn't want to end the scenario to early by killign the enemy leader. here is the kill vs loss count. 20 them, vs 1 mine. That 1 was a horsemen who did not have my "desirable traits" and hadn't gain but a few experience through the battle so I purposely charged him with a bit of risk at a unit he could have killed, not really caring. He got unlucky and died. I really feel this scenario has lost some of its difficulty, and the AI should get a bit more initial gold on Medium difficulty perhaps, so that it can get more units into the fight. Still I can't ocmplain to much, I have two more knights a sorceress another hero and a level 2 elvish scout (for some reason I can't recall the name :hmm: ).

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Very, no problem her. Take back the Island by killing every orc.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It was interesting dialogue. It gives you an idea of how "no where is safe, and everywhere we shall face the bad guys". I think Delfador's lines about it being his home and how he was amazed the orcs had even come there did well to indicate this.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Not any really, except not meeting them to early. Otherwise I had no challenges.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

I am actually going to just give this a 6. It is fun still and I loved getting leveled units, but looking back I wanted more of a challenge. Something to get me on my toes a little. Not to tough or anything but not overly easy. It simply didn't do that. It was still fun though. (5 is the average, its not a necessarily bad number just remember.)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

More initial starting gold to the enemy to allow them to get a few more troops on medium difficulty. They have a ton of income at the start, but if you take that from them they are worthless.

P.s. The dialogue in which Delfador's apprentice mentions the Elensefar treaty again adds depth to the world and is a good thing to have in there.
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Champion (Challenging) 1.11.6, Shamans only (and loyals)
155 starting gold, enemy: 100
Finished turn 16/21

The first night is the only chance where things might get a little out of hand. After that it’s definitely a walk in the park.

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear

None.

This is the first scenario where you can dominate the enemy. And the first one where Konrad can pick up XP.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.
Attachments
HttT-The_Isle_of_Alduin_replay.gz
shamans only
(29.15 KiB) Downloaded 740 times
line

Post by line »

Champion (Challenging) 1.11.12, Shamans only (and loyals)
158 starting gold, enemy: 100
Finished turn 16/21

I had to beef up my southern front. 3 shamans could not get the job done, so I had to add a sorcerress.
Attachments
shamans only
(29.58 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
kiss

Post by kiss »

First play as Fighter (beginner) 1.10.7

Before even a look at the map, I wonder where are those orcs following me from the previous scenario.
Thinking about the previous one, I do not say I've finished the scenario before the objective was reached. Maybe I'll try to wait the next time.

Wasn't it supposed to be a paradise island with a lot of magi? I hope I'll found some well hidden.
I have to say: you really work deeply on details! The map have nearly the same shape than in the world map. Well done, congrats.

If I remember well it is the first time I have to split my army. It will be a nice training.
At first sight, it seems obvious to send scout and horsemen on the west side and elves on the east's one. But I suspect a trap somewhere! I think the key point is 10,24 villages. After a closer look, I suspect first fight should be arround 10,18 and 26,26.
Now I have to build two groups accordingly.

I don't have level 2, but a nearly leveled Elvish Archer. Konrad and a horseman are half the way. Haldiel still don't have xp at all.
I keep an intelligent strong scout and try to get an intelligent shamann.

Strategy: send the unexperienced units west with Delfador and the experienced east with Konrad.

Turn 1: first move, first nugget! So, here are magi ... interesting.
Turn 2, 5: huuu, it hurts and I forgot to take into account some enemy units.
Turn 6: I'm not confident in the end of that turn. A chance they don't hurt much.
Turn 7: again a wrong analysis of possible move.
Turn 8, ..., 17: over.

I've forgot the hidden magi! Nice encounter at the end, will he follow?

Loss: 1 lvl1.
Advancement: Konrad commander, 1 Elvish Marsman.
End turn: 17/34.
Gold carried over: 400.
Experience: nearly all my units are mid lvl 1 but Haldiel.

My bet about first encounter wasn't good enough for the west side and I loose a unit here ... Maybe I push south too far or should retreat?
I don't know if my groups were balanced, but the result isn't that bad.
I've trapped myself forgetting the key point I've spotted ...
Attachments
(24.39 KiB) Downloaded 716 times
Tzaot

Post by Tzaot »

Just one thing: Chance to miss target + maximal round cap = GRRR! :x
Especially in Thusagan's Hammer, the fifth I think, snow mountain scenario in which you get roadblocked by trolls and gryphons and need to reach the signpost in 18 turns.
Other than that I enjoyed the campaign alot.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 210 gold

I took one look at the # of villages on the map & the Status Table / Scenario Settings and thought seize all the villages as efficiently as possible. I did it too well, I should have seized a little less so I could xp farm a bit better.
Attachments
1.12.5 Normal
(31.93 KiB) Downloaded 676 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

1.12.5, normal

1.45-ish. IIRC, this scenario used to be harder and you had to split your forces to deal with it nicely. Expecting that, I filled my castle on the 1st turn and split my forces, only to realize that it's going to be an overkill. There was practically no opposition on the eastern flank and the enemy units on the west trickled slowly towards me instead of attacking in unison and couldn't really pose much of a threat.

Clear.

Very well done.

There was nothing I could really consider a challenge...

7, because completely crushing a helpless enemy feels rather good from time to time ^^.

I think that making it a bit harder would make it more interesting without making it frustrating. Having a very easy scenario where you can safely gather XP is alright considering that the next scenario is (as far as I remember) quite a bit more challenging but this is just too easy IMHO.

Miscellaneous:
-starting gold: 186
-recruits(5): Mage, Horseman, Archer, Fighter, Shaman
-recalls(3): Sorceress, Rider, Knight (Haldiel)
-finished on turn 12/24
-end: 280 gold; 35/36 villages
-my horsemen were quite uncooperative with regards to hitting enemy units...
-worse luck then on previous scenarios but it was to be expected...
-no reloads, no losses, practically no potential losses either; OTOH, no advancements either
-XP: Shaman close to advancing; other recruits and loyal mage roughly halfway there; very little XP gained on recalls and if I knew how easy the scenario was, I could've easily done without them
-dmg dealt: +0%
-dmg received: +26%
Attachments
(31.34 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

(1) Normal difficulty, Wesnoth 1.13.5
(2) 4; fairly easy to get the kill within the turns limit
(3) Crystal clear
(4) I wondered why the powerful Arch Mage stayed inside the whole time, but other than that the dialogue was fine
(5) No real challenges
(6) 5; a fairly simple scenario
(7) I'm not sure how to make it more interesting
MrA4

Post by MrA4 »

(1) Champion (Challenging) 1.12.6
(2) 4 I didn't have much trouble, but I couldn't just attack, attack, attack. I had to retreat and backtrack a couple times.
(3) Clear
(4) The Dialog at the beginning is a bit dull.
(5) Having to retreat, because didn't recruit enough.
(6) 8 One of my favorite.
(7) I can't think of anything except some better dialog
Attachments
(32.17 KiB) Downloaded 697 times
MTaur

Post by MTaur »

1. Difficulty setting - Challenging 1.14.2
2. Personal difficulty - 4 I did have to restart, but with some patience it's not too bad. Conceding some villages early on still leaves ample time to crush the enemy after managing a long record of favorable damage trades.
3. Clarity - Clear.
4. Dialog/storyline - Adequate.
5. Challenges - Two fronts + mountains. This is a very profitable map for XP, so there's a lot of pressure to go out and earn it.
6. Fun - 7 Finally, a chance to farm XP! Two Loyal units eager to learn...
7. Changes - Maybe give Elrian more to say about the situation. Perhaps an interaction with his mentor could be added if he survives to the end.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Beginner

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]

- Easy, kill the orc

- Pretty interesting. Like how Elrian shows up and you get a quick tutorial about them. Plus Seimus' line overshadows the possible next scenario

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? [2]

- None

- Maybe if I could find more mages in the village or at least keep Seimus as one of my loyal units
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

LordWolfDan wrote: October 12th, 2018, 2:56 pm - Maybe if I could find more mages in the village or at least keep Seimus as one of my loyal units
Seimus could join the party in Muff Malal's Peninsula, if that route is taken, to reduce the difference from Isle of the Damned.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Seimus is just there to provide continuity by sending you to the Bay of Pearls. If he were to join you, it would make sense that he leave with Delfador at the start of that scenario, and not return when Delfador does. Having an Arch Mage join, loyal or not, would be unbalancing. I could see, however, that if you have not, yet, met Elrian, Seimus would call him forth. Or, if Elrian was lost, Seimus might call forth another apprentice to replace him. Seimus, then, would instruct his apprentice to lend assistance.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Forget Seimus then. The Isle of the Damned path gives the player
Spoiler:
so I thought it would help balance to have some loyal mage join if the player takes the Muff Malal path. Perhaps the extra mage shouldn't be an Arch Mage but a lvl2 or even lvl1 mage, or even some other unit type entirely (something that can be found in the Peninsula and is good against undead... Hmm...)

I don't think Seimus should replace Elrian if he dies, except perhaps on easiest difficulty. Keeping loyal units from dying is part of the challenge.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14.7, Champion (Challenging)
1.15.0, Champion (Challenging)

Clear.

Clear.

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.
Attachments
HttT-The Isle of Alduin replay.gz
(24.25 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
HttT-The Isle of Alduin replay.gz
(20.74 KiB) Downloaded 563 times