Scenario 3: Isle of Alduin

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gerion

Re: Scenario 3: Isle of Alduin

Post by Gerion »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.3 Medium and other difficulties in other versions

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
3. Easy. I didn't lose even one unit but some were close to being killed

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear and interesting enough. It is the first time the 'fight against the queen' storyline is really acknowledged.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? [2]
None

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6. Really fun, The fight is not too hard, You get a loyal unit and quite good dialogue

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None I could think of
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.5 Hard
3 It's easy if you are defending and attacking from right place.
Very Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
clear
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? [2]
Try to keep my veterans at night.
8 Very fun and challenging.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Nothng
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4, slightly below average

Very clear

Clear and satisfactory. However, the setting offers the opportunity for great dialogue (eg background of the island, hints of Delfador's or the loyal's mage past, etc.)

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None

8, very good. That's mostly because of a good map, which offers a number of strategic possibilities.

The dialogue can get much better, but in general it's a very well made scenario.
Linux. Space technology.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.9.4, Normal

2, but only because I wanted to avoid losses and did a poor job when splitting up my forces

Clear

Fine

Doing a poor job when splitting my forces caused me some trouble that could have been avoided

No changes.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
HttT-The_Isle_of_Alduin_replay.gz
(22.16 KiB) Downloaded 778 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Normal, Hard, 1.9.4

2 for hard difficulty.

Clear.

Clear. It's okay.

It can be difficult to know where to send my druid and loyals, south or west, at the beginning, which I think is a good thing.

There are two villages that are adjacent to each other. Remove one. Also, I'd recommend removing the northwestern peninsula, or at least the 2 villages on and the 2 villages near it, since there is never any action in that part of the map, and having control of all those villages is too much of an advantage for whoever gets them. Either that, or add some reason for the players to go there, aside from grabbing villages. I think the rationale for all the villages on the map is that magi are good in villages, and this is supposed to be a scenario focused on magi. However, I've found that spamming horsemen is always my best strategy. So... maybe change the enemy from orc to undead?
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty? Challenging (hard); 1.9.5; starting gold 144
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 3
(3) How clear? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? The early part of the scenario is tricky, as the enemy is strong then.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 7
(7) Changes? Could change to a very small castle, which might make it more of a challenge.
(8) Restarts/reloads? None.

My replay crashes after the opening dialog, so no replay or screenshot attached. I followed the advice in the walkthrough pretty closely and skated to an easy victory, milking for XP until the last turn.
Last edited by Maiklas3000 on May 17th, 2011, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faello

Post by Faello »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 152 starting gold

Usadar Q'kai (Orcish Warrior) controls all 36 villages when Konrad and Delfador arrive on the island, but he loses ground fast and his initial 100gp is not enough to combat player's forces efficiently if player will divide his army on 2 parts and send the core units into (SW) direction through the river, capturing and slaying whatever he will encounter with 100% initiative. Second part of the army should go (S) - it's probably slightly more difficult front, but initiative can be gained with minimal troubles there (just amass archers, fighters and use ranged attack until you'll feel strong enough to engage in melee). Finished this one in turn 14/21.

3 losses, 20 kills.

Crystal clear.

Interesting and clear.

Gaining initiative on the (S) front.

It's a pleasant scenario with a nice bonus of Elrian (loyal,resilient lvl1 mage) joining players army.

Add more gold to the orcs, it would be harder to defeat them.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

Replay is crashing after the initial dialog, so I'm posting autosave from last turn (shammy slowed Usadar Q'kai, mage attacked him with melee and Konrad beheaded in the end for a lvl up)
Attachments
HttT-The_Isle_of_Alduin-Auto-Save14.gz
Isle of Anduin last turn autosave, Challenging (Champion) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(41.29 KiB) Downloaded 837 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

v1.9.7 - Champion - Challenging

Very clear.

I thought finding the hiding magi was pretty cool. Always enjoy how new troop types are introduced.

Again, keeping my vets alive. Magi like to die as well.

8 - I liked splitting my forces in two for the first time.

None.
Attachments
HttT-The_Isle_of_Alduin_replay.gz
(24.73 KiB) Downloaded 857 times
vodot

Post by vodot »

(1) Challenging. v1.8.6. My first campaign.
(2) 2. No restarts.
(3) 10. Murder, Death, Kill.
(4) 7. Nice work on this one.
(5) Economics. I sent a cavalry force bolstered by Delfador to the west, ate up the villages, and stalled his economy. I brought the elvish horde around the east. The elves crushed his orcs in the trees and on the plains, and he was down to less than one unit per turn by the end.
(6) 10. favorite so far: open country, econ mgmt, large scale. Excellent!
(7) none.
Last edited by vodot on November 22nd, 2011, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.9 (no reloads or use of autosaves)

1 (Provided almost no challenge whatsoever. Slaughtered everybody with my prior experienced units).

I got all of the villages in the end, used leveled up Horsemen to slaughter Grunts. Elvish Archers were effective against Wolf Riders, and Goblin Spearmen could easily be killed by Mages and anything not a Horse unit. AI seemed pretty weak and unaggressive (maybe due to lack of gold that the Orcs had?). Killed off enemy leader with a Knight during the day.

Beautifully simplistic. Superb.

Muy bien. Had no problems whatsoever.

Bringing anything but Elves through the thick forest south of the starting camp.

5 (once again, no challenge. Just hack and slash strategy.)

Orcs need some more gold. Maybe some more obstacles? Left half of the island was almost barren of obstacles and laden with villages. Possibly put the hidden Mage farther away, to create more havoc.

Nope. It was fairly easy on a
cyningstan

Post by cyningstan »

(1) What difficulty level and version...?
Medium, 1.8.6.
(2) How difficult...?
9/10. I needed help from the official walkthrough before I could beat this one. Before that I had tried three different strategies of my own, which all failed.
(3) How clear...objectives?
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting...storyline...?
Very clear and an interesting twist (if not entirely unexpected - there was bound to be a battle of some kind here).
(5) ...challenges...?
Without clarification from the walkthrough the challenge was in getting anywhere near the enemy fortress. Both offensive and defensive strategies had failed, as had the one in between, and I had also relied to heavily on magi, thinking I was taking a hint from the initial dialogue. These weak but powerful units were expensive and mainly got killed. In the end I needn't have recruited any.
(6) How fun...?
7/10. Good fun.
(7) What...changes...?
None that I can think of.
Damian Walker - fell in battle at Elensefar...
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

(7) Changes?

I asked a question on the forums recently as to which was the starting campaign. Although the South Guard was mentioned, a number of responses suggested that Heir to the Throne is the best starting campaign. I certainly concur that HttT is the most polished of all the campaigns and a very good place to dive in. However as a result of that it may be necessary to introduce a few hints and tips in some of the starting scenarios, especially if the player is playing on Easy.

This is the third scenario in and the player ought to be thinking about their long term army. If the player ran for it in scenario one, they probably won't have a recall list worthy of mentioning, but after the second scenario they might have levelled troops or be close to levelling. Here, therefore, is a good occasion to add a little dialog concerning the importance of recalling troops and trying to build up a good standing army. If a player gets into this habit now, they'll stand a much better chance in the Siege of Elensfar, which is normally the first roadblock scenario, than if they haven't appreciated the importance of trying to level up their troops.
Seldam

Post by Seldam »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
medium, 1.10.5;

Compared to the others a bit more difficult, I would say 6.

I understood everything.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Starts to get interesting.

To get all villages as fast as I can.

I loved the map. The scenario was very standard. I would say 7.

I loved the map. The scenario needs no change.
Attachments
DT-Die_Insel_Alduin_Seldam.gz
The replay.
(27.42 KiB) Downloaded 733 times
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Medium 1.10.5

Perfectly clear.

The storyline was slightly confusing. For the first two scenarios I'm told I need to reach the island because I'll be safe there, and then when I get to the island I end up leaving immediately afterwards. While I understand the characters reasons for leaving a line mentioning that I need to take the fight to the queen because the events of the scenario shows no place is safe, or a clarification to the dialog in the earlier scenario that states that the point of reaching the island is to reach a safe place to build a force to fight the queen, would make the change in objectives less jarring.

Holding off the orcs on the western half of the island with a skeleton force of a few units, while the majority of my went down the east side, and even that was only a challenge for a few turns until my income allowed me to recruit a few reinforcements to send to the west. Besides that everything was easy, the orcs had few units and split them up enough that nothing posed a threat to my main force.

9. The scenario feels like the first real battle in the campaign making it more satisfying then it might otherwise be and the two paths around the island creates some interesting complications and I tend to find in general scenarios that force me to fight on multiple fronts to be a lot of fun.

None. The scenario is great as it is.
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy and medium 1.8.5, 1.10.2 and 1.10.5

Relative to other scenarios I'd say 3.

Extremely, given the fact that when you arrive there's only ever one enemy unit on the map.

Although I'm aware of the need to introduce certain elements for new players concerning game play and units (here Mages) I'm getting the distinct impression that either Konrad has led a very sheltered life, has very little self-esteem, or isn't that intelligent.. or even, has the mental age of 6.

Secondly, this has got to be one of the most laidback enemy Orcish leaders in any campaign. This one is so laid back he's almost horizontal.

Initially dealing with the first onslaught (mainly in 1.8.5) but usually it's getting enough XP, particularly to level up a Mage. Then it's getting the enemy to actually fight.

At one point, when I was not very experienced at playing Elves this was engaging, the first big battle in the campaign. Now it's rather a game of cat and mouse between a few Wolf Riders and my Scouts who pretty much freely run around the island picking up villages and run the enemy ragged.

The map cries out for a full scale major battle. Sure you get a few more enemies on Medium and Hard and I'd even suggest that this scenario is easier on Medium than it is on Easy for that very reason.

I would also change the characters of both main characters Konrad and Delfador and their relationship. It's too adult and child. I'd imagine that growing up with Elves would have made Konrad intelligent, sharp and somewhat cunning. He needs to be driven by the Elvish cause, and more determined to be King for them as well as himself. Some of the cunning he would have got from Delfador, who I imagine would have been extremely wise and strong.

The enemy Orc needs to be much, much tougher. Currently he sends out the required first and second keep if you're lucky (usually he rarely recruits more than three units), gets upset when you capture too many villages and the scenario usually ends up with my units around his keep and him 'feeding' sacrificial enemy units. He could have much more gold, given that there's 36 villages on the map and it doesn't take much to control around 30 of them.

Later in the campaign there's a 'spike' or jump in the level of difficulty starting with The Siege of Elensefar where even on Easy you're going to start needing level 2 units. The Bay of Pearls is okay for farming XP as is Muff Malal's Peninsula, but in the former you get a bunch of Mermen and in the latter most of your enemy is made up from Walking Corpses and this needs to be the scenario you come back to if you find either the Siege or Crossroads too hard.