Scenario 24: Battle for Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario 24: Battle for Wesnoth

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.1, Champion (Challenging)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

None.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Campaign stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
HttT-The Battle for Wesnoth replay.gz
(64.26 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
Poison

Post by Poison »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14.7 Challenging, 958 starting gold, barely enough.

7? 7. Just spam guardsmen... ermm thunderers I mean (since I couldn't spam guardsmen anymore). An occasional knight won't hurt.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear.

Shielding heroes properly.

8, thunderers hitting is so satisfying.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Yes, once I got breached and a horseman reached Lisar hitting two out of two. Even in my second attempt all i was left with was heroes.

Campaign stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
HttT-The Battle for Wesnoth replay Poison.gz
(72.37 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.14.9 Challenging (in Ironman mode), first and (so far) only play of this scenario
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2, very easy, it would have been near impossible to lose; due to no need to preserve units its too easy with recalls
Started with ~900 gold which was enough for 41 recalls
Also note that I played very badly on the scenario before and I would have had even more gold otherwise.
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear but I didnt trust it. Wesnoth scripters are (unfortunately) known to do arbitrary unpredictable scripting (which is inconsistent with the basic game rules) which I dislike. It is supposed to be a strategy game not a guess-the-scripter game. So while technically it was 'very clear' in the context of a) it being too easy b) there being such occurrences c) this being the supposed 'grand finale' I expected 'something to happen'
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear yes but I dont like the overall storyline much and I think its between lame, childish and silly. I also got this impression for this scenario.
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
5. Its different in that I dont need to preserve units. Which makes for a "refreshing gameplay".
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
a) Reduce the distance between own keep and water by a lot to make it sensible to get Merfolk into the water. I think players should be rewarded for keeping them alive for so long. This is for 'fluff' and not for gameplay though.
b) Make it more difficult. Make the map larger. Increase starting keep size so that the player has options other than pure turtle. Logically I would also expect for the queen to have more income or for there being a threat of her main army arriving. This isnt properly consistent with 60 turns. Not trying to say there should be a limiting turn limit but that the low income doesnt make much 'fluff' sense.

Edit: Figured out how to attach replay.
Attachments
HttT-The Battle for Wesnoth replay.gz
(90.99 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm Note: If you didn't know, the final scenario in Heir to the Throne is named "The Battle for Wesnoth." This thread has nothing to do with the overall game - only this one scenario.

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1. Normal/Wesnoth 1.15.12+dev
2. 5/10
3. crystal clear - Kill the ex-lover of Delfador. Simple enough.
4. 6/10
5. Nothing really.
6. 9/10 - I get to recall ALL my level 3 Grand Knights and every other level 3 unit I have.
7. All my Merfolk just stayed in the recall list after S20b so, kind of sad that they had to sit this one out. Kind of sad that Ashievere just sends squishy units at me after I thrash her initial wave. I gave the Queen kill to a Stalwart since he needed 24 XP to advance. :P
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Burce_Wayne

Post by Burce_Wayne »

1.17.3 Hardest difficulty

7/10

Perfectly clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and story-line of the scenario?

Cool and understandable

Maybe a dialogue could be written in the case which the player invade the first enemy castle at turn 3 (this is the fastest way to do it). Like a reward to those who have some ballsy strategies.

To manage to get, at turn 3, Konrad in the enemy base (the one at south) and from there, recall all my mermaid army (take a look to the screenshot)

It was only possible to do it with the 4 knights given in the end of the previous scenario... One must lure the general from the south base at the end of the turn 1, and the three others will form a defensive formation to allow Konrad to have a clear way to the enemy castle. Once the castle taken, reinforcement will complete the defensive formation.

9/10 Beautiful ! So exciting to manage to use my mermaid !!!

By looking the different comments I notice that nobody speak about the strategy I used : Taking the enemy castle at turn 3 and pooping all my army from here.
It is like the level designer of this scenario had thought of this way to win but didn't told to anyone, you have to find it by yourself. When I started to think of this plan, I started imagine a story : the story of a battle won by introducing the city harbor and from there, recall an army of mermaid who will invade the city....
It was so nice to see my plan greatly succeed : mermaid army established their domination in the river and by doing so, all my reinforcement could get a way to the city.
At the end of each turn , Konrad could recruit and recall all kind of troops but mainly some basic dwarfs guard, to tank the counter attack from the remaining enemy's troops (Konrad in the center of this castle can grant his buff to 6 units). The previous wave of dwarfs who manage to survive had to get out from the castle to complete the defensive formation around the others leaders in the ground army.
This is where the plan is so beautiful : the remaining enemy's troop are now trapped between the mermen army in the river and the ground army lead by the war princess,the elves high lord and all the magical mages I could get during the game : this final charge decimated everyone in his way and it was beautiful.
So, thank you for this epic series of scenario , have love, have peace, chocobisoux.

Well... Actually I beat the scenario in turn 9/60... So maybe you should add some difficulties... Not at the beginning, but at the end when the final confrontation approaches.
I would propose that when the queen dies, she rebirths with demonic powers and invoke a large army at some strategic point of the city... If the players didn't kill all the remaining army before he takes down the queen, he will face to great difficulties.
Attachments
Rebelion army list
Rebelion army list
Konrad in the enemy base at T3
Konrad in the enemy base at T3
T6
T6
T7
T7
T9 END
T9 END
Dyrcona

Post by Dyrcona »

I posted my The Test of the Clans replay yesterday, so I am adding my The Battle for Wesnoth replay from this morning.
Normal and Challenging with Wesnoth 1.16.
I played it on Normal about a year ago, and I do not remember how hard it was.

I just played it again on Challenging, and I give it a 4/10 on difficulty only because it took me two tries to finish it.

(I left Delfador exposed and he got killed by 2 Horsemen and an Orcish Crossbowman.)
Crystal clear.
The dialog is good, but I knew the story having done the campaign before.
Not letting my heroes be exposed to more than 1 or 2 attackers. This is not a challenge. I did not pay enough attention to some of the enemy moves on my first try.

Since this is the last scenario, I had no qualms letting my high level and loyal units go.
I give it 6 for fun. The scenario is a standard pitched battle in a field where you basically hold out until the enemy runs out of gold.
This took me 14 turns. It would probably have taken a couple of turns longer if Asheviere was set to passive. (Why does she jump out of the castle to attack?) Her income could probably be increased by a couple of gold without throwing things out of balance.

The other generals could be given villages at the start or have their incomes adjusted upward by a gold or two.

It might be interesting to have some reinforcements pop up, a couple of Royal Guards for instance, when the player's army gets to a certain point.
Attachments
HttT-The Battle for Wesnoth replay 20230128-084328.gz
HttT Battle for Wesnoth 1.16 Replay
(70.83 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
lujo86

Post by lujo86 »

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?

Highest

The queen was deece, everything else including the epilogue felt like placeholder text noone ever bothered with.

(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?

The only thing I even noticed was Longbowmen, as they're difficult to snipe without risk.

I recruited a keep of Guardsmen, then a keep of Leadership units and healers, then a keep of elven warriors, and then a keep of spellcasters, and lined them around my fort, less on the north side, a bit more on the south to have one guy standing on the village there. Then I just tanked and tanked, whittling down units that couldn't shoot back, accepting some losses and rotating my wounded back to the fort to be healed up by a mermaid I had there.

Then when the opponents managed to almost break my formation in the middle, barely, and with a ton of losses on their part, I charged in my 3 Sylphs, Lisar and Delfador (those 2 were tanking on the north side), and just wiped out everything the enemy had north of the new breach. This lead to the whole scrum to break in my favor. I rolled the remaining units into a ball, with a small squad of Sylphs flying solo to the north, and just rolled from one opposing base to the next.

The Queen herself was no challenge at all.

I came in with minimum gold, too. If I came in with more it would've been significantly easier.

Can't rate it, honestly. Felt like a skirmish that happened to involve a lot of high level units on both side, and there was really nothing special about it, just a meatgrinder. On the other hand, it was sorta alright for what it was, uncomplicated, and the campaign is long enough that I was kinda glad for it to wrap up in an uncomplicated way.

I guess the Queen herself could be more powerful, as it felt like if the scrum around your base breaks in your favor there's no challenge left.

Also, the previous two maps kinda waste the novelty of fighting high-level loyalist units, squander, really, and the orcs seem to not contribute very much to the whole scenario, so when you do get here you're fighting what you've been fighting for 2 maps, and it's more straightforward than either. So it's not that there's much terribly wrong with this one, it's that the previous 2 undermine it somewhat.
Orek

Post by Orek »

Content Feedback wrote: (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(1) Challenging (=Champion=Hardest) in 1.14.17 on permadeath
(2) 1 (22nd most difficult = 2nd easiest)
... [Difficult] 2, 16, 14, 4, 9, 6, 5b, 10, 13, 12, 23, 8, 7, 3, 15, 17, 19c, 22, 1, 20b, 11, 24, 18 [Easy]
(3) Very clear
(4) Clear and interesting enough
(5) I had to practice many times to come up with a good assassination strategy.
(6) 5 (14th most fun = 10th most boring)
... [Fun] 2, 1, 6, 9, 5b, 4, 16, 15, 23, 3, 12, 14, 10, 24, 13, 8, 7, 19c, 20b, 11, 17, 22, 18 [Boring]
(7) None
Campaign Stats:
YouTube Link: Run 1 Run 2 Run 3
Walkthrough: HttT walkthrough (hardest, permadeath, v1.14.17) + General campaign guides (Replays for all scenarios can be downloaded from here.)
JL42

Post by JL42 »

What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
v. 1.16.10
Lord / Challenging
How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.
How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very clear; moderately interesting. The writing is strong in this part, especially when Delfadore takes out the queen.
What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The biggest threat (as usual) is the enemy's charging units, as well as just being overwhelmed by the overall enemy numbers. Dwarves are a massive help, and patience seems like the best strategy. I just hold a tight formation and mostly don't attack at all during the day, to give my units more time to heal and to avoid opening up holes that the enemy horsemen can charge into. I let them wear themselves out and then slowly advance at night. This mode of fighting feels vaguely appropriate, since it's the queen's excessive aggression that ultimately causes her defeat.
How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8 – It's a fairly awesome battle, especially for taking place on such a small and precise map. I like how it is set up for the player to come in with lots of gold, which gives you a chance to bring back a large portion of your troops from the previous scenarios. I even got good use out of my mermaid here for extra healing. Ended the scenario with negative 2,000 gold, which I feel should be an Accomplishment or something.
What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.

---------------
About the Overall Campaign:

The maps and storyline here are well-made and polished, though not as completely epic as some of the other campaigns. I like that it is lengthy, giving you time to develop your army, and gradually introduces many different terrains and unit types. This seems like a great beginner campaign since it's fairly easy and the early scenarios are framed as a kind of mentoring environment for the young hero. (However, it's a bit strange that some of the basic dialogue tips, like "hey, loyal units don't require upkeep!" are just now arriving, after I've already played through several previous campaigns without that advice.) There are some glitches that can come up in the Scepter of Fire scenario, and some of the princess-related dialogue around scenarios 17–21 felt a bit confusing and unbelievable (more specific comments in the relevant threads). This campaign is very close to full marks, but due to those few lingering issues and the lack of any real epic blow-you-away maps I'm going to rate it 4 out of 5.