A Tale of Two Brothers

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

This campaign was now added to mainline as beginners campaign. It will be included in the next release, namely 1.1.1. This is sheduled for the next days. The latest changes to the campaign :
  • using the new music system
    reducing the density of forest on the 2nd map
I am looking forward to getting comments on how to improve the campaign for future releases.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Why am I listed in the credits as an art developer for this campaign? The gate graphics were drawn by AT for his Quest Gate campaign (never completed). And besides, I'm not even an artist :) .
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Black wolf

Post by Black wolf »

I would just ike to know if there is a walkthrough as i keep on getting killed in the first scenario.

Thanks

Black wolf
Stop your whining, and get out of my cave!
ponkan

Post by ponkan »

Some things to remember when fighting undead, is that first of all, they have amazing resistance to piercing and bladed (slash) weapons; thus, the footpads are a great asset, as both their melee and ranged attacks are impact damage type. Also, be mindful of the time of day: footpads and undead do the most damage at night, and all the rest of your units function best during the day. To take the least damage, do not attack with your lawful units during the night, and don't attack with your chaotic units (just the footpads) during the day.

The Dark Sorceror is a pain in the behind to deal with, as he hits hard, and very accurately! So you want to do the same. Think about which of your units would hit the hardest, and think of how you can maximize the accuracy of your troops. Remember that terrain is very important, and that you can use bait to lure an enemy into unfavourable terrain; it might cost you the life of one of your loyal troops if you're unlucky (or if you make your move at the wrong time of day, see above), but it would be very doable to end the scenario immediately the turn after.
There is no good, nor evil. Things are; that is all.
Tomyellow

Post by Tomyellow »

ivanovic wrote:I did several balancing changes to make "hard" be playable, too. I also fixed a glitch in the first map and removed the ghosts from the enemy when playing on easy (cf. wesnoth-1.1-svn, ghosts with drain). On the 2nd mission the topmost part of the map is now coverd by shroud. That should make clear that you got to go there.
Thanks to Dragonking for testing the campaign in the hard difficulty level.
Hi,
I tried it on easy and hard too. On easy I accomplished the first scenario without any losses and the others with 1 or 2 losses. On hard I tried the 2nd scenario at least 5 times and I feel myself chanceless. I stucked into the castle, if I go anywhere the leaving unit is dead and the enemy rush in the castle. Are there some possibility what I didn't realized?
All under 1.2.4.

Cheers,
Tomyellow
SkyOne

Re: A Tale of Two Brothers

Post by SkyOne »

Hello,

I have just finished test-playing TB to make sure the [ai] works as well or not on BfW 1.11.7.
Finishing it on HARD, I think the [ai] works okay without any touches. Even on scenario 4, the allied side is close enough to the enemies to recruit units after the first turn.

There is a bug on scenario 4, though.
The sighted [event] for "side=3" triggers its first turn even though there are no side=3 units in the sight. Changing it to "sighted,moveto [event]" fixed it on mine:

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=sighted,moveto
        [filter]
            side=3
            [filter_vision]
                viewing_side=1
            [/filter_vision]
        [/filter]
        [message]
            speaker=Reeve Hoban
            message= _ "I am glad to see you returned."
        [/message]
Another sighted [event] for "Tairach" works fine.

It seems this campaign has not been touched for a long time, though... --> EDIT: ah, not really. There are some new terrains on it, sorry.

best regards
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Thank you for the feedback, SkyOne, the input is much appreciated. I will take care of the changes.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

id=03_Guarded_Castle
Bfw 1.11.7

Here in this event the variable delay_guards is set wrong.

[else]
                [message]
                    speaker=Guard_leader
                    message= _ "Wrong! Die!"
                [/message]
                {VARIABLE delay_guards true}
            [/else]
        [/if]
    [/event]
The [then] tag should should contain delay_guards true
The [else] tag should contain delay_guards false ( not really needed, because the variable is already set in prestart )

Otherwise this makes no sense:

# Trigger 2nd guards at turn3 only if you did not attack the first
    # ones in turn 1, if they are attacked in turn 1, trigger this
    # event in turn 6
EDIT:
To be clearer: Now it is so that the second guards attack appear in any case on turn 3
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Thanks for noting that Adamant14, the fix will be going in tonight. :)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The undead ai in sc2 could be a bit more defensive. As it is now, the Dark Adept rushes at me without his guardians, making him easy to kill.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hi — thanks for pointing this out. Looking into the code, the AI actually does exactly what it is being told to do (treat the side leader as a normal unit), but that is definitely not ideal here.

So I wrote a little custom AI for the dark adept that tries to keep him close to the skeletons/revenants, but as much out of harms way as possible. Since this is only WML and Lua changes, you could replace those two files in your version of Wesnoth and try it out if you want to test this, without having to wait for the next release.

Note that this is only a pull request so far, it has not been committed yet, and it contains some changes to the scenario that disable the elf side and put some player's units so that you can test the AI behavior right at the beginning of the scenario. Those changes will be removed, of course, when this gets committed.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Much thanks for the response.
It's not anymore worst case, but it is still far from good. The guardians attack as soon as am in their movement range and Muff Toras follows his guardians. He seems to basically intend to stand next to at least one of his guardians at all times (keeping close to the revenant). One of them even charges at me, even if I am not in range.

Conclusion: The ai does as he is told.
mattsc wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 11:37 pm Looking into the code, the AI actually does exactly what it is being told to do, but that is definitely not ideal here.
Sticking with his guardians is better than leaving them, but it isn't much better as long as his guardians proactively attack me.
Attachments
AToTB-The Chase-Auto-Save2.gz
I stayed out of their range, but one of them still charged at me.
(30.68 KiB) Downloaded 567 times
AToTB-The Chase replay.gz
(17.53 KiB) Downloaded 646 times
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Well, one thing to remember is that this is supposed to be an introductory campaign, and it is meant to be very easy (while you're not exactly a novice player). We're not trying to make it hard on the player.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Touché.
Looking at it rhat way...
The ai does the job well. And Muff Torlas get's to keep his credibility.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Cool. Thanks for the comments and the feedback! I'll keep the PR open for a couple days in case others want to comment, and then I'll merge it if there are no major objections.