[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mortsubite

Very well done!

Post by Mortsubite »

Just finished "Pursuit"- wow! Love it!

I had to re-start 3 times to get through it, but I did not use what I had learned to "cheat". I still sent troops down dead ends, got munched up by bad critters, and stepped on "hot tiles" that triggered massive attacks.

I finished in exactly 70 turns and ended up with 65,000+ gold (yes, 65,000+!), a special weapon I can't wait to use, a bunch of level 3 Dwarvish Lords, a pack of level 2 Outlaws, a Great Mage, 2 White Mages, a Druid, and some Guardsmen.

I don't want to spoil this for anyone but I strongly suggest you do all your recruiting- and I mean a TON of recruiting- all by Tallin at the bottom right from the start. I suggest recruiting only Thugs. Buy every one you can- spend every gold piece you have. If you win, you get it all back and then some!

Be VERY careful what characters get Holy Water. You can't change your mind later if you find you've made a mistake. You should not engage your Holy Water fighters until after you clear the long main hallway. If you use them too soon, you are screwed. You MUST coordinate your assaults so as to clear the main hall while you are arming with Holy Water; you must clear the Dungeon while clearing the left and right passages; and you must carefully time your attack on Malifor with your looting of the Treasury. Use your troops wisely, use the healers well, and watch your turns- 70 is cutting it right to the bone.

Nasty surprises await- be warned. Even killing a character can be worse that not killing it- if you kill it the "wrong" way!

Your losses will make Gettysburg look like a church ice cream social. Expect to lose 95% of the units you recruit and a couple you came in with.

Very well done indeed. I can't wait for "Old Friend"!
"Imagine waking up in the morning and realizing that's as good as you're going to feel all day" - Dean Martin on sobriety.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

You know, you guyz are right, The Persuit is a bit to hard. Lots of enemies and not enough room to kill them. Anyhow, that is fixed now (hopefully) in verison 0.4.4. It's basically the same, I just gave you a bit more room for all that fancy swordplay (or axeplay, or clubplay, whattever you are using :-P).

And oops, I accidently erased the campaign. There goes all the download count. Ahh well. No big deal. Seccond time I did that.

And thanks for the feedback Mortsubite, glad you liked it! The remember everyone, I would say the same rules still apply for the new version, you just move though it a bit more faster (for the benifit of those playing on medium and hard), so cordination is even more important!
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
tkilian

Post by tkilian »

I killed Malifor, and he re-appeared on a keep down on the left. I killed him again, and he appeard in the wall. Killed him again, and he appeard in the wall again. (each time I did get the messages)

the 4th time i killed him with a dragon stick, he just disappeared. No message, no game over. Don't know what to do now....

Also, I did have many times when the enemy recruited, and they would up being recruited in the walls, or even in adjacent passages.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Uh oh! You let him get away :wink: Well I don't want to spoil it for you, but try killing him with different weapons and/or unit types. If axes and hammers wont' work try clubs, or swords, or arrows, or fire. I don't know why he just dissapeared like that. Could you send me a replay?

Oh, and when they are being "recruted" they are not actuall recruting. They are just appearing. So if one of your units are in the hexes where they are supposed to be then they will cram im wherever they can.

claus

Post by claus »

To your problem with more than one leader:
I believe, if one side has two or more leaders (canrecruit=1), recruit only works, if all leaders of the side are on a keep, and only the leader with the smallest x,y-coordinates can recruit (on the castle hexes connected with his keep, not sure if small x or small y coordinate is more important).
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Geez, that sucks. Well, I delated the "canrecruit=1" from Hamel so that takes care of that for now. Does anybody know if there is a way to have two leaders who can recruit?

But anyhow life goes on. Version 0.5 is on the server and yes, that means a new Scenario. Oh, and watch your step. I am an evil person who likes my supprises.

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Version 0.5.3 is up on the server. All I basically did was tweek “The Persuit� a little bit and added a few things to “Old Friend.�

I am sorry I keep changing the icons, it’s just hard to find the right symbol for your campaign. But I think this one is here to stay. Hey, after all the name of the image IS “dwarven-doors.png) ;-)

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I am currently attempting to upload version 0.5.5 on the server. In this version I have added a new music track to "Infested Caves" and "The Persuit" (same track for both). Check it out and see what you think. I REALLY could use some feedback on that one.

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Ok, I just added 2 more music tracks (for a total of 3 so far). I am really woundering what everyone thinks of them. Like come on, SOMEONE must have checked them out so far. Please let me know.

scott

Post by scott »

Hey man am I going to have to fix all of the {GOLD} and {TURNS} macros every time I update your campaign?

I checked out caves.ogg - it's pretty cool. I suggest that you try to tone down the echo a little if you can. That way it will sound like the other music that comes with the game, if that's a goal for you. If not then leave it. I haven't listened to the new ones.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

{GOLD} and {TURNS} :? Why what is wrong with them? I know that there is a loose end hanging there for the Impossible level, but I haven't gotten around to programing the Marco yet. It works fine for me on the other three levels.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback on the music. About the echo, I kinna wanted to get the closded in, cave feeling to the piece. It doesen't really go with Infested Caves so I took it off that one. It goes best with Persuit.

scott

Post by scott »

It gives me a game-killing error in 0.9.2. Strange that it doesn't for you. Oh well, I can keep doing it.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

scott wrote:It gives me a game-killing error in 0.9.2. Strange that it doesn't for you. Oh well, I can keep doing it.
I haven't download 9.2 yet (no verion out for macs, well last time I checked anyway) but as soon as I can i'll check it out.

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hey guyz,

I am going to be going on holidays for a few weeks so I won't be able to update or support "Northern Rebirth". Anyhow I am uploading the lastest version. Just a few tune ups and bug fixes. If you have any comments, suggestions or criticizms then just let me know and i'll reply as soon as I get back.

Enjoy!

claus

Post by claus »

scott wrote:It gives me a game-killing error in 0.9.2. Strange that it doesn't for you. Oh well, I can keep doing it.
I get the game killing error too. (wesnoth 0.9.2, windows)