The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Grey_Wolf_c

Post by Grey_Wolf_c »

I'm getting the following error when trying to start the campaign: The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Unit cold not be found: 'Noble Lord'

Mac OS X, Wesnoth 1.1.1

Yours,

Grey Wolf
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I see.

If you're using 1.1+, wait for my 1.1 specific version. I hope to release it this weekend.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, I failed at that. ;) But I did it eventually...

Sceptre of Fire 1.0rc1 on 1.1 server.

If there aren't any bugs reported by saturday, I'll release 1.0. ;)

Since I use only 1.1.1+svn, it is too much work for me to make a 1.0 compatible version. Oh well.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
dthurston

Post by dthurston »

I got a message "The file you tried to load is corrupt" on "Searching for the Runecrafter".

I found the first two scenarios harder than comparable "Normal" difficulty scenarios.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Strange. I've never had that kind of error message except when trying to load a savefile...
The World of Orbivm
dthurston

Post by dthurston »

Would you like a save file?

I think it may be related to trying to bring back the rider, Alannin or however you spell it. There was a message on the console about a checksum mismatch. This was with the SVN version, and I had to reload a couple times to make it through Closing the Gates. Perhaps its actually a bug in the engine?

Update: Save file attached.
Attachments
Searching_for_the_Runecrafter.gz
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Last edited by dthurston on March 4th, 2006, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

A savegame would be nice. This is a really wierd bug. I won't be able to look at it this weekend, but perhaps on Monday...
The World of Orbivm
Ewan

Fire Dragon missing?

Post by Ewan »

Two things. First, if someone has a walkthrough, or replay, or even guidance as to how to complete Outriding the Outriders, I'd appreciate it. Spearmen - even on mountains - are knocked over by two outriders, but even if they took 3 or 4 my dragoon would still die. [It *might* be more doable if the path from the visit just-west of start was within 9 hexes of the one due-south of start, to allow for 4 rapid spearmen and hope for some luck. But right now - not a chance. Am I missing something?]

Second - OK, so I hacked around that, but then there is apparently a missing Fire dragon unit for the next scenario. Is this from some other campaign that I need to load, perhaps?

Thanks - Ewan
scott

Re: Fire Dragon missing?

Post by scott »

Ewan wrote:Two things. First, if someone has a walkthrough, or replay, or even guidance as to how to complete Outriding the Outriders, I'd appreciate it. Spearmen - even on mountains - are knocked over by two outriders, but even if they took 3 or 4 my dragoon would still die. [It *might* be more doable if the path from the visit just-west of start was within 9 hexes of the one due-south of start, to allow for 4 rapid spearmen and hope for some luck. But right now - not a chance. Am I missing something?]

Second - OK, so I hacked around that, but then there is apparently a missing Fire dragon unit for the next scenario. Is this from some other campaign that I need to load, perhaps?

Thanks - Ewan
The fire dragon used to be an official unit and now it's not. You can find a copy in the "The Rise of Wesnoth" units and images directories. Copy them to the Sceptre of Fire units and images directories.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

Thanks, Scott. Taking a year off from Wesnoth clearly deleted too many memories :)
Mustelid

Re: Fire Dragon missing?

Post by Mustelid »

Ewan wrote:Two things. First, if someone has a walkthrough, or replay, or even guidance as to how to complete Outriding the Outriders, I'd appreciate it. Spearmen - even on mountains - are knocked over by two outriders, but even if they took 3 or 4 my dragoon would still die. [It *might* be more doable if the path from the visit just-west of start was within 9 hexes of the one due-south of start, to allow for 4 rapid spearmen and hope for some luck. But right now - not a chance. Am I missing something?
One word: luck. You have to be lucky to pull this one off. I've managed it a couple of times. You shouldn't try and take every village if it'll slow you down - if you still have a Spearman alive and holding up the Outriders, get more space on them rather than spawning another unit.

Be aggressive with your Spearmen, but keep them in safe terrain - preferably villages. Pierce destroys cavalry. It's possible to kill Outriders, if you're lucky - I've levelled a spearman to Halbardier in this scenario, although he died before I got to safety. Looking at the stats, on average it'll take three Outriders to dispatch a Spearman in 60% terrain, although it leaves him with only 4hp; on a town that'll heal to 12, good enough to get in two or three spear-hits on an Outrider on your turn.

What you're really relying on is one of those Spearmen getting extra lucky and holding out for a couple of turns, killing a couple of already-wounded Outriders and levelling, while you establish a nice safe gap and a few more defenders. The trouble is that in the early game, not getting lucky means you die. It's all luck, really. Lots of replays. Or you could save-load feverishly - in the early stages of this level the distinction between save-loads and replays often starts feeling academic.

It helps a bit to have levelled him up to Cavalier already - more hp to play with - but to do that you really have to make that a Serious Campaign Goal. He's pitifully useless in caves, so there's a small handful of scenarios where you really have to milk the xp. I don't think it's essential.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Eh?

It's not that hard a scenario, in my experience. Just move your free spearmen as for north as possible each turn, so that the enemy has to slow down to kill them. I can consistently win it with Alanin being a dragoon.
The World of Orbivm
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

turin wrote: It's not that hard a scenario, in my experience. Just move your free spearmen as for north as possible each turn, so that the enemy has to slow down to kill them. I can consistently win it with Alanin being a dragoon.
Hmm.

This seemed to both make sense, and be pretty similar to what I remember starting out with (and getting slaughtered). Went back and did a few more runs. Maybe I was just making inexperience errors, and then forgetting them.

Definite improvement - up to about 50% wins, with about half the victories being comfortable. The crucial element seems to be how quickly the first couple of spearmen are dispatched; if Alanin takes a few wounds early on, the Outriders just ignore the spearmen and target the wounded leader.
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

Targetting Alanin was one of my problems - the outriders consistently killed off only those spearmen needed to allow them to get to Alanin.

Ah well. The most similar scenario I can think of - Dwarvern Doors - I could never see the difficulty with, but this one I've died in twenty-two times now... it's pretty much the only scenario I've ever had serious trouble with :). No big deal.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:? It's possible that something has changed since I last tested it making it harder. I'll check.
The World of Orbivm