The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:I just had a pile of rocks. I'll take a look at the WML.

Ok I looked. signpost.png isn't in the images directory, it's in a subdirectory. You need image=misc/signpost.png or wherever it is.
Ayg.

OK, I've fixed and uploaded a new version (with some plot changes in scenario 1).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

The map name for scenario 3t is misspelled
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:The map name for scenario 3t is misspelled
Fixed.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

You're too fast. I was going to add some more.

In the Council Regathers, Thursagen isn't recalled, so his dialogue is skipped. Then, in Gathering Materials, things get weird. Rugner is reverted to level 1 and he can't recall. When he dies, the scenario doesn't end. I thought Searching for the Stone was really hard at first, but those dwarves really soak up a lot of damage. I'm enjoying things so far.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:You're too fast. I was going to add some more.

In the Council Regathers, Thursagen isn't recalled, so his dialogue is skipped.
fixed.
scott wrote:Then, in Gathering Materials, things get weird. Rugner is reverted to level 1 and he can't recall. When he dies, the scenario doesn't end.
Um... very, very odd. I don't know why this would happen.
scott wrote: I thought Searching for the Stone was really hard at first, but those dwarves really soak up a lot of damage. I'm enjoying things so far.
Good.

-------------

Now, I want to keep the gameplay for Searching for the Stone similar to what it is now, but I have a small problem - in the new version, Haldric gives you the ruby, and you don't have to go looking for it. Any ideas for what you could be looking for instead?
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

There are some directions you could go with it. Here are some ideas.

1. Jessica, instead of hiding the ruby, actually gave it to someone who now lives up north. You are then searching for the entrance to this person's residence, whether it is a house (like a hermit), a lair (like a semisentient troll leader), or a fortress (like someone else). The only reason for doing this is because it is hinted at in trow and it would be a shame for it to not go anywhere.

2. You are searching for some kind of super-pure gold or the entrance to the mine. It could even be a guarded outpost of the dwarvish kingdom with those helpers being stationed there.

3. Thursagen lives there and you are trying to go get him and bring him back. You don't get his help then to fight in the scenario, but maybe you could get some other type of helper unit.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:There are some directions you could go with it. Here are some ideas.

1. Jessica, instead of hiding the ruby, actually gave it to someone who now lives up north. You are then searching for the entrance to this person's residence, whether it is a house (like a hermit), a lair (like a semisentient troll leader), or a fortress (like someone else). The only reason for doing this is because it is hinted at in trow and it would be a shame for it to not go anywhere.
Well, the reason I have to have the ruby already in your possession is for consistency with LoW. So I don't have a lot of freedom in that regard. Haldric has to already have the ruby.
scott wrote:2. You are searching for some kind of super-pure gold or the entrance to the mine. It could even be a guarded outpost of the dwarvish kingdom with those helpers being stationed there.
The entrance to the mine sounds good.
scott wrote:3. Thursagen lives there and you are trying to go get him and bring him back. You don't get his help then to fight in the scenario, but maybe you could get some other type of helper unit.
This would also be interesting... so you would be looking for his house, which was somewhere in the wilderness?
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

(sorry for double post)

I went with solution #3, and now you go north to search for Thursagan. Scenarios 1, 2, 2t*, 3, and 3t are all playable, if not balanced.

The new version is 0.1.3.
The World of Orbivm
js138

buglets

Post by js138 »

First playthrough - concept looks good.

However bugs or misfeatures:

Closing the Gates. Works for me (though holding the main gate on easy is completely trivial by retreating to the second rank (and avoids losing my front line when the gate does close). Removing the castles from the narrowing might mitigate this.
When I closed one of the side entrances when there was an elf on the spot which changes, it didn't.
I could more dialog to repeat than I expected by moving off and back onto the glyph. It's also not clear whether you need to get to or get to and remain on top of the glyph.

Searching for the Runecrafter - i was able to recruit smiths where the dialog in the next scenario
suggests I shouldn't be able to till I get to Gathering Materials. No bonus, but enough time and villages to make it worthwhile waiting to the end for the extra cash.

Gathering Materials - Rugnar had revert to level 1 0 xp and could neither recruit nor recall - and when he inevitably snuffed it the scenario kept going (as someone else mentioned).

Hope the storyline can be squared with the rest of Wesnothian history too. Would be irksome to have alternate realities kicking about no matter how naff the original might be considered to be by some :-)

Keep up the good work.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: buglets

Post by turin »

Thanks for the feedback. :]
js138 wrote:Closing the Gates. Works for me (though holding the main gate on easy is completely trivial by retreating to the second rank (and avoids losing my front line when the gate does close). Removing the castles from the narrowing might mitigate this.
Good idea. I did notice when playtesting that this level was rather easy.
js138 wrote:When I closed one of the side entrances when there was an elf on the spot which changes, it didn't.
I don't know why this would be... what should happen, is the hex becomes cave wall, but the elf is still on it.
js138 wrote:I could more dialog to repeat than I expected by moving off and back onto the glyph. It's also not clear whether you need to get to or get to and remain on top of the glyph.
I'm still working on this. I have an idea for how to do it, though.
js138 wrote:Searching for the Runecrafter - i was able to recruit smiths where the dialog in the next scenario
OK. This will be very easy to fix.
js138 wrote:No bonus, but enough time and villages to make it worthwhile waiting to the end for the extra cash.
Perhaps more enemies are warranted.
js138 wrote:Gathering Materials - Rugnar had revert to level 1 0 xp and could neither recruit nor recall - and when he inevitably snuffed it the scenario kept going (as someone else mentioned).
I don't know whats up with this. I'll try to get to this scenario in my playtesting and find out.
js138 wrote:Hope the storyline can be squared with the rest of Wesnothian history too. Would be irksome to have alternate realities kicking about no matter how naff the original might be considered to be by some :-)
So do I - but not at the cost of having to use a boring storyline. :)
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I know it may have appeared that I temporarily ceased working on this campaign... but I didn't. I just didn't publish a new version. But, here one is! (0.2.0)

the changes: revised dialogue in all scenarios, scenarios 2 and 3 should no longer be extremely easy, and scenario 4 should work. (The problem was description=Rugnar, not Rugnur).
The World of Orbivm
claus

Post by claus »

turin wrote:
js138 wrote:Gathering Materials - Rugnar had revert to level 1 0 xp and could neither recruit nor recall - and when he inevitably snuffed it the scenario kept going (as someone else mentioned).
I don't know whats up with this. I'll try to get to this scenario in my playtesting and find out.
Typo in his name. The first hero is rugnur, the hero in gathering materials is rugnar (no recruit list no recall list).
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

claus wrote:
turin wrote: I don't know whats up with this. I'll try to get to this scenario in my playtesting and find out.
Typo in his name. The first hero is rugnur, the hero in gathering materials is rugnar (no recruit list no recall list).
Indeed. I've fixed it in the newest version. :) Thanks.
The World of Orbivm
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

turin wrote: ...the changes: revised dialogue in all scenarios, scenarios 2 and 3 should no longer be extremely easy, and scenario 4 should work. (The problem was description=Rugnar, not Rugnur).
Well, thanks for the nice campaign, but after your last update I've got a problem with scenario 3, "Searching for the Runecrafter". As soon as any unit get's in range to sight the village of Thursagen the whole game quits. Tried different units, tried different turns, nothing helps. Seems it fires an event, which takes the whole game down without further notice.

Version 0.2.0, BfW 0.8.11, MacOS 10.3.7
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

l'ultimo cruco wrote:
turin wrote: ...the changes: revised dialogue in all scenarios, scenarios 2 and 3 should no longer be extremely easy, and scenario 4 should work. (The problem was description=Rugnar, not Rugnur).
Well, thanks for the nice campaign, but after your last update I've got a problem with scenario 3, "Searching for the Runecrafter". As soon as any unit get's in range to sight the village of Thursagen the whole game quits. Tried different units, tried different turns, nothing helps. Seems it fires an event, which takes the whole game down without further notice.

Version 0.2.0, BfW 0.8.11, MacOS 10.3.7
I will attempt to fix this. Thanks for the bug report... (maybe it doesn't work with 0.8.11? I tested it with CVS).
The World of Orbivm