The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Development Team
Battle for Wesnoth

The Sceptre of Fire

Post by Development Team »

This is the main development thread for the mainline campaign The Sceptre of Fire. The original first post for this thread follows.
turin wrote:Following the philosophy of "release early, release often", and my auxilliary to that, "don't give a **** about playtesting" ( :D ), I have released version 0.0.1 of my dwarvish campaign "the Sceptre of Fire" on the campaign server. There are four three scenarios and one fake scenario so far.

It is rather dialogue intensive (there are 256 lines of WML in the talking scenario), and it may be a bit too much. If you think so, I can cut it down.

Comments?
Disto

Post by Disto »

As i am working on my own Campaign i haven't played it but it looks cool so far.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
theCAS

Post by theCAS »

I played first scenario so far.

There is a bug with the caravans, only the first get loaded and when you return it to the castle you win.

Also the loaded caravan and empty ones remain in the recall list, I think it would be better to remove them since they are useless.

Wesnoth: 0.8.10
Difficulty: easy
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

theCAS wrote:I played first scenario so far.

There is a bug with the caravans, only the first get loaded and when you return it to the castle you win.
This is odd... I'll look at it.
theCAS wrote:Also the loaded caravan and empty ones remain in the recall list, I think it would be better to remove them since they are useless.
Good idea.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

I would give the dwarves all the starting villages in the north half of the map, including the northwest part, which is right now wasted space. Jury is still out on balancing and turns.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:I would give the dwarves all the starting villages in the north half of the map, including the northwest part, which is right now wasted space. Jury is still out on balancing and turns.
You'll have a hard time balancing until I upload new version. ;D

Which I will soon.

I agree with giving dwarves those villages, but i forgot how. Next update (probably tonight) will have it done...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

I saw the single-caravan bug and I was just wondering how I would be able to shell out 80 gold for caravi and still have enough gold for any kind of fighting force. I did ok with my stagger strategy but I don't think I could have sustained it. I'm not down with no recruiting in scenario 2(3). You really can't fight with an army of thunderers (if you knew to recruit a lot in scenario 1) but fighters don't last long against ogres and trolls.

The dwarvish council map is nicely done, by the way.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

This seems like a fun campaign with a great concept.

So, a couple of things

1. I don't there is too much talking yet, but as in other campaigns, the dialogue might wear thin after playing for the 10th time.

2. I won the first scenario, but not the way it stated it would be won. I only got the first caravan of gold to my keep, and I won. Which is just as well, because
a) it took me until turn 23 to return
and
b) It only let me fill up my first caravan with gold. The others reached Haldric II's keep and nothing happened.

3. The AI ally acted a bit funny on the first scenario. Is it programmed to retreat at night?

4. In the third scenario (second playable), I couldn't recruit, only recall. Was that the intention?

5. I love the caravan graphic! I like the caravan idea. There could be a lot of scenarios based around this unit.

6. The portrait of Konrad being used for the Haldric portrait: does that fit?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Glowing Fish wrote:This seems like a fun campaign with a great concept.

So, a couple of things

1. I don't there is too much talking yet, but as in other campaigns, the dialogue might wear thin after playing for the 10th time.
Hitting "Esc" bypasses dialogue.
Glowing Fish wrote:2. I won the first scenario, but not the way it stated it would be won. I only got the first caravan of gold to my keep, and I won. Which is just as well, because
a) it took me until turn 23 to return
and
b) It only let me fill up my first caravan with gold. The others reached Haldric II's keep and nothing happened.
a) the turn limit will be increased
b) has been fixed
Glowing Fish wrote:3. The AI ally acted a bit funny on the first scenario. Is it programmed to retreat at night?
No, but since its lawful it would normally.
Glowing Fish wrote:4. In the third scenario (second playable), I couldn't recruit, only recall. Was that the intention?
No.
Glowing Fish wrote:5. I love the caravan graphic! I like the caravan idea. There could be a lot of scenarios based around this unit.
Graphic was taken from Flight to Freedom with minor modifications. Glad you liked the concept, though.
Glowing Fish wrote:6. The portrait of Konrad being used for the Haldric portrait: does that fit?
No. The thing is I can't think of a unit that would work for him other than Lord or Noble Lord... both of which have portraits.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Why isn't template.cfg commented out?

Where is the Dwarvish Smith?

Searching for a Stone:
crying out for help
Yes. How else would it possess such powers?
Why do use a map in Gathering Materials, which is supposed to use a random generator?

But, I do like the premise of this campaign.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

MadMax wrote:Why isn't template.cfg commented out?
I thought I deleted it.
MadMax wrote:Where is the Dwarvish Smith?
It doesn't exist yet. I still need graphics.
MadMax wrote:Searching for a Stone:
crying out for help
Yes. How else would it possess such powers?
Will be fixed.
MadMax wrote:Why do use a map in Gathering Materials, which is supposed to use a random generator?
Because I based it on the Sceptre of Fire map, which does the same thing.

If it's not necessary, I'll remove it.
MadMax wrote:But, I do like the premise of this campaign.
Good. :)
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

turin wrote:If it's not necessary, I'll remove it.
It is :oops: . It guarantees that player 1 comes from the southwest.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Another thing: in the first scenario, why does the AI ally only recruit Longbowman and Dragoons?

Swordsman would get chewed to pieces by the archers, but may Duelists would make sense?
Deathtenks

Post by Deathtenks »

In the first Scenario When I recruit Caravans they can't move I am using
Easy
Victory to those who do not fear death!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Glowing Fish wrote:Another thing: in the first scenario, why does the AI ally only recruit Longbowman and Dragoons?

Swordsman would get chewed to pieces by the archers, but may Duelists would make sense?
Because Duelist is not on the recruit list.

Haldric is supposed to be being sort of... stupid.

Oh, and if the caravans aren't moving, it means you have Flight to Freedom installed. F2F does not use "#ifdef"s when including the units, which means everyone gets them, and my caravan uses the same ID as his. :roll:

The easiest way to fix it is to move the #ifdef if the Flight_Freedom.cfg file up about ten lines.
The World of Orbivm