[Historical] Orcish campaign

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How is this campaign ?

Too hard, I'm stuck!
No votes
Hard, but challenging
75%
Just as it ought
25%
Too easy, I already have 20 lvl3 trolls !
No votes

Total votes: 4

blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Benj,

The map for "Clash of Armies" was missing in 0.8. I suspect that it is essentially the same map as for "Saving Inarix", except that the bridge is destroyed, and that there is an additional castle for Lanbech?

(Had posted this under Technical Support earlier.)

Some comments on the campaign overall -

Very very difficult campaign. I play on medium, and it's as tough as playing on hard in HttT.

Specifically:

To the Harbour of Tirigaz - too few turns. Maybe 2 more turns would help a lot. A few bad rolls can hold you back. But still manageable, if you do not over-recruit during Barag Gor.

Black Flag - again, too few turns. Maybe 2 more turns as well. I often run out of time before I get the chance to attack the human leader.

Silent Forest - objectives are unclear. But it's very tough, especially since you probably don't have much gold and it is full of forest, favouring elves.
Perhaps the elves can be given less gold to start, and more villages instead.

Saving Inarix - again, very difficult. Don't know how to make it easier without making it too easy. Right now, I use the swamp misdirection trick but the time limit is very tight - there is no margin for error.

Other than those scenarios, it is a great campaign, and very enjoyable. Tactically very stimulating, as misdirection is a viable way to complete several scenarios (Desert, Silent Forest a bit, Saving Inarix). Great job.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Ewan

Final scenario

Post by Ewan »

Posted previously as new thread - but really belongs here.

Balance in general seems OK, *but* final scenario is - to me - way too easy, with an easy victory simply by sticking a couple of troll warriors at the end of the bridge and rotating them. Griffons lured off to far top left by presence of sovereign, shot down there, and nothing else is threatening - the mermen do not hit hard enough to be a threat, and can be lured onto the beach, and after that there's only the frontal assault available to the allied forces.

Anyway, $ .02.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Guess I should post any feedback of Son of the Black Eye here.. (I'm using wesnoth 0.8.5 for mac.

I noticed several things:

--A few times I could recall the shaman and towers as well. Just dismissed them, but anyhow.

--A few spelling errors remain (I may get back to you on that if you wish)

--Kapou'e doesn't seem to have a 'leadership' animation.. and that made me doubt whether the trait really works for him (and thus the surrounding units of lower level).

--In the desert of death the rogues didn't actually attack me.. only the units I attacked did attack.

Overall.. I think this is a great campaign and I really enjoy playing it.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

The scenario after silent forest was the toughest for me, I guess the gold situation after silent forest was the main reason, since I finished SF
on the very last turn. But in SF it is hard to get a quick win
Eol

Post by Eol »

Saving Inarix victory condition isn't firing for me. Have Inarix + 4 saurins in the fortress and not getting victory condition. This bugged or am I placing them somewhere wrong?

(Yes I spent all day posting errors I have got with multiple campaigns over the last month :)
Attachments
Saving_Inarix_Turn_13_error.tar.gz
(29.84 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
De Opresso Liber
benj

Post by benj »

Eol wrote:Saving Inarix victory condition isn't firing for me. Have Inarix + 4 saurins in the fortress and not getting victory condition. This bugged or am I placing them somewhere wrong?

(Yes I spent all day posting errors I have got with multiple campaigns over the last month :)
I'm sorry, there was a bug that will be fixed in next version of Wesnoth.
If you want to win the scenario, you have to go to the game.cfg file and add the following lines near the other [race] tags :

Code: Select all

[race]
	name=lizard
	num_traits=2
	[/race]
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Na'enthos wrote:-Kapou'e doesn't seem to have a 'leadership' animation.. and that made me doubt whether the trait really works for him (and thus the surrounding units of lower level).
It works.

But you should get 0.8.7.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Fortify

Finished the campaign - Contains Spoiler

Post by Fortify »

I just finished SoBE on Medium. :D Great campaign! I like the flow of levels and a chance to use Orcs, Trolls, and a few Saurians!

A few things to note:

The only level that is very hard is the first one! :shock: It took a few restarts, an empahasis on Wolf Riders and luck to win. After that the challange seemed progressive with your recalls and your $$$.

Last Level - Defend Prestim
****Contains Spoiler*****

I entered the last level with ~$150 gold and a decent recall list. Turns 6-12 or so were hard because swarms 3 or 4 of Griffins could hit you anywhere. I had a few restarts because I thought I left everyone on safe spots like full health Inarix on the sand where only 3 griffins(wounded) could reach. 60% defence and he could survive 4 hits. The odds were that he would be hit only 2 or 3 times but yet 5 hits ended the campaign. :cry:

Once the groups of Griffins are dealt with the level is very easy. It might even be some poor decisions by the AI. Units from the 3 enemies all bottleneck at the Ford. The elves go first and they leap ahead of some of the slower units (dwarves/mages whatever). When it is the Dwarves or Loyalists turn they cant pass the elves and now no one advances. :?

So every turn you face one elf and maybe a merman and one or 2 griffins. I lined trolls up behind the beach and I never was close to losing. There were no hordes attacking the city they never got off the beach! While playing I thought this was an AI problem but after further consideration I think it is simply the bottleneck working. The level would be a truly exciting siege if the order of the 3 opponants was reversed.

Dwarves should go first and they can raid with Griffins and get across with Fighters. Next loyalists then elves who should be held up more by the other 2 races trying to cross the Ford.

Would this help or will the Ford still slow the enemies to a trickle? Maybe there needs to be one more hex of shallows to allow more enemies to cross?

I will attach a save near the end of the scenario so you can see how they were bottled up.
Cheers,
Fortify.
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Wow last post 2004... why do I get the feeling this problem is going to go unanswered? Heh.
Well anyways it seems that with version 1.1.1, the troll hero is 'missing'.
The unit doesn't exist. For example, in the siege mission where you have to save the shamans, you're supposed to get him for the first time, as one of the objectives is to make sure he doesn't die... but he never spawns with your orcish hero.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

This is a general issue with old campaigns and 1.1.1 - recall-list tampering seems to work very erratically. Kapou'e in SotBE, Owaec in EI, Black the Red and his outlaws in Saving Elensefar... I think the thing to do is assume that a campaign won't be reliable in 1.1.1 unless it's explicitly been upgraded.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Good to know, thanks for the info.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Grey_Wolf_c

Bug in 1.1.1

Post by Grey_Wolf_c »

The siege of Barag Gór is quite buggy - there are no shamans to protect. Took me a while (and a visit to the forums) to discover - I rescued the assasin from the cage thinking that was them, and proceded to destroy the elves, before running out of turns.

I have the feeling that the shamans weren't loaded - but then, I saw no siege either (only a lonely assassin that immediately shot south east towards the elven fortress and was brought down fairly quickly).

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf
JimBass

Post by JimBass »

With SVN checkout giving me 1.18 svn, I still get a crash when I finish home again. It says " unknown scenario 'civil_war' ". This was mentioned in this post: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... t=civilwar but hasn't been corrected yet. I am grepping the direcrory to see if I can find the reference, and maybe move it to civil war without the underscore?

[later]Ok, the underscore seems to be common in scenarios with spaces in the name. Seems the problem is that although there is a civil_war map, there isn't a civil_war.cfg file, so the game crashes as it has no idea what to do next. Any plans on this? Seems it should be the big final fight against shaun tug the smug (again).[/later]

Peace,
JimBass
jakubt

The siege of Barag Gór

Post by jakubt »

I have another problem - the second objective never really appears. I have killed loads of elves and the objective: Break the Siege is not completed. What is the definition of this objective anyway?

Jakub
Omid

wesnoth 1.2.x

Post by Omid »

in wesnoth 1.2.x i can not save game in siege of barag gor.