Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Insanity Boy

Post by Insanity Boy »

I'd have to argee Subterranean Struggle is a lot easier, at least on easy, when you aid the trolls. I'm starting to hate lava. Now my question was why the Zombie Trolls have 200% res to holy, I can understand -200%, but I can't figure out why undead would be so resistant.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Mustelid wrote: Subterranean Struggle seems far, far too long to me....

I've been shunting my huge, slow-as-death army through tiny bottlenecks for over fifty turns. Every turn I have to move every frickin' unit two or three hexes down a width-one tunnel. I've lost some units I was sort of fond of. If I never see a Thunderguard again it will be too soon. The last thing I want to deal with in this situation is another level 3-killing chokepoint.
I've played through again (last time I played through SS was the last level), and, as before, I have to agree with the above. I can't help thinking that this should be split into a troll/dwarf scenario, followed by the second troll or dwarf scenario. It would save much shuttling about by the player. It's 10 or 12 turns, a dozen or more units of just plain busy work, with little tactical importance as far as I can tell. It's the only really boring part of the campaign and it would be easy to clip out, in my opinion.

Also, bring back the walking undead in the second scenario! Especially now that the undead are stronger in 1.1. They may not do much, but they add a lot of atmosphere.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

cave crawls with elves are always brutal.
I've only played it allied with the Trolls, but i found it one of the more enjoyable cave crawls. It almost has an epic quality.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

I've gone both ways with SS now. I think allying with the trolls is marginally harder, but that crossing the lava pit takes longer. A couple desert stars makes the lava fairly easy. The bridge scenario on the dwarf side is though and can suck up a lot of units, ditto the choke point entering the last cave. On the other hand the final battle against the trolls is very challenging. Both are a lot of fun.

The secret on the lava pit is, IMO, a slightly better upgrade than the one on the lake too. Both are nice side quests.

Most importantly, SS taught me that the dwarves are manipulative little fascists and that trolls are just big ol' softies who are just misunderstood. It makes the Knalgan alliance all that more believable, the regimented, chauvinistic dwarves running the underground, allying themselves with the thuggish human "underground" who sell themselves to the highest bidder. I'll bet all dwarf trains run on time too. Makes one long for a good game of trollball...
Beamer

Post by Beamer »

Sorry if this has been answered but I got up to The Battle For Nemsoth Isle (10th scenario in the campaign) and when I get near the castle with the Saurians on it that the game tells you to go to I have to restart the computer because there is a piece of dialogue between the Shyde (I've forgotten her name now) and Boiycht that continually repeats and each time it repeats another Saurian appears on the map.
Is this a glitch in the campaign or do I need a new version of Wesnoth?
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Beamer wrote:Sorry if this has been answered but I got up to The Battle For Nemsoth Isle (10th scenario in the campaign) and when I get near the castle with the Saurians on it that the game tells you to go to I have to restart the computer because there is a piece of dialogue between the Shyde (I've forgotten her name now) and Boiycht that continually repeats and each time it repeats another Saurian appears on the map.
Try updating to the most recent version of Wesnoth. The conversation between Nym and Boyicht should only happen when you first see Boyicht, not when you encounter any saurian. I don't know why it is looping.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I apoligize for not maintaining this campaign as much as I should have. I'm really happy that it still runs with Wesnoth 1.1, and people are still playing it. I'm still working on it, and hope to release a new update sometime. The holy resistance on the troll zombie is incorrect. You can open up the troll zombie data file (Troll_Zombie.cfg) and change:
[resistance]
holy=-100
[/resistance]
to
[resistance]
holy=200
[/resistance]

I meant for them to have 200% vulnerability to holy attacks, not a 100% immunity. Anyway, I'm well aware that parts of the campaign aren't perfect, but I'm really glad that people are still enjoying it. Thanks!
Beamer

Post by Beamer »

quartex wrote:
Beamer wrote:Sorry if this has been answered but I got up to The Battle For Nemsoth Isle (10th scenario in the campaign) and when I get near the castle with the Saurians on it that the game tells you to go to I have to restart the computer because there is a piece of dialogue between the Shyde (I've forgotten her name now) and Boiycht that continually repeats and each time it repeats another Saurian appears on the map.
Try updating to the most recent version of Wesnoth. The conversation between Nym and Boyicht should only happen when you first see Boyicht, not when you encounter any saurian. I don't know why it is looping.
It is when I first see Boyicht but it keeps looping. I'll have the most recent version in a couple of days.
luciano

If Zhul dies, scenario does not end

Post by luciano »

Hi, I'm playing Under the Burning Suns, and I happened to let the dwarves kill Zhul in the underground scenario. However, the game
continues, even if the death of Zhul is listed as a losing condition in the scenario objectives.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying the campaign, thanks a lot.

The only minor gripe is that I think that some of the dialogues/description sequences are a bit too verbose, but this may be due to me trying to translate the campaign to Italian :-)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Re: If Zhul dies, scenario does not end

Post by quartex »

luciano wrote:Hi, I'm playing Under the Burning Suns, and I happened to let the dwarves kill Zhul in the underground scenario. However, the game
continues, even if the death of Zhul is listed as a losing condition in the scenario objectives.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying the campaign, thanks a lot.

The only minor gripe is that I think that some of the dialogues/description sequences are a bit too verbose, but this may be due to me trying to translate the campaign to Italian :-)
Don't let any of the main heroes die. It mucks up the dialogue and the plot, and you'll kick yourself for it in the end. Why these death events don't work properly is one of those long standing bugs I haven't been able to figure out.

Sorry about the long dialogue/description. I like to write and wanted to write a verbose campaign where I could really flesh out the characters and the plot.

P.S. I have a feeling this death bug occurs most often in "A Subterranean Struggle" becuase of all the complicated code I have in that scenario. "A Subterranean Struggle" is the most troublesome by far of all the scenarios in UTBS.
luciano

Post by luciano »

quartex wrote:
Don't let any of the main heroes die. It mucks up the dialogue and the plot, and you'll kick yourself for it in the end. Why these death events don't work properly is one of those long standing bugs I haven't been able to figure out.
Oh, sure, I did actually reload a previous save file when that happened. I was unsure it was a known problem and I imagined reporting it could be useful.
Sorry about the long dialogue/description. I like to write and wanted to write a verbose campaign where I could really flesh out the characters and the plot.
I understood that much :)

Actually, while translating all that is going to be much work, my main problem with that is that I think that Wesnoth is not (at the moment, I hope) too good at showing all that text (I don't think the teletype effect matches too well with the game settings for example), plus, with my largish display, lines tend to be too long to be read comfortably. In some dialogues, I'd like a paragraph break, for example, and I think some words would be more effective if emphasized with an italics effect, for example. But I don't know if that is possible with the current engine.

Please keep in mind that I'm enjoying the campaign, and I'm only commenting on the few things that I think could be improved.
P.S. I have a feeling this death bug occurs most often in "A Subterranean Struggle" becuase of all the complicated code I have in that scenario. "A Subterranean Struggle" is the most troublesome by far of all the scenarios in UTBS.
I think that's it, yes.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

quartex wrote:Sorry about the long dialogue/description. I like to write and wanted to write a verbose campaign where I could really flesh out the characters and the plot.
I think that along with your changing objectives this is one of the major reasons why your campaign is considered very good by so many. Even though you've got a lot of text, your campaign seems to be well accepted by translators (along with A New Order which has even more strings). I'd take this as a good sign.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

torangan wrote:
quartex wrote:Sorry about the long dialogue/description. I like to write and wanted to write a verbose campaign where I could really flesh out the characters and the plot.
I think that along with your changing objectives this is one of the major reasons why your campaign is considered very good by so many. Even though you've got a lot of text, your campaign seems to be well accepted by translators (along with A New Order which has even more strings). I'd take this as a good sign.
The translators have been very good to me. Having spent hours writing all the text, I can only imagine how much time they spend translating all of it. Actions speak louder than words and I am very greatful for their dedication and hard work.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

1.1 has been released!

I have just uploaded UTBS v1.1 to both the 1.0 campaign server and the 1.1+ campaign server. This update contains a bunch of small bug fixes and improvements. The biggest change is Jetryl's new "dark tiled floor" artwork, which I use underground in several scenarios. I've also added a bunch of new dialog explaining who "Yanqui" really is, to answer one of the more common questions I'm asked. I know there are still plenty of bugs out there, but this is a step in the right direction.

1.1 changelog

scenario 5:
-fixed bug with giant tentacles appeared in cave walls and cave floors
-troll zombies are now vulnerable to holy attacks, like they were supposed to be

scenario 7:
-when caverns are flooding, water serpents and undead don't drown in deep water
-added Jetryl's dark tiled floor around the dark altar
-fixed dialog bug, so that troll/dwarf guide does not talk to himself

scenario 9:
-added further explanation of Yanqui's identity

scenario 11:
-changed map slightly
-changed AI so that enemies target allies more often than Kaleh
-changed cobbled road to Jetryl's dark tiled floor

epilogue:
-edited and slightly shortened text
scott

Post by scott »

quartex wrote:explaining who "Yanqui" really is
We all know who the evil "Yanqui" is. I'm just surprised the hero wasn't named "Redsox."

:D

Edit: Here's a tip: if you get ahold of a program called BBEdit Lite or TextWrangler (both free), you'll be able to convert your line feeds to unix line endings. The line feeds will show up as rectangular boxes. Copy one of the boxes onto the clipboard. Go to the find/replace dialog, paste the rectangular box in the first window, then type \r in the second window (\r = the unix line ending). Then select replace all. You can open all the config files at once, select the "multi-file" box in the find/replace dialog, and take care of everything at once. Then, go to the "preferences" > "text" > "saves" and select unix text format. Quit the program to save everything.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.