Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taemyr

Re: Campaign: Under the Burning Suns

Post by taemyr »

LightFighter wrote: If Kaleh Gets an AMLA, only the first time you choose a thing, it actually does something special.
I get this bug as well. The second AMLA does nothing, not even healing. Attaching a save game.

I am on Windows XP, if OS matters.
Attachments
UtBS-Across_the_Harsh_Sands-Auto-Save7.gz
Savegame
(61.45 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
Jozrael

Bug with Kaleh levelup in UtBS - 1.5.9

Post by Jozrael »

Since the UtBS topic itself is locked, and this doesn't fit into a specific scenario, I'm unsure where to put this. Hopefully it'll get moved to where it belongs.

Not sure what topic you are referring to, but this thread was visible on the front page of the Scenario & Campaign Development forum... so it was moved here.

Basically, I levelled up Kaleh twice in the first level just fine.

First levelup was given the option of swordsman, archer, or bolas. I chose swordsman.
Second levelup was given the option of leadership, archer, or bolas. I chose archer.
Third levelup I was given the option of leadership, swordsman, archer, bolas, or stunning ZoC. I noticed in the preview screen on the left that regardless of my choice, none of them affected Kaleh's stats (swordsman didnt raise melee dmg, leadership didnt appear, etc). Only difference was that one or 2 of them turned him from a hero into a captain, with a corresponding decrease in hp of 2.

I chose stunning attack just to check. Sure enough, it did not remove any enemies ZoC.

:\
WindEnchanter

Post by WindEnchanter »

I just played, same thing happens. First level up I choose bolas, gives 2 bolas attack, that could be a bug, then second time I choose swordsman, it works well. The third time if I choose swordsman or archer.. they won't affect anything except the max hp.
Max

Post by Max »

here's a thread with a workaround for Kaleh's advancements:
http://wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24028
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

Despite the last fixes in version 1.5.10, the upgrade allowing to get +10% resistance to impact, pierce and blade weapons is still not working.
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
Jozrael

Re: Mainline Campaign: Under the Burning Suns

Post by Jozrael »

Couple of bugs with the advancement system:

It seems the +10% physical resistances are limited by ToD as well, which would appear not to be the intended effect. Removing the filter on time of day probably fixes this.

It is impossible (AFAIK) to access the leadership upgrades. Regardless of what my original choices, I cannot access leadership for Kaleh. I was in debug mode and put him through a variety of upgrade trees.

Also, it is possible to build him in such a way that for a singular levelup, you have no choices of what to build. If you focus archery and never pick swordsman, you will have a levelup 3-5 levels in that simply levels him up with no dialog. The next time you are given a multitude of choices.

Finally, I think it would be prudent to add in a dialog after he's achieved his maximum levelup (where you decide not to allow him the choice of the remaining options) that signals this to the player, rather than simply removing his (purple) experience bar.

Also, another bug related to the new gold system: After "In the Domain of the Dwarves", you have a talking scenario where you can recruit a unit to wield the flaming sword. Problem is, this requires at least 20 gold pieces, and I ended the last scenario with 9 bonus gold. Therefore, I can't recruit a unit. You should make sure they can recruit a unit in this scenario for the sword.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Just discovered an odd graphics glitch. In the scenario where they are running from the oncoming river (Out of the Frying Pan), there are numerous orange/blue 'glyphs' on the ground in the caves. If you hover over certain surrounding hexes (those to the right and bottom seem to do the trick), an odd, red-hued gradient appears over the triangle that would be included if the hex containing the glyph were fitted into a square (the top left triangle in this case). It is bright red closest to the hex containing the glyph (along the hypotenuse), and black at the corner. It appears to (with every entrance/exit of the mouse from one of the trigger hexes) to darken these hues, starting from very bright to pitch red/black.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Jozrael wrote:It is impossible (AFAIK) to access the leadership upgrades. Regardless of what my original choices, I cannot access leadership for Kaleh. I was in debug mode and put him through a variety of upgrade trees.
We know that it may be offered as an option at random times, however:

https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?12983

Other bugs: noted. However, we can't add the "really last AMLA" dialog/notice for 1.6 at the moment. It will be postponed for 1.7.x.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Note: One bug remains unfixed in 1.5.14. The physical +10% resistance is still limited by ToD, UNLIKE what it's description mentions.

This is what the descriptions imply for the 2 upgrades:

"10% resistance to blade, pierce, and impact": Just what it says.

"20% resistance under the sun": 20% resistance to all 6 forms of damage while it is day (and not underground).

This is what actually occurs:

If you have both upgrades, during the day:

Arcane -10% (this does not change, possibly a bug with the 20% resistance under the sun, which works properly with the other 5 damage types).

Blade 30% (20%+10%, correct)
Cold 20% (correct)
Fire 20% (correct)
Impact 30% (20%+10%, correct)
Pierce 30% (20%+10%, correct)

During dawn/dusk/night:

Arcane -10% (correct)
Blade 0% (incorrect, should be 10%)
Cold 0% (correct)
Fire 0% (correct)
Impact 0% (incorrect, should be 10%)
Pierce 0% (incorrect, should be 10%)

Remove:

Code: Select all

[filter_self]
                        [filter_location]
                            time_of_day=lawful
                        [/filter_location]
                    [/filter_self]
from the KALEH_ARMOR advancement in units\Kaleh.cfg.

Something confusing that occurs is if there is only one advancement possible in the tree, the game chooses it for you. I'm not sure if you can make the advancement tree show the option when there is only one remaining, as that is something in the Wesnoth code, not the UtBS one (and, outside of this example, would be a negative effect on the game). It's just confusing to the player, especially when it happens midtree.

Something that is incongruent is the way levelups affect attack damage and the relationship between sword2 and the stunning attack.

First of all, levelups are supposed to increase the dmg of all attacks by 1, but they only affect his starting attacks (not bolas or stunning).

Second, if you go sword1 > stun > sword2, the stunning attack dmg is increased. However, if you go sword1 > sword2 > stun, it is not.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Jozrael wrote:"20% resistance under the sun": 20% resistance to all 6 forms of damage while it is day (and not underground).
"This unit's resistances are increased by 20% in daylight, on defense and attack. Vulnerabilities are not affected."
So the arcane resistance works as intended. (I agree that it's odd though.) I've removed the odd ToD filter from the armor AMLA though.
Jozrael wrote:Something confusing that occurs is if there is only one advancement possible in the tree, the game chooses it for you. I'm not sure if you can make the advancement tree show the option when there is only one remaining, as that is something in the Wesnoth code, not the UtBS one (and, outside of this example, would be a negative effect on the game). It's just confusing to the player, especially when it happens midtree.
I've added a "always_display" key to [advancement] so you can force the advance dialog to show now.
Jozrael wrote:First of all, levelups are supposed to increase the dmg of all attacks by 1, but they only affect his starting attacks (not bolas or stunning).
Thanks, I hadn't noticed that. Fixed.
Jozrael wrote: Second, if you go sword1 > stun > sword2, the stunning attack dmg is increased. However, if you go sword1 > sword2 > stun, it is not.
I'd call that a trade-off between choosing the (mostly useless?) stun attack early or not but I could also again make it sword1 > sword2 > stun.

Thanks for the detailed feedback!
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Theo

Post by Theo »

I haven't played this campaign in ages and just out of curiosity, how much longer do you think it will be fully "complete" in comparison to the other campaigns? According to the latest development version some scenarios are "still under reconstruction." Just wanted to know so that the next time I play I'll get the full experience.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

As far as I know, Mist was the one who put it under construction (and still has -big- plans for it). However, he's MIA, so I suppose we could remove that tag from the campaign :o.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Theo wrote:I haven't played this campaign in ages and just out of curiosity, how much longer do you think it will be fully "complete" in comparison to the other campaigns? According to the latest development version some scenarios are "still under reconstruction." Just wanted to know so that the next time I play I'll get the full experience.
No more non-bug-fixing changes to scenarios can occur in 1.6 RC 1 onwards. We are past RC 3, so... yeah, we should have removed that label.

I know that Fabi and Espreon had/have plans for continuing Mist's work on UtBS after Wesnoth 1.6 was released, and change a lot of stuff in 1.7.x, but I haven't read much from them lately.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Nubie

Post by Nubie »

Keeps telling me i've not rescued everyone. But I have...I've explored nearly every corner of the map..every tile...stepped on all 19 villages and killed the necro and his minions.

I've had a few units die but the objective is to not loose your leaders, not anyone ellse, right?

Im playing on the hardest difficulty.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Can you post a save?