Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sir_Toejam

Post by Sir_Toejam »

several issues:

one, for some reason this campaign frequently crashes whenever text messages are displayed if playing in fullscreen mode. this does not happen with the HTTT campaign, or when playing this campaign in windowed mode.

two, in the second scenario, when you kill the last scorpion, it supposedly drops a ring, but there is no ring on the ground, and if it was supposed to be given to the one who killed the scorp, it has no visible effect.

three, according to the changelog the version that came with 1.12a has captains with 47 hp instead of 44. this is incorrect; they still have 44.

great storyline so far; any way to spawn that ring in?

cheers

EDIT:

the ring actually spawned underneath a unit a couple of squares away from the last scorpion, so i didn't see it until i moved my units away from the area.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

two, in the second scenario, when you kill the last scorpion, it supposedly drops a ring, but there is no ring on the ground, and if it was supposed to be given to the one who killed the scorp, it has no visible effect.
The ring appears at a set hex location after the scorpians are killed regardless of where they are killed. This is especially confusing if you kite the scorpians far from where they originally spawn.

Yes, it crashes like crazy when dialogue starts. Your guess is as good as mine, everyone seems to suffer from it.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
dthurston

Post by dthurston »

Surely the Desert Shyde and Desert Star should be able to float over deep water, like the Elvish Shyde can now? But I guess this would make the underground lake less scary, which is perhaps the point.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

I'm thinking that will cause lots of issues with the Out of the Frying Pan scenario.

Besides most of the campaign takes place in the desert or underground, why would you ever need to fly over deep water?
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
dthurston

Post by dthurston »

SmokemJags wrote:Besides most of the campaign takes place in the desert or underground, why would you ever need to fly over deep water?
It would help a lot in "In the Domain of Dwarves" at the dark lake.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Helping facilitate the ease of one scenario < breaking several other scenarios. :roll:
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Read the thread. They could fly over deep water but this was explicitely removed for balancing reasons.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

SmokemJags wrote:Helping facilitate the ease of one scenario < breaking several other scenarios. :roll:
Later scenarios there are times where I want to restrict the elves movement and keep you from being able to fly all over the map, that's why I kept the shydes/stars from being able to fly over deep water. And SJ is correct that it would break "Out of the Frying Pan". I could have created a new terrain type called "Really Deep Water" just to have something the shydes/stars couldn't fly over, but that seemed stupid.

As for "Domain of the Dwarves" I greatly increased the amount of shallow water to give you some more manuverability in that scenario.
Sir_Toejam

Post by Sir_Toejam »

I could have created a new terrain type called "Really Deep Water"
hmm, this brings up a question;

Is there damaging terrain types?

like lava, "turbulent air" areas, etc.?

you could use damaging terrain to control movement as well.

not saying there is a need here, just a thought.

[/quote]
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Is there damaging terrain types?
This is done through triggers, macros, and things of that nature. For example, daytime + sand hex + second scenario = lose health over time. Same as the Troll Tunnels scenarios with the lava.

There is no terrain that, by itself, inflicts damage if a unit is on it.
jg

Post by jg »

SmokemJags wrote:There is no terrain that, by itself, inflicts damage if a unit is on it.
But something like that would be really nice to have... (at least for some units)

jg
Sir_Toejam

Post by Sir_Toejam »

should there be an early finish bonus for the longest night scenario?
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Sir_Toejam wrote:should there be an early finish bonus for the longest night scenario?
The lack of an "early finish" bonus is intentional. Instead the bonus is calculated based on how many villages you save. The more you save, the less the cost of recruiting new units increases. This scenario is designed to be harsh.
inykane

Hunting the Dwarves, error at the end -> crash

Post by inykane »

Hi,

First, thanks for a great campaign. I didn't know they could be made this fun. Anyway, the fun stops at the end of the scenario where the dwarven leader is killed. I think the Troll Shaman is supposed to appear, but that's where it crashes. It misses an image "troll2" or some such.

I read from the other message, that simply removing the "2" fixes it. The problem is, I have no clue as to what to what file to meddle with and how. Kinda new to this. Anyone care to point me to the source of the true knowledge?

Thanks
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

inykane,
Go to data/campaigns/under_the_burning_suns/scenarios/6_2_Hunting_Dwarves.cfg

Search for the word "troll2" replace it with "Troll Shaman" and everything will be fine.

For the record: also open 8_Frying_Pan.cfg, search for "Water Serpent", and delete any lines containing that unit. Finally open 11_Island.cfg and change "Sea Serpent2" to "Sea Serpent".

These have also been fixed in the SVN version.