Northern Rebirth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheChronoMaster

Post by TheChronoMaster »

Tom of wesnoth wrote:Ha ha what does that mean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony#Situational_irony
Not a particularly good Wesnoth player, but getting there. If anyone wants to go up against me, feel free to PM me.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Tom of wesnoth wrote:Ok the de-serilize unit thing massage
I checked and corrected my message with the right error message :wink:

So, what can cause this problem ?
Sly

Post by Sly »

Ok I tested and saw that it's the $betrayed_friend. variable in the scenario .cfg that doesn't exist in the savefile.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Sly wrote:Juste found 2 other bugs :wink: :
- In A Ray of Hope, I think there may be shroud, by the way the dialogues are :wink:
- Judgement is unplayable : I get a "Atempt to deserialize an empty unit" massage. :?
Thanks again Sly. This branch needs some serious work. I have been neglecting it a bit while I was fine tuning the main branch. Anyhow, I'll put that on the back burner until I get this branch up and running again.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Theo

Post by Theo »

Hi. I'm having a bit of trouble with "The Pursuit". I've managed to kill Malifor with Camerin. However, I was then informed that I had to defeat him with a white mage instead. When the lich died, it opened up a passage way to the Grand Chamber, where I suspected he would appear next. I killed all the spiders in the area and even got the Rod of Justice. Problem is, Malifor isn't there. In fact, I don't know where he is. It seems like there's some kind of bug that prevents Malifor from re-spawning there perhaps?

I'm using version 1.3.8.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Theo wrote:Hi. I'm having a bit of trouble with "The Pursuit". I've managed to kill Malifor with Camerin. However, I was then informed that I had to defeat him with a white mage instead. When the lich died, it opened up a passage way to the Grand Chamber, where I suspected he would appear next. I killed all the spiders in the area and even got the Rod of Justice. Problem is, Malifor isn't there. In fact, I don't know where he is. It seems like there's some kind of bug that prevents Malifor from re-spawning there perhaps?

I'm using version 1.3.8.
No no, there is no bug, Malifor is elsewhere :wink:
Theo

Post by Theo »

Sly wrote:
Theo wrote:Hi. I'm having a bit of trouble with "The Pursuit". I've managed to kill Malifor with Camerin. However, I was then informed that I had to defeat him with a white mage instead. When the lich died, it opened up a passage way to the Grand Chamber, where I suspected he would appear next. I killed all the spiders in the area and even got the Rod of Justice. Problem is, Malifor isn't there. In fact, I don't know where he is. It seems like there's some kind of bug that prevents Malifor from re-spawning there perhaps?

I'm using version 1.3.8.
No no, there is no bug, Malifor is elsewhere :wink:
Really, now?

The only part of the map I haven't explored is the underwater dungeon with the sea monsters on the far right corner of the map...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Have you gone right the way up the corridor to the right of the one taking you to the grand chamber? the one rammed to the gills with draugs?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Theo

Post by Theo »

thespaceinvader wrote:Have you gone right the way up the corridor to the right of the one taking you to the grand chamber? the one rammed to the gills with draugs?
You mean the path to Malifor's study? I went through all the passageways with signposts except the aforementioned sea monster path. I have all the prisoners freed and all the gold in the treasury collected. Plus, I got the Rod of Justice and killed Malifor in his study, making him disappear.

By the way, there are at least three Death Knights still alive. After I smashed through the bulwark of their forces, they weren't recruiting much, so didn't want to waste time defeating them.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Theo wrote:
Sly wrote:No no, there is no bug, Malifor is elsewhere :wink:
Really, now?

The only part of the map I haven't explored is the underwater dungeon with the sea monsters on the far right corner of the map...
You got it :wink:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

o_O for me he didn't disappear in his study, he just died. But then i'd explored the water already by that stage. Very useful, too, there's a free loyal unit for the taking if you know where to look.

And it's worth beating the righthand death knight at least, for the 6 bottles of holy water.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

GAH, the friendly AI on the level 'Settling Disputes' is IDIOTIC. I kill the Lich with the two white mages, leaving both un-leveled when i could level one of them. If i kill the ogre to the north with Camerin, the dwarvish lord goesa and sits on the village to the south and gets splattered by the troll. If i kill the troll, the ogre lets Ro'Sothian out and then kills the Lord. There's always a safe village in the lord's move range when i kill one of the two targets, and he always takes his one-health backside to the one which will get him killed.

>.< GAH.
Theo

Post by Theo »

Sly wrote:
Theo wrote: Really, now?

You got it :wink:
Does this mean if I HAD explored that area thoroughly before I shanked Malifor, then he would've reappeared in a random, already explored area?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Theo wrote:
Sly wrote:
Does this mean if I HAD explored that area thoroughly before I shanked Malifor, then he would've reappeared in a random, already explored area?
At the moment, where he appears depends on what type of attack you kill him with. At the time that I wrote the scenario I was relitivley new at WML and that was the only easy way for me to make it rather random. Perhaps I should make it truely random sometime...

But in direct answer to your question - no. He still would have showed up in the same place even if you had explored the area. It just would have been less frustrating for you because you would have seen him. So, get your wetsuits on and wade in - you have a lich to kill. Oh, and I hope you aren't squeemish about floating corpses...
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Theo

Post by Theo »

Taurus wrote:
Theo wrote: At the moment, where he appears depends on what type of attack you kill him with. At the time that I wrote the scenario I was relitivley new at WML and that was the only easy way for me to make it rather random. Perhaps I should make it truely random sometime...

But in direct answer to your question - no. He still would have showed up in the same place even if you had explored the area. It just would have been less frustrating for you because you would have seen him. So, get your wetsuits on and wade in - you have a lich to kill. Oh, and I hope you aren't squeemish about floating corpses...
To tell you the truth, I had already seen all four of the floating corpses, the sea dragon, and the Nagas in their castle. I figured that once I had found Malifor the first time, I wouldn't have to worry about fighting those troublesome monsters. I had just wanted to find out what was actually THERE to satisfy my curiosity because I had assumed that once I had killed the lich the first time, the level would end and I wouldn't get a chance to explore.

But enough of the confusing explanations. Thanks for the clarification.