The Rise of Wesnoth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by zookeeper »

oea wrote:some minor things.
lady jessene's last lines should have 'lightning' not 'lighting' (last thing she says in the epilogue).
Thanks, fixed.
oea wrote:in the wml event when the nagas appear (battle of wesnoth) it has lines allowing side 3 (the sea castle orc) to recruit nagas, which he has already been doing the whole scenario (so it doesnt really matter, and quite frankly i prefer the nagas to the damn bats).
Yeah, I'm not sure what the original intention was there, so I'll just leave it as it is.
oea wrote:and lastly who the hell is 'sir ladoc'? did i miss this charactor or was it removed? i tried searching the wmls of most all the scenarios to see if i could find his first appearance to no avail (though in most all of these there is a /recall 'sir ladoc' line).
[/quote]
He's the loyal knight you get in "The Midlands". He (and his counterpart in "The Swamp of Esten") has only a handful of spoken lines though, so no wonder he's easily forgotten.
oea

Post by oea »

well i am surprised i missed the wml for 'sir ladoc' as the midlands was the first scenario i checked. (...brain fart...)
i really wish the walkthu had mentioned this character i might have chosen to go that path. i dont like 'minister edrens' trait (strong is imo the least desirable trait for a mage), and i do like 'sir ladocs'.
hrmm not sure which way i woulda gone. it was nice having a white mage right from the start of a scenario. but as i didnt like edrens trait he became a second string white mage, i leveled a quick/resilient mage to mage of light before him.
ah well water under the bridge. maybe i will get him whenever i get around to replaying the campaign (maybe i will try the hardest level then also lol).
by the way thanks for the fast responses. the only response i got to an actual bug i found in 'under the burning suns' was someone who misread my post and didnt understand what i had written (that was why i put the actual code when i reported the little flaw above).
Poison

Post by Poison »

A little dialogue mistake: In the scenario Return to Oldwood (story only), in the beginning the Ancient Wose Elilmadur-Rithrandil says:

"My eyes do not extend beyond the forest. You have indeed shown yourself a tree-friend, I would there were more I could do to help you." It should be:

"My eyes do not extend beyond the forest. You have indeed shown yourself a tree-friend, I wish there were more I could do to help you."

(Also shouldn't it be "shown yourself as a tree-friend," (?) no native speaker so not sure about that one.)
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Poison wrote:"My eyes do not extend beyond the forest. You have indeed shown yourself a tree-friend, I would there were more I could do to help you."
This appears to be an intentional use of archaic English - see https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/would.
Poison

Post by Poison »

Oh thanks didn't know about that obviously. The second part is also wrong I'd guess? (Just out of curiocity).
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Poison wrote:Oh thanks didn't know about that obviously. The second part is also wrong I'd guess? (Just out of curiocity).
The second part could be worded either way - I don't think there is much difference.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Im sure I am out of the loop but i have a question. Why exactly was demilich removed?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

ElderofZion wrote:Im sure I am out of the loop but i have a question. Why exactly was demilich removed?
It looks like it was done immediately after The Dark Hordes was removed so I guess that was the reason.

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... 22db93a059 - "removed tdh from mainline"
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... f78a707da3 - "made the demilich in trow be a normal lich"
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... e9715b2300 - "completely remove the Demilich from trow"
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Eh, but why, casual liches ruling wesfolk makes less sense. Also it makes it less believable that if lich lord Lenvan was a casual lich it would be necessary to contain him in a catacomb, also protected by a powerful spell if I remember correctly, even if he possessed ruby of fire. And if I am right lich lord Caror was petrified by a mage (or mages) because it was the only way to defeat him.

So overall the whole story suddenly makes less sense, removal of the demilich has detrimental effect on the lore, also battling a casual lich in catacombs can never be as exciting as battling 80 hp 15-4 chill tempest 15-2 cold drain touch demilich.
name

Post by name »

Could the turn limit be removed on the final scenario?

Quite a few mainline campaigns now give unlimited turns on their final scenario to defeat the final boss its army, but this 'policy' has not yet been extended to tRoW. Since there is no following scenario, the carryover mechanic cannot be exploited. And since in the story, all of your enemies are gathered to fight you in a pitched battle and your objective is to destroy them rather than run, a time limit makes no sense here.

Finally, I found there is an unexpected difficulty spike going into the final scenario from all the previous scenarios in the campaign. You can be left with not enough gold to recruit a force that can defeat all of your enemies before turns run out (whereas, you could consistently do this with the gold minimum in all the previous scenarios leading up to it).
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

I'm wondering why the Wesfolk Leader woman remains unnamed. I mean, she does play a part in at least several scenarios (I'm not all the way through yet), so it makes sense to name her. If "Red Shirt" Orc leaders who live for just a single scenario get names, I don't see why she shouldn't.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

They all have names, generated by some algorithm that makes them suitable for their race/culture. Can you get a screencap showing her having noname?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Spoiler:
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

oh its not a bug its on porpoise lol well you will have to play and find out
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

I'm "moving a discussion" here from GitHub issue 4865: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/4865.

In scenario 6, Jessene says:
I am the Lady Jessene, a noble, a princess of the Wesfolk! I was betrayed by the Lich-Lords' dark pact with the orcs, in no small part because your fool Prince of Southbay convinced them that their immortal un-lives were over!
Let's ignore the somewhat confusing wording and interpret this to mean that the attack by the Prince of Southbay has made the Lich-Lords fear for their lives, which in turn makes them make a pact with the Orcs.

Still, why would a band of powerful Liches be this fearful? That is, it's not fear of a military campaign by Southbay being successful, it's the fear of being destroyed personally. The Prince of Southbay does not command significant magical / clerical powers (plus, later in the campaign, Jevyan is not impressed with the Green Isle refugees). On the other hand, there's the story of the Ruby of Fire and Lich Lenvan, so maybe the story should be adapted to personalize the threat and introduce the supernatural means - actual or potential - which would allow the Prince of Southbay to more properly threaten the Liches' unlives.