The Rise of Wesnoth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Development Team
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by Development Team »

This is the main development thread for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth. The original first post for this thread follows.
Shade wrote:(TROW is in CVS, post 0.8.1 you can get it with the game. Current Verstion is: 0.6.1, on July 16 - see page 10)

New Campaign: The Rise of Wesnoth 0.1

This is a new campaign for Battle for Wesnoth. This campaign revolves around the events that brought 'Haldric I' to the 'Great Continent' to found the kingdom of Wesnoth. It is centred around the beginning of the Wesnoth time-line ( http://wesnoth.slack.it/?WesnothHistory ). It seeks to answer the following questions:

1. Who were the men of Wesnoth before they arrived?
2. How did man discover Wesnoth (or the 'Great Continent')?
<- Campaign starts here ->
3. Why did man migrate there in great numbers?
4. After they got to Wesnoth, why did the Elves tolerate them?
5. Why did King Haldric I betray the elves (and not help them fight against the Orcs)?
<- Campaign Ends Here ->

For my SPOILER infested take on events you can go here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1476 .

I intend to grow this into a full campaign, so I'm open to suggestions, bug reports, and just about any other abuse you want to trow my way. This is an initial release containing ONLY THREE MAPS. I have about 15 plot carrying scenarios in mind, but there might be more (side quests, filler, cool stuff, etc. . .) If you're on a *nix based system unpack the ZIP, 'su' to root, modify the 'Makefile' (if you must), then run 'make'. If you don't have 'make', be prepared to copy and paste.

I intend to release a new version every Thursday or Friday. Just in time for the weekend. So, have fun, and I hope you enjoy the beginning of my scenario.

Oh, and while I'm here. . .

TODO for 0.2:
-Three (+ / -) new scenarios.
-Custom unit graphics for the core characters
-More / better story graphics
-Incorporate player feedback

Have Fun!

_James
Last edited by Shade on July 23rd, 2004, 2:44 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Shade

Just a Note. . .

Post by Shade »

Since my weekend plans got bounced, I should have a 0.2.0 release done some time deep in the AM tomorrow. It will feature:

-The next 3 maps (Two of which were half done, but not ready for the .1 release).
-Intro graphic cleanup
-A slight modification & bug fix for the third map (So you should start over at the end of map 2).
-Custom character graphics???

Caio

_James
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I have a bug report one a few items, but before I give them, I must compliment Shade on the quality of the campaign. It is perhaps my favorite, aside from the main one, and after the kinks are worked out I look forward to excellent progress. Here goes:

1. Big bug. "Easy" mode does not work. When I select it, it waits one or two seconds, then, *blink*, it crashes. "Medium" works fine, have not tested "hard".

2. "Fist" should be "first".

3. On the third scenario, both 2nd level Orcish Warriors are titled: "King Eldoric IV".

About that third scenario, I found it quite unbalanced. Perhaps because I got beaten badly on the second level, or perhaps because, for the first time, I was playing on medium, but I could not win. I got the dwarf from the village in the NW, but he arrived too late to help. The enemy both recruit three castles full of guys, whereas I get about 1.75 full. My income is negative for quite some time, and I only raise slowly. Perhaps a decrease on the gold of the enemy?
Shade

Thanks

Post by Shade »

1. I'll test easy some more (I thought it was a 'works for me', but I'll give it a whirl). OK I found the bug, It's fixed on my disk.
2. fist -> first. Where? Time to haul out grep. (found it, fixed)
3. Already fixed (on my local disk)

Thanks! I should be releasing 0.2.0 @ about 5:00 PM EST. Any fixes will be in there, or I'll roll a 0.2.1.

As for as scenario 3 goes, I'll look at the gold. I will/has gone down, but I might bring it down some more. As an experiment I was trying to let the human & AI use the default income values, and villages, but I've been doing some twiddling there as well.

(Edit: Several times, ETA for .2 now 10 PM EST)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Shade

New Version 0.2.0

Post by Shade »

I just completed version 0.2.0. This release contains 3 more maps, and a pile of bug-fixes.

In short:
-3 More Scenarios
-New Story Segment
-Bug-fixes for the first 3 scenarios
-Map Clean-up
-A Tweaked Graphic / Unit for the King

Given the number of minor tweaks you might want to start over, or at least start from the end of scenario 2. . . 'A Harrowing Escape' has been re-balanced.

Have Fun

_James
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I have a problem downloading the latest version. At around 60%, it abnormally ends. I have tried this multiple times, but get the same result. I receive a zipped file, but my unzipper gives me an error of "unexpected end of archive". It seems the whole file is not downloading.
Shade

I'll give it a download. . .

Post by Shade »

I'll give it a download. . . Then see what's up.
Shade

Seems to Work for me. . .

Post by Shade »

What OS? What Zip client? I'm on Linux - Using ARK. I'll try the Windoze box in my closet right now (He, he, he literally a closet windows user).
Shade

Works for me!

Post by Shade »

It works for me under Windows and Linux, using WinZip, and Ark + Linux UnZip. . . Anybody else out there care to try and report back!
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Windows 98SE, and using WinRAR. I don't think it is the unzipper's fault, though. The download ends at 200 kb.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Insinuator wrote:Windows 98SE, and using WinRAR. I don't think it is the unzipper's fault, though. The download ends at 200 kb.
Try downloading it with a different browser, or with an utility that allows you to resume partial downloads (there are plenty of them as freeware/shareware, just search the web)

[OT] I would recommend you to use a browser like Mozilla, it has many advantages also (like blocking pop-ups, mail reader without outlook's vulnerabilities, and many more), but there are other good free browsers. Give them a try :wink:
Shade

Still all good for me. . .

Post by Shade »

I'm still getting the whole file, with Moz & Konqueror, but I'll re-attach.
Last edited by Shade on May 20th, 2004, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Well, the point is moot now, I downloaded it on a different computer, and it worked fine. But thanks anyways, Cobretti, I should have down that in the first place.
Shade

New Version 0.3.0

Post by Shade »

Hi,

I'm just announcing a NEW VERSION:

YOU SHOULD RESTART THE CAMPAIGN, IF YOU'VE PLAYED PREVIOUS VERSIONS. This should be the last time a restart is required, I promise.

Changes in 0.3.0:
-Added: One new playable map (up to 7 now)
-Added: A Story Map
-Added: Haldric Graphic (Modified Konrad, thnx to his authors)
-Added: Outlaw Princess
-Added: Tentacle

Fixes:
-Spelling (the bane of all geeks)
-Fixes for the Wesnoth 0.7.7 AI, for 'The Fall' in particular (can't have jumpy leaders, and the behaviour of ai_special=guardian has changed)

So, in total that's 7 maps, 2 story segments, and a story map, with one custom unit, and three tweaked units. . . I'm at the point where I think I have a pretty solid base.

What I'd like is for people to play and pound on these maps so I can get any remaining kinks ironed out. . .

Thanks! Have Fun!

_James

(edit: Re-attached the file)
Last edited by Shade on May 20th, 2004, 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I can't seem to download the latest version -- file has 0 bytes in size. However I think this might be due to the site having run out of diskspace. I've tried to free up some space -- can you try to upload it again?

Thanks,

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming