The Rise of Wesnoth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vicza

Re: Campaign: The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by vicza »

Duddl wrote:P.S. What do the heroic endings of a mission do?
Give you early finish bonus. Don't give you, if not heroic.
Lythanos

Post by Lythanos »

Hi!

Not sure if it's already been pointed out, but I just noticed what is apparently a small mistake in the dialogue of Return to Oldwood interlude.
The tree guy says:
"You have indeed shown yourself a tree-friend, I would there were more I could do to help you", which doesn't seem to make sense. I believe he means:
"You have indeed shown yourself a tree-friend, I wish there were more I could do to help you"

Other than that, I am new to Wesnoth, this is my first campaign and I'm enjoying it a lot so far!

Cheers
scott

Post by scott »

Lythanos wrote:Hi!

Not sure if it's already been pointed out, but I just noticed what is apparently a small mistake in the dialogue of Return to Oldwood interlude.
The tree guy says:
"You have indeed shown yourself a tree-friend, I would there were more I could do to help you", which doesn't seem to make sense. I believe he means:
"You have indeed shown yourself a tree-friend, I wish there were more I could do to help you"

Other than that, I am new to Wesnoth, this is my first campaign and I'm enjoying it a lot so far!

Cheers
It's an archaic construction in English and intentional as I recall. The trees are really old, you know.
:D
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Whoa.
F50

Post by F50 »

Duddl wrote:I've got a bug here :augh: When a new Scenario starts in a campaign there are usually these ... points that show you the way your army has been walking. Well, with me they seem to be shifted to the left.
I got that too. "Hmm... that's odd, I thought I was going to the shore, not an island." :P
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The map from 1.2 was replaced in 1.4, but the points' location wasn't changed in every campaign. (it's fine in HttT now though)
F50

Post by F50 »

There's a problem with the Ka'lian. Its not really critical, but the scenario saves over itself, so once you pick your second quest, you cannot go back to your first quest if necessary without redoing the previous scenario (A new land). This wouldn't be that hard if this couldn't also be repeated with the third and second quests, requiring the player to redo the first quest, which isn't good, especially if the problem is about gold (which if you aren't spoiled, it could be). Luckily, I won't have to redo "A new land" because I there's quite a lot of gold to be had in the naga beech scenario (got 300+ when I started with about 150 gold).
vicza

Post by vicza »

F50 wrote:There's a problem with the Ka'lian. Its not really critical, but the scenario saves over itself, so once you pick your second quest, you cannot go back to your first quest if necessary without redoing the previous scenario
It only shows once again, how bad was the idea (in 1.3-1.4) to autodelete autosaves and automatically save new scenario games. There were no mentioned problem in 1.2: I simply saved these games as Ka'lian2, Ka'lian3 etc. And currently, indeed, the new saves are being written over the old ones without asking.

What even more strange, if a replay already exists, it asks whether do you want to overwrite it (absolutely useless, because replays are corrupted anyway). But if a saved game with the same name already exists, it does not ask, simply overwrites. I see no logic here.
F50

Post by F50 »

vicza wrote:It only shows once again, how bad was the idea (in 1.3-1.4) to autodelete autosaves and automatically save new scenario games.
What? To the contrary, it was a very good idea, and save me a lot of work. Since its the first stable release since then, one shouldn't be surprised that there are some problems with it.
What even more strange, if a replay already exists, it asks whether do you want to overwrite it (absolutely useless, because replays are corrupted anyway). But if a saved game with the same name already exists, it does not ask, simply overwrites. I see no logic here.
You are correct there is no logic here, but that doesn't mean that the entire thing is a bad idea, and it is no reason to be so annoyed. Furthermore, this only shows up in scenarios that loop back, which is all of...one official scenario I think.
vicza

Post by vicza »

F50 wrote:What? To the contrary, it was a very good idea, and save me a lot of work.
And gave lot of work to me. In 1.2, savefiles were deleted automatically after my confirmation. In 1.4, it doesn't ask me about confirmation anymore, so I had to switch this deleting off and delete them later manually. So I have reasons to be so annoyed. :x :annoyed:

And what lot of work it saved to you, I wonder? :o
Furthermore, this only shows up in scenarios that loop back
Or you can play one campaign several times...
F50

Post by F50 »

that can be solved with save file folders which is said will be implmented in-game if you don't use them already yourself.

Why would you want to keep autosaves after you win?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

scott wrote:It's an archaic construction in English and intentional as I recall. The trees are really old, you know.
:D
:!:
phpbb wrote:Posted: April 17th, 2008, 10:26 am
:shock:
vicza wrote:It only shows once again, how bad was the idea (in 1.3-1.4) to autodelete autosaves and automatically save new scenario games. There were no mentioned problem in 1.2: I simply saved these games as Ka'lian2, Ka'lian3 etc. And currently, indeed, the new saves are being written over the old ones without asking.
I'd certainly appreciate if you posted in the Ideas forum a possible solution to this issue, or suggesting to go back to the old system if you don't have more ide... ehm, suggestions.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Diendiadre

Post by Diendiadre »

Hi!
Nobody probably reads through the entire thread with all the 30 pages and I´m afraid I haven´t either, I hope no one will blame me for this. On second thought I know someone will, I just hope they won´t.
I've played through the entire campaign. I really liked the resistance in the campaign and thought most maps were hard but managable, with the exception of the saurian map which is to hard in every concievable way. I also really like some of the general story of the campaign. It´s very well written. I like the twist in the ending and it summarisez things in a nice but melodramatic way. There are some interesting twists, but mainly the story is made up of two parts. The escape and the building of the new empire. The building of the new empire has most twists and most thoughts behind, while the escape is mostly interesting at the very start of the campaign. That being said I didn´t find the battle in the sewers with the mages boring. It even made me sad, since I only killed one of the brothers and not the other.

There's to much killing in Wesnoth though. It´s a bit american and I don´t really like it. I prefer people being taken as slaves or imprisoned or just plain released without weapons, or allowed to run. Sometimes I would also like a foe that was slain return, either as undead or just alive. The person might not have died, he might just have seemed to die and things like that. I would also love if the enemy could retreat of the map and either turn up on another map or never return. Anyways, I´m swedish so maybe that´s why I don´t like killing that much. However I've finished almost all of the campaigns of battle for Wesnoth and sometimes you don´t focus on the killing at all and that´s when I generally enjoy the battles the most.

That´s my first critique of this campaign and if you didn´t like that one, you shouldn´t even read this one. I´m afraid I don´t like the romance in this story, simply because there is none. The dialogue has no electricity, there´s no attraction between the queen of thieves and the lost prince. None at all. They feel foreign towards each other, all the time. They never compliment each other, they never share a beautiful moment and they never looks tenderly or comfortly at each other. Some people would say that the same could be said about Lisar, while her partner showes a lot of love, she never does. There´s a certain truth to this but somehow I manage to ignore that in An Heir to the throne. However in The Rise of Wesnoth it´s impossible to ignore. There's no love, only coldness and a bit of playful teasing. Sure the lost prince and the queen of thieves seems to come along with each other, but that´s about it. There's no sparks, ever. Not in the end either, which I will explain further down if you read that far.

A friend of mine really likes red heads and I must admit I like the way the queen of thieves is. She seems to be an interesting character. Well on papper at least, she does, in theory she does, but her dialogue doesn´t show this at all. There's no discussion about morale through out the story, yet the lost prince and her seem to have very different morale codes, or maybe they doesn´t. There's nothing in the story to suggest that though, in fact the queen of thieves little trick with the elves suggests otherwise. I admit that was a brave thing to do and a cool thing to do, but there was again no attraction between the lost prince and the queen of thieves.

Is the prince worried about her health during this mission? How much does he worry? Does he lose sleep over it? Would he rather die then allow anything to happen to her? Does he thank her properly for doing something so extremly dangerous? Hiding from elves in the forest, that know the trees almost perfectly while spying on them, is a very brave deed indeed. I wouldn't do it even if I were an expert ranger and thief. Then again she never thanked the prince for a dozen things he did for her. Not that we know of, anyways. They must be the coldest couple ever to fight together.

Life is short, especially for people always being in a fight. These people live in a war. I know that all that is being censored here, but to me it just feels unreal. The northern rebirth captured real electricity. The couple there seems alive and cute. They blush. Their friends laugh at them. They say beutiful things to each other and they even stare. They comfort one another. They feel real. Not real, real, but saga real, fantasyreal. If they were really real, they would be crying a lot more and probably they would have a lot more between 5 and 7.

Make these character fantasyreal at least. I loved everything else in the campaign, but the couple in the campaign is killing all the joy of it. I know there are others who like the couple. They are probably imagining all the dialogue themselves. They could probably write a book about how much they like the couple. But I promise you in the campaign there´s nothing of this. There's no magic in their relationship. Nothing that makes you feel warm inside ever. They've just killed a dragon and all the queen of thieves says is that she won´t call him a dragonkiller. I'm sorry but particular part that I just exemplified is childish. They are scared. They might lose their lives and when they somehow succeeds against the odds and that map is a hard one by the way, they crack jokes about names. I´m sorry but I can't see that happen. I can't like it. I won't. Can she at least wonder wether the hero is a bit hurt when he gets a hit by one of the enemy creatures. Then when the lost prince picks up on her feelings you can allow her to start cracking jokes.

Perhaps she's putting up a facade, because she doesn't want to show him her feelings, perhaps she doesn't want to be like other girls, since he's a prince and everything, but she still have to show appreciation or any girl that makes a pass on the prince will have ten times more chance in getting him then her. The only reason he picks the queen of thieves in the end, is because there aren't any other girls in the story. You might ofcourse ask yourself why that is?
I know I am. Why only one pairing?, was it because The Heir to The Throne had only one pairing? Where you trying to be more of a classic then even an Heir to the throne was? or did you just want the same feeling?

If this was a manga there would have been embarrising scenes and kisses. Ofcourse that's a bit too much in a game like this. So perhaps a hug? Perhaps two people look at the ocean joining hands after just winning a big battle. So there's a vague proposal at the end of the campaign that gives a feeling of life. I noticed that, I did, but love doesn't appear after a crisis even though that would have been convinient for all the golddiggers in the world. Indeed they might seem to have no future, but that would only make their feelings for each other more intense. Now it seems as if the prince only married the queen of thieves because he worried for her. What will become of her if I don't marry her. Ohh no, she might turn into an outlaw again and get hanged. Maybe that was his thoughts when he started the marriage with her. If it was, there's definetly a cold ending, because that won't be a happy wedding, or maybe it will, but then it's still weird in a lot of ways.

In a pure fantasy story, love should be beautiful. It should be pure. It ought to be out of love they marry and no other reason whatsoever. Try giving the pair some electricity, please. And I really mean that. It would really make the story an awful lot better.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I think... that what you are realy looking for is a diffrent game.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Agreed.