The Rise of Wesnoth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sjm

Post by sjm »

I do have a replay (version 1.2.6) - but it's actually really easy, given how the AI behaves. All you need or 3-4 mermen and distribute them across the map (I had 1 at the bottom, 1 central, 1 to the left of the top island and 1 in the top right corner). Press ctrl-b and move them so that the nearest AI unit can end his turn 1 hex away from actually attacking you. Repeat ad infinitum and withdraw to deep water when necessary. It's sort of like herding sheep :) If you watch the replay, you'll notice that once the mermen are nicely in place, you could probably keep it up forever.

Then again, maybe I'm just suffering from having played too many games live Civ 3 or Age of Wonders 2, where you can lead the AI in circles willy-nilly by smartly moving your units. Especially in Age of Wonders 2, this is imperative at the start when playing against the higher AI levels (who are no smarter, but just start with otherwise invincible forces compared to you posse of wusses to compensate for their utter incompetence).

I have played several Wesnoth campaigns (mainline) without finishing any but the really short ones - I started out the first few on "normal" but soon learnt the hard way that I wasn't quite good enough for that. I didn't know to save up gold, I didn't recall enough units to gather xp or protect my important units enough, seeing each scenario as a separate entity. And then I'd come up against a scenario I couldn't beat with no gold and no good units. So I restarted them on "easy". TROW is definitely not difficult on this setting, but I have had to restart some scenarios - most notably due to the princess getting killed. She doesn't really have that many HPs and if you're "unlucky" (or weren't paying enough attention to who can reach her), 70% defence doesn't help :(
Attachments
A_New_Land_replay.zip
replay
(26.03 KiB) Downloaded 832 times
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

thats strange... i think when i played it on Normal in 1.2.4, the orcs advanced and eventually attacked me in the camp. maybe i shouldnt have grabbed those villages on land or sea.
the gold from waiting the turns is really needed in the next levels
lucio

48 Turns of avoidance...

Post by lucio »

I have just completed sjm's Feat, and was very pissed off at the end of 48 turns to lose the scenario. Maybe I should read the walkthroughs in advance next time! :evil:

Well, How many turns should you wait before attacking?

L
Nova

Post by Nova »

Looking at the scenario file, it doesn't appear that there's any reason to delay attacking at all.

Just go get them, and the scenario ends.
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Flight to Freedom: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=690
Co-Author, Maintainer
Shade

Re: 48 Turns of avoidance...

Post by Shade »

lucio wrote:I have just completed sjm's Feat, and was very pissed off at the end of 48 turns to lose the scenario. Maybe I should read the walkthroughs in advance next time! :evil:

Well, How many turns should you wait before attacking?

L
If this is in relation to: A New Land

This scenario is one step above 'Cut Scene'. You can farm some gold, or play hide and seek, but you can tap out whenever you want. It's meant to be slightly confusing... You show up in this new place fleeing from trouble, and sure enough it looks like your only hope for refuge is about to lynch you... If you're really so starved for gold you should go back to 'A final Spring', or be more economical on your ocean voyage.

Eventually, somebody should catch up to you, or you them... Or you should just get frustrated and attack to see what happens.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
sjm

Post by sjm »

Designing something so as to be "confusing" is not normally a good idea for the end user. Especially when they get pissed off at wasting 3 hours of their time and then can't be bothered to continue playing the campaign any more...

Imagine if "confusing" was the new software paradigm and all your apps were designed with this in mind. You'd go bananas.

If it's a cut scene, limit it to 5-10 turns max, and don't make the player lose for having followed your (incorrect) instructions.
Shade

Post by Shade »

sjm wrote:Designing something so as to be "confusing" is not normally a good idea for the end user. Especially when they get pissed off at wasting 3 hours of their time and then can't be bothered to continue playing the campaign any more...

Imagine if "confusing" was the new software paradigm and all your apps were designed with this in mind. You'd go bananas.

If it's a cut scene, limit it to 5-10 turns max, and don't make the player lose for having followed your (incorrect) instructions.
File a bug report :) I wouldn't really be opposed to having the elf come out on the last turn. But I don't get a say-- all I can speak to is what the intent was back when I designed it.

As far as applying 'Interface Theory' to 'game-play' goes... Umm, it's not very apples to apples. But (maybe) cutting the # of turns and having the elf come out at the end wouldn't be bad... Cough, but I'd be mean enough to not cap it at 10 turns... A little larger than that.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
SammyA

Post by SammyA »

Hi friends.

A problem occured in The Rise of Wesnoth campaign.
At the end of the scenario The old forest it tells me
"Unknown scenario: temple_in_th_Deep"

Waht could that be?

Greets
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

looks like a typo in "the old forest", next_scenario should be temple_in_the_deep probably.
SammyA

Post by SammyA »

sorry, was my fault.

Of course, it tells me unknown scenario: temple_in_the_deep

:-)

Do you know what to do to fix it?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

which version are you using? It seems fine in 1.3.16 (though I haven't tested it)
SammyA

Post by SammyA »

thats what I use.

But I'm new to the game ...

I just finished the forest thing and then this messag shows up
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs <-- this might help, as can posting this in the "technical support" section of the forum.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

There is a problem in the second scenario, when you kill the Wesfolk leader and when you make the decision wether to spare her life or not, with the second choice "Your words can't be trusted. Prepare to meet your Gods!" Gods should be gods, since the g in god is only capitilized when refering to the god of Christianity, Judiasm or Islam.
Duddl

Re: Campaign: The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by Duddl »

I've got a bug here :augh: When a new Scenario starts in a campaign there are usually these ... points that show you the way your army has been walking. Well, with me they seem to be shifted to the left. It's not that bad, I mean nothing about the game really changes, but still thats confusing :hmm:

P.S. What do the heroic endings of a mission do?
Attachments
bananarama
bananarama