The Rise of Wesnoth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Post by scott »

Flamma wrote:Translating the campaign I have found a typo, or so I think. In "Return to Oldwood", the Lady Outlaw says:

"The news is not good. The main host of orcs is between the forest and Southbay. We clearly can't go that way. However, the road to Clearwater Port is free of orcs. Apparently they're bogged down in the swamp of Esten."

I think that she should better say "The news are not good", or am i wrong?
News is singular in this case. No news is good news. Or, "No gnus is good gnus with Gary Gnu!" (anyone remember?)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Small weirdness: in the Midlands, all three Orc leaders have the same portrait.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Just finished this campaign and wanted to say a quick congrats to the people who made it. It's easily the best I have played so far. The levels are cool (except for a few problem scenarios), well balanced and neatly designed. Also the storyline is excellent! (Probably seems more so after the traumatic experience of EI...yuk!)

So yeah...congrats and cheers :D.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Zhukov wrote:(Probably seems more so after the traumatic experience of EI...yuk!)
:twisted:

The problem with EI is i have it it plotted out in my head, but I haven't rewritten teh dialogue yet...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Brivido
Translator

Campaign: The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by Brivido »

It seems to me that the translation of the following string is not used. I do not know why.

#: data/campaigns/The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/utils/trow-macros.cfg:19
msgid "You retrieve {AMOUNT} pieces of gold."

Bye
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I've enhanced the first 4 maps of TRoW to use the wider variety of alternate graphics now available. The actually tactical value of the maps have not been altered. The midlands is the best example, as i made it actually look ravaged (as far as current graphics allow.)

EDIT:

I went ahead and uploaded these and other aesthetically modified maps, since this campaign doens't seem to be currently maintained.
Attachments
TRoW-4maps.zip
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Clearwater port on Hard: Anyone beat all leaders?

Post by santi »

I'm replaying TROW on hard. I am at Clearwater port; holding is no problem, but I am trying to beat all leaders and this looks unlikely. They start with 290+290+360=940 gold and lots of villages
and I start with some 300 gold, plus the local garrison just takes walks to and from the pier. One shock trooper leveled to Iron Mauler is basically enough to hold the lighthouse entrance, and my main force can come close to the central commander, backed by 2 mages of light for healing, no casualties, but they never heal fast enough to support a decisive advance on that guy, who brings in huge reinforcements every turn.
I should probably go for the southern commander first and fight the central forces closer to my keep, but still this looks quite formidable
Anyone managed to beat all 3 leaders?
nightcrawler

Re: Clearwater port on Hard: Anyone beat all leaders?

Post by nightcrawler »

santi wrote:I'm replaying TROW on hard. I am at Clearwater port; holding is no problem, but I am trying to beat all leaders and this looks unlikely. They start with 290+290+360=940 gold and lots of villages
and I start with some 300 gold, plus the local garrison just takes walks to and from the pier. One shock trooper leveled to Iron Mauler is basically enough to hold the lighthouse entrance, and my main force can come close to the central commander, backed by 2 mages of light for healing, no casualties, but they never heal fast enough to support a decisive advance on that guy, who brings in huge reinforcements every turn.
I should probably go for the southern commander first and fight the central forces closer to my keep, but still this looks quite formidable
Anyone managed to beat all 3 leaders?
I have never done it on hard, but I'm thinking you will need more gold. 300 is just inside the comfortable level (for me at least) for beating all 3 leaders on Normal. I usually find myself spread too thinly if I split my force to attack the southern and middle leaders at the same time, and you really need plenty of units to rotate them out.
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

santi wrote:Anyone managed to beat all 3 leaders?
Yup, it is doable with 231 gold :wink: .

I basically did what you proposed, holding ground against the central orcs and sending a task force for killing the southern leader (at around turn 10). That task force was a white mage, three arch mages, burin, a shock trooper and a royal guard.
Another shock trooper and one HI were holding the northeast edge of the town. The rest was fighting the center orcs. I maybe made the task force a little too heavy, for i needed Haldric to recall another level 3 unit to survive the second night, where the center orcs started pushing real hard.

After killing the southern leader, it is just whacking your way to less and less orcs. I killed the central leader at around turn 24 and the last one on the very last turn.

I would post the replay, but it gives me corruption messages all the time (i really need to fix that :? ).
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

santi wrote:Anyone managed to beat all 3 leaders?
Yes, but I went North first, while letting my ally soak up the damage from the central orcs. For some reason AI wants to attack the weaker units, as opposed to my leveled ones. Then I healed, took out the central leader, and mopped up his troops, while beginning to engage south.

I'm not sure I could do that anymore. My skillz have declined do to lack of play...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Another question: has anyone managed to arrive in Wesnoth(A new Land) with over 100 gold on hard? I can make lots in the previous scenaria, but
Rough landing does an excellent job of wasting it with lots of very agressive, (suicidal) nagas +bats, which means moving slow and/or recruiting many units. Since villages are very few, no way to avoid losing gold.

If one arrives in Wesnoth with just 100 gold, it looks to me like
Cursed Isle as the first task is a must. Then one can take on the dragon
and then the beach and Troll hole. Or is there another way?
Jahya

Fallen Lich Point

Post by Jahya »

Problem: In Fallen Lich Point I am unable to attack the undead faction (southern one). They don't even move... at all.

I can't initiate combat with any of them.
Jahya

oops

Post by Jahya »

never... mind just figured it out. :P
santi
Lord of Wesmere

LOOT in the Vanguard: Intended or bug?

Post by santi »

In The Vanguard on hard, I have killed the northern orc leader(plus associated extra friends), and the Troll leader and am about to attack& finish off the western orc commander. Burin is one step away from the chest. So, if I kill the western orc commander now, I actually lose money: If I wait one round so that Burin first takes the chest and then I kill the orc commander, I gain +75 from the chest -30 for the late runs=45 gold, and obviously more on medium and easy since
the chest there has more gold. So this is an instance where the Wesnoth
guarantee that "it is always advantageous to win early" is not working.
Storywise it makes sense "if you killed everybody, what's to stop you from looting a chest full of gold". WMLwise, it should not be hard have a
victory action LOOT unless you have already looted. Maintenaires, Shade any opinions?

Needless to say, on hard an extra 45 gold for Return of the fleet is extremely important.

BTW, the scenaria after a New land are masterly designed by Shade:
You need(on hard at least) to find the right balance between winning late (thus hurting for gold in the next scenaria) and losing advanced level units,
which you also badly need.
So far I have opted for not losing advanced level units, losing only a royal guard in Troll hole and a Pikeman in The Dragon.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

santi wrote:Another question: has anyone managed to arrive in Wesnoth(A new Land) with over 100 gold on hard? I can make lots in the previous scenaria, but
Rough landing does an excellent job of wasting it with lots of very agressive, (suicidal) nagas +bats, which means moving slow and/or recruiting many units. Since villages are very few, no way to avoid losing gold.

If one arrives in Wesnoth with just 100 gold, it looks to me like
Cursed Isle as the first task is a must. Then one can take on the dragon
and then the beach and Troll hole. Or is there another way?
Yes, i got at "A new land" with 260 gold on hard. I took Cursed Isle first, then went on with The Beach and the Dragon. However i am having severe trouble with the Troll Hole. I start with something around 500 gold. I can win that scenario on like the last turn or the one before but then i get out with negative gold and i can't see a chance to win "The Vanguard" with 100 gold.

I use great mages to quickly kill the trolls and two white mages (Edmond and one more) to heal them. I tried to stay and defeat the first waves, but then those two leaders spin at least 4 trolls a turn. I also tried to wait for the first waves and then take Jessica and a mage to fight the spiders and get back those villages, but it takes too long.

Any ideas on that?
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!