Descent into Darkness

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

maudlin27

Post by maudlin27 »

Can't remember how much I started with then, but it was probably the minimum amount as well (was on Medium though); Think I just recalled my best units at that stage (couple of wraiths, a few shadows, some close to leveling ghosts), recruited a couple of dark adepts, and sent my entire army to the south, with the exception of 1 bat who i used to capture some villages, and delay the other forces for an extra turn or so.
I quickly overpowered the orcish leader to the south, just in time to split my army in two, with half of them then turning and holding off the other orc's forces, while the other half headed for the SW leader (most of his troops had gone north and then around the river, or through the swamps, so weren't much of a threat). With him killed I then planned to send that force to the NW leader to take him out, with my other force taking on the orcish armies in the swamp.
Btw is this campaign still being worked on? It'd be a great shame for it to rest at the moment, as with just a few bug fixes+dialog changes IMO it'd be far superior to some of the mods that currently come with v1.2; As it is it's still a very fun campaign, but lacks just that little bit of polish in some of the areas already mentioned.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

I sure needs a few dialogue changes, perhaps an easter egg or two, and more interesting terrain for a few maps. But I sure do like it. It's worth working on.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I'm also stuck at Orc War on easy with 350 starting gold. But it could be just me being rather unexperienced in playing against the AI. I'll probably cheat through that scenario.

Otherwise great campaign so far! :)

I will post more detailed feedback when I have finished playing it.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Baufo wrote:I'm also stuck at Orc War on easy with 350 starting gold. But it could be just me being rather unexperienced in playing against the AI. I'll probably cheat through that scenario.

Otherwise great campaign so far! :)

I will post more detailed feedback when I have finished playing it.
Yeah, Great Campaign. Keep it up.

About Orc War, I was able to beat it with 250 gold on medium, after about four tries... It is probobally my favorite scenario of this whole campaign. Here is how I beat it, first of all, I sent about 3 ghosts/wraths/shadows into the swamp directally accoss the river. Knowing the nature of the ai, these will serve to pretty much distract green, and you can lure unit after unit into the swamp and chop it to pieces, leveling your ghosts. With the rest of your units, you have to rush the orc to the northwest. Don't go suicidel but defeat him as quickly as you can because you will soon have to turn to face purpple who will be comming up from behind steeling your villages all the way. Once you have offed the northwest leader set up camp in his keep, and turn and push purpple back. Green I found was rendered pretty much useless, as he kept trying to foccus on my ghosts who were wreking havoc in the swamp. He sent a few units up north, but not much to speek of. Anyhow, once you get things stabalised in the north, the rest is pretty much straitforeward - march down and pop them off, but watch the timer...
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
AzureDrag0n1

Post by AzureDrag0n1 »

I am having a problem in Alone at Last. The book never seems to drop. I restarted the scenario a few times and even killed everything but the book never drops. He has a book icon and everything too. Maybe its a terrain issue. Can a book even drop on things like villages and mountains? IS there a cheat to instantly beat the scenario? I can't progress due to this bug.

I have the newest version of Wesnoth as well.

ALso inside the mansion in A Small Favor Volk never seems to move. His army moved 1 or two times and then sat in place while I had to do the scenario all alone. He only started moving when I killed the enemy mage for the book.

Also a lot of the enemy leaders are really suicidal. THey will rush inside the core of my army to try and finish off a unit in which case I will slaughter their leader. THey will even ignore any terrain disadvantage because they will be so desperate to try and kill that unit even if they are only at half health. I killed the Mage of Light and the Paladin due to their stupidity in Alone at Last this way. Mage of Light came at me all by himself with 0 friendly units nearby. Complete suicide.
truffant

Post by truffant »

I just finished the campaign on medium difficulty. I liked it a lot, thanks for the work.

Minor question: Why don't the two spearman and one archer of the first scenario reappear in the recall list?

And throughout the whole campaign i tried not to maim, kill or oppose the townsfolk :-) Part of me hoped to reconciliate with them and to join sides. Alas, the protagonists path leads into darkness.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Playing on 1.2.1, I noticed that the "Grow" ability seems not to be working. When my Ghast kills something, its HP cap doesn't get raised.

I haven't completed the campaign yet, but it seems quite good so far. Hope you're still updating it and can fix the ability.
truffant

Post by truffant »

I don't know if it helps, but for me it worked as when my ghast killed someone an option window popped up asking me whether i wanted the max hitpoints of my ghast raised or 10 of his Hitpoints healed. I am playing on 1.2.1.

truffant
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Yeah, that's an AMLA option when he would level up, but the description of the ability seems to indicate that he's supposed to get +1 max HP every time he kills, not just on AMLA... or are you getting the message box on every kill? I only got it after several.
truffant

Post by truffant »

I replayed the scenario "Neverending Story" where i at last had a ghast for myself. The option for +3 max life and +25% XP showed up as an AMLA. So it didn't depend on the ghast killing someone, but on reaching his AMLA-XP points.

His hitpoints didn't change through him killing other opponents. I didn't recall correctly, now i did look at it again and my findings support your point.

truffant

(how powerful would a well-fed ghast get?)
Termina

Post by Termina »

Hey, I have some issues with this campaign.

I'm playing easy, and the current level is "Beginning of Revenge"

Besides the fact that the enemy has so many units that it takes a good 2 minutes for their turn (and the only resources I have are what is left over from last level... a level designed to drain your gold) this level is far too difficult.

The enemy's resources, villages, and the level-2 units make this level horribly unbalanced.

Will this ever be fixed? At this point I'm tempted to ditch this campaign because this level is unplayable and move on, although I'd really like to finish it.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Please note that I have somewhat taken care of this since esci seems not to be maintaining it actively anymore. A converted version can be found on the 1.3 add-on server.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Darn Penguin

Post by Darn Penguin »

Heh, I was just flipping through this to see if it was 1.3 compatible yet. Guess that answers that question!
Termina wrote:Besides the fact that the enemy has so many units that it takes a good 2 minutes for their turn (and the only resources I have are what is left over from last level... a level designed to drain your gold) this level is far too difficult.
If you don't like long swarming levels, never play Northern Rebirth. Ever.
Out with the old, in with the new.
Hi folks! Remember me? Please say no.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Alright, after playing through the later scenarios (yeah, I "released" the converted version after only trying out the first few and then decided that everything was going fine) I noticed that there are were some heavy problems with terrain WML. Well, I have fixed those issues now, but if you have already downloaded the 1.3 version I heavily recommend to update to the latest version (or you will get stuck at some point).

Furthermore it would be really nice if a skilled artist could have a glance at the image folder of this campaign. From my personal view the main character is a pretty good frankensteined unit but I really have not the qualification to judge that.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

EDIT: I downloaded it from the add-on server today, played on the trunk freshly complied today.

•Contrary to the victory condition of "capture all villages," In "Peaceful Valley" i won, without ever having captured the village in the upper left.

• In scenario 4 the broken ice is weirdly replaced with terrain "s"— one that doesn't exist.

The biggest problem with the protagonist's sprite is it was frankenstined mostly from outdated sprites.

The rat and door could use a lot of help. I haven't come to them in the game yet, but in trunk there are some iron gate graphics which might server your purpose. I think neo did some rodent sprites.

There's a better Troll shaman included with UtBS.

Malin's portrait: It would be great if someone would do a few variations of the portrait to capture his changing attitude as the story progresses.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity