How do humans sound to saurians?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Simons Mith

How do humans sound to saurians?

Post by Simons Mith »

I've been looking at the saurian dialog in Fate of a Princess, and of course it's very hissy.
But as a side project pipedream, I started wondering about a campaign
from the saurians' viewpoint. Naturally they'd talk properly amongst themselves, so
how would you transcribe, say, human or elvish dialogue from the saurian perspective?

This is the kind of random thought that tends to strike me in the middle of the night...

MathBrush

Re: How do humans sound to saurians?

Post by MathBrush »

Compared to Saurians, we'd have huge cheeks and tiny tongues, so try talking with your cheeks puffed out and your tongue pulled back.

I hear a lot of 'm's, 'b's, and 'r's. Something like 'Hebbo, mat is bour name?'
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

So, a little bit like Marlon Brando then? He famously put cotton wool in his mouth for The Godfather
Hm. :-)

shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I would assume they would be "optimised" to their own voice range, so perhaps humans sound
in a more deeper tone they can not easily hear (if we assume their hissy noises is in a higher
pitch; in reallife we can not hear tons of sound, e. g. whale and other frequencies unless
we use technique to overcome our bodily shortcomings).

If you mean in regards to writing as a campaign "from the other side" then perhaps you can
be lazy and just write text explaining how some of the words you can not hear, so perhaps
the dialogues have to be repeated or the words that the saurians can not hear.

By the way, how Marlon created the character was hilarious - listen to an interview of Francis Coppola
about that time when they went to his house.