Poll: do drakes eat humans?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

do drakes eat humans?

drakes never eat human meat
16%
drakes eat human meat only if there is no other food
22%
drakes occasionally eat human meat, but prefer animal meat
22%
drakes treat human and animal meat the same way
38%
drakes like human meat more than animal meat
2%

Total votes: 58

PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: Poll: do drakes eat humans?

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Xalzar wrote: June 2nd, 2019, 9:49 am
Maybe there is even a rule which encourages it ("respect your opponent by eating him"? or "absorb the might of the enemies"? or "do not leave dead bodies on the battlefield at the mercy of necromancers"? or "don't waste food"?)!
Totally possible and it makes sense given the definition of lawful. :lol:
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

Quick Question. If a dwarf eats a human is it considered cannibalism? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Your mileage may vary, but in my estimation, yes, it does. You could probably make an argument either way, depending on how close you want to argue humans and dwarves are; my view is that they're similar enough to be either the same species or closely related species (like lions and tigers, for example). Ditto for elves and humans and even for orcs and humans (though in the case of Wesnoth orcs specifically that argument doesn't hold up quite so well).
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

I imagine that drakes treat human meat like the meat of any other animal (and that the same goes for orc, elf, dwarf, merfolk, and naga meat). I don't know what the policy is on saurian meat, but I'd guess that enemy saurians are considered edible. I imagine that eating other drakes is taboo, although I suspect that the rare drake that begins making the metamorphosis into a dragon ceases to respect this taboo, and starts eating just about anything with meat on it (I'm thinking of how certain species native to very low carrying capacity environments practice the cannibalization of young). I also imagine that hungry drakes will consume the bones of skeletal undead, with only ghouls and zombies being off the table (unless one is in the grips of desperate starvation and willing to risk food poisoning).

However, I imagine that drakes avoid attacking humans for the purpose of eating them because humans tend to be armed, and to have relatives, friends, and societies willing to take revenge. Same goes for the other intelligent, social species.
sergey

Post by sergey »

The first official Drake campaign "Wings of Victory" was added to Wesnoth 1.15 !

Forum topic viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49140
Github PR #3977

Summary. Drakes hunt humans in Morogor at the start, because there, they are apex predators and nothing poses a real challenge to them. This changes as their tribe journeys from Morogor to the Great Continent.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

CalculusKing wrote: June 11th, 2019, 6:12 amI suspect that the rare drake that begins making the metamorphosis into a dragon
I doubt this actually happens... I mean sure it's not totally out of the realm of possibility, but drakes and dragons are so vastly different that it makes more sense to think of them as two unrelated species.
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: June 12th, 2019, 2:41 am
CalculusKing wrote: June 11th, 2019, 6:12 amI suspect that the rare drake that begins making the metamorphosis into a dragon
I doubt this actually happens... I mean sure it's not totally out of the realm of possibility, but drakes and dragons are so vastly different that it makes more sense to think of them as two unrelated species.
Read the drake entry by ESR in SecretLore. https://wiki.wesnoth.org/SecretLore
Isn't the SecretLore page still considered canon?
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

CalculusKing wrote: June 12th, 2019, 5:10 am Read the drake entry by ESR in SecretLore. https://wiki.wesnoth.org/SecretLore
Isn't the SecretLore page still considered canon?
I would like to hear confirmation about its canonicity too. I'm genuinely curious. ^_^
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I would generally assume that anything not explicitly mentioned or hinted at in a campaign would not be canon (so the bit about drakes would be non-canon, but most everything else on that page would be canon, as it is sourced to specific campaigns).

But I also wouldn't call myself an authority on what is and is not canon.
DEAD-HEAD

Post by DEAD-HEAD »

Are there any Drake Campaigns explaining their biology?
gamer&memer
AOW

Post by AOW »

From the concept of paleontological evolution in the real world, dinosaur is totally different from mammals. In fact, dinosaur hunts mammals. When we define with this premise, drakes eat humans seems to be just a normal thing. :eng:

Of course, humans are armed and resistant, so they are unlikely to be selected as the best food by drakes.

But eat? Yes.

Maybe we can introduce the traditional cultural concept of Polynesians, that is, devouring the heart of noble losers can gain their strength.(Including the same kind!)