Are Dunefolk human?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TeaIntoxicated

Re: Are Dunefolk human?

Post by TeaIntoxicated »

Imperios wrote: December 27th, 2018, 7:55 pm Their vulnerabilities do not help either. Why are they all vulnerable to crushing damage?
I bet they use different kind of armour that doesn't absorb blunt strikes as well or is more brittle. Auxiliary infantry (ex. thieves, fencers) is even more vulnerable to impact, as they have no armour at all, but that doesn't make them different species.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Yes Dunefolk are Humans, just whit a completely different cultural background, that means that they developed different kind of armours to fit the climate and theyr way of combat, that in turn have different rsistances (there is even a bit of historical accuracy thrown in this) even Loyalists resistances change based on the kind of unit and armour type worn.
And it would be more correct to refer to them as a faction, I think.
For example Loyalist include Mermans in the same group.
Also a small curiousity is that, Dunefolk is the only faction that doesn't include other *"sentient" species , beside humans.
*(whith non-sentient I am refering to animals, like horses, griffins, bats and so on).
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

Yomar wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:16 pm Also a small curiousity is that, Dunefolk is the only faction that doesn't include other *"sentient" species , beside humans.
*(whith non-sentient I am refering to animals, like horses, griffins, bats and so on).
Forgot the Naga? :whistle:
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Imperios wrote: December 27th, 2018, 7:55 pm Their vulnerabilities do not help either. Why are they all vulnerable to crushing damage?
Probably because the unit resistances are a matter of game balancing rather than a matter of realism.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Also a small curiousity is that, Dunefolk is the only faction that doesn't include other *"sentient" species , beside humans.

Xalzar wrote:
Forgot the Naga? :whistle:
Naga? When was Naga added? :shock:

I tought that the Naga was part of the Northerns faction.
Last time I played with Dunefolk (BFW 1.14 stable) I'm not remembering beign able to recruit Nagas, and its also not stated in the online Wesnoth unit list for Dunefolk. :hmm:

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:
Probably because the unit resistances are a matter of game balancing rather than a matter of realism
I don't added that, because I tought that this was quute obvious, but maybe not for new players.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Yomar wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 11:36 am Naga? When was Naga added? :shock:

I tought that the Naga was part of the Northerns faction.
Last time I played with Dunefolk (BFW 1.14 stable) I'm not remembering beign able to recruit Nagas, and its also not stated in the online Wesnoth unit list for Dunefolk. :hmm:
A new unit line was added in 1.15 as a part of a larger overhaul: https://units.wesnoth.org/1.15/mainline ... l#Dunefolk. Naga Fighter is still in the Northerners faction.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

A new unit line was added in 1.15 as a part of a larger overhaul: https://units.wesnoth.org/1.15/mainline ... l#Dunefolk. Naga Fighter is still in the Northerners faction
Yeah, that was my guess, since I tried out that version, in fact my comment about non-humans
in Dunefolk was refering to BFW up to v 1.14 the one wich most ppl are familiar with, considering that its the last stable and most played online.
I know that Naga fighter is still in the Northerners faction, I meant that Its ONLY, in this faction in Wesnoth 1.14 at least.
Idk to wich version of Dunefolk the first post was refering to, but my supposition was that he was refering to the pre 1.15 version of the game, and indeed, the posting date confirms my supposition.
Anyway thx for the clarification.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
mcbanhas

Post by mcbanhas »

I'm aware this thread is a bit old, but I think I have a solution for this issue. As I am currently translating the game to my language I find that the fact non-Dunefolk humans are still treated as the "vanilla" race, as far as naming conventions go, is a bit jarring and no longer keeping with modern gaming standards.

Fortunately this has a very simple fix: what if we added a prefix/suffix to the "human" category the same way we did with Dunefolk Humans? These would put them on an equal standing, that is, both are humans, but they simply have a different foundational culture, which is clearly identified. This allows us to keep both categories and do away with any problematic naming conflicts.

I have two naming proposals: Middlefolk or simply Middellers. This is both a reference to Tolkien's Middle Earth and a nudge towards the European Medieval civilization, culture and folklore which inspired it.