Indifference

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

eurydike

Indifference

Post by eurydike »

Indifference, that is the cardinal sin of the vampirekind. With the passing times most lose their interest.. in everything. At first, there's all this ordeal about coping with a newly born existence, acquiring sustenance, avoiding the sun, hurrying and rushing from one thing to the next, fear, lust - some become drunk from power, wealth, always wanting more and more and MORE and more.. until they realize it is all for nothing. Earthly posessions lose their allure. After a short period of time - relatively, that is - they withdraw to some dusty corner of the world.. And sleep. In the basement of their vacated castles, a homely mausoleum, perhaps. With the times, feeding becomes unnecessary, less and less frequent, a burden avoided. Bored, they look at the world, generations pass, kingdoms rise and crumble.. Until one day, some passer by captures their interest, like magic, perhaps they carry some resemblance to some old - and forgotten - love from the earlier life, a mistress, husband, or a sibling - whatever it is, a flicker of life pulses through that heart that beats no more. They become obsessed. Too afraid to act, barely remembering anything from their past human lives - which in terms of customs is most likely obsolete anyway - not knowing how to act, yet yearning to feel once more, they follow the person everywhere, using the gifts to hide, watching from the shadows, incessantly longing for that flicker of life to come back.. But time is ruthless, and human lives are short. Eventually that somebody will grow old and pass away. Here there are two typical outcomes, they're devastated, and succumb to apathy thicker than the river Lethe... The other option, is to use the gift, and turn the human. Save them, even if they had sworn never to curse another with this unholy existence.. That is, how a human becomes one of the vampirekind.

Thinking about making a vampire faction and ended up writing something. :D
Heindal

Re: Indifference

Post by Heindal »

There is already a vampire faction as part of the "era of myth". They are also available in the Ageless Era, a mix of different eras, factions and a great collection of all awesome ideas.

Era of Myth: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10231
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

Heindal wrote: October 7th, 2018, 6:27 pm There is already a vampire faction as part of the "era of myth". They are also available in the Ageless Era, a mix of different eras, factions and a great collection of all awesome ideas.

Era of Myth: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10231
And it's quite a nice faction too.. And there can be two. ^_^
ghype

Post by ghype »

when creating factions, much more important then the sprites and background/lore of that faction, i find the faction design. I finished coding an era wiht 4 factions and remarked that, even though my art was really good, i was not satisfied with my faction designs regarding two of them.

the EoM Vympires imo have an veryunique faction design. they use a combinaiont of backstab and drain/plague to convert enemy units into vampire fledglings. that meaks weak in smaller maps where is no space to backstab, but incredebly strong in open fields or bigger maps.

hence I suggest you, If you really want to release your units, to also keep the faction design in mind, because you might end up having to do new sprites, edit older ones or not using some at all if you dont think your faction design through, knowing what kind of unit you really gonna need.

maybe you find some new interesting faction design idea for your vampires, which is different to the EoM but as much as entertainign.