Some of my (back)story ideas

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderators: Developers, Forum Moderators

Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby ForestDragon » November 18th, 2016, 10:14 pm

hello everyone! i had quite a few story/backstory ideas in mind, so i decided to share some with you:

Note: i am not an expert at making elegant sounding texts, so consider this as sketches, and feel free to add any of your suggestions on the matter

my idea on how dragons appeared/how they breath fire, i had an idea about something like this:
Dragons originally were somewhat like dinosaurs, basically unintelligent (for humanoid standards) animals. Anatomically they were mostly the same. My idea is that at the early times the dragons like we see now were just these things that were possessed by strong fire spirits in order to survive. This symbiosis is what gave dragons their fire powers. At first, the fire spirits and their host were somewhat separated, meaning that the fire spirits could disconnect at any given time, but then they slowly became bound to eachother. Same applies to drakes.

also curious fact (idea of mine, so not canon): when raised as ghosts, drakes are basically like Fire Guardians

WIP, will post more, sorry, i have to go
User avatar
ForestDragon
 
Posts: 1065
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby The_Gnat » November 20th, 2016, 4:57 am

Sounds cool! :D I think you have the start of a campaign ;) I like the connection between drakes and fire spirits. The only problem is that a few of the drakes don't have fire breath. Wouldn't they be ousted from the clan because they are 'inferior' and don't have a fire spirit bound to them?

I look forward to hearing more! :D
User avatar
The_Gnat
 
Posts: 873
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby ForestDragon » November 20th, 2016, 10:46 am

The_Gnat wrote:Sounds cool! :D I think you have the start of a campaign ;)

I look forward to hearing more! :D

thanks :D
The_Gnat wrote:I like the connection between drakes and fire spirits. The only problem is that a few of the drakes don't have fire breath. Wouldn't they be ousted from the clan because they are 'inferior' and don't have a fire spirit bound to them?

if you mean the clashers, then well, even though they are unable to use fire breath (due to their armor) they still house a fire spirit in each of them. the fact that they don't breath fire is just their armor being too restraining to breath fire.

also, i came up with another related idea: the fire spirits make the air around their drake hosts both to keep them warm in cold environments, and to create warm air next to them, which is, as you probably should know, is lighter than cold air, making it slightly easier for drakes to fly


EDIT: btw, i read on the forums that some think wesnoth species can't interbreed with each other, i don't think they are that different, i believe it's kind of like the difference between Homo Sapiens and the Neanderthal Man. i mostly mean like the human/elf/dwarf/orc species, and i dout they could breed with trolls/mudcrawlers/woses/gryphons, ect. :lol:
User avatar
ForestDragon
 
Posts: 1065
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby The_Gnat » November 21st, 2016, 4:31 am

I like your thoughts! :D Yeah i agree that the clasher drakes would have fire-spirits also. About the interbreeding i think it is fairly likely that you would have half-elves (half human half elf) and half-dwarves and not as commonly half-orcs and maybe even elf-orcs and dwarf-goblins :mrgreen:

Maybe (depending on anatomy), orcs and goblins are different so they can't mate with other more human like species but certainly the human like species (elves,humans,dwarves) would occasionally mate. It is probably fairly shunned though for a elf to mate with a dwarf or human (depending on how arrogant they are :lol: )

Drakes, you say they were originally dinosaurs but what i am wondering is: is there any connection to dragons? (it seems like there would be since they are so similar, even in name) Maybe dragons are a different more recluse species of drakes that are larger and closer to their fire-spirits so they have more power. Or maybe they just have more powerful fire spirits... Speaking of drakes, Wesnoth needs some more 4th level drakes!

I like all your ideas!! 8) These could make a cool campaign (unfortunately i don't at all have time for that ;) )
User avatar
The_Gnat
 
Posts: 873
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby ForestDragon » November 21st, 2016, 7:54 am

The_Gnat wrote:I like your thoughts! :D

thanks :D btw, i like your responding-ness (slightly made-up word)
The_Gnat wrote:About the interbreeding i think it is fairly likely that you would have half-elves (half human half elf) and half-dwarves and not as commonly half-orcs and maybe even elf-orcs and dwarf-goblins :mrgreen:

indeed.
The_Gnat wrote:Maybe (depending on anatomy), orcs and goblins are different so they can't mate with other more human like species but certainly the human like species (elves,humans,dwarves) would occasionally mate. It is probably fairly shunned though for a elf to mate with a dwarf or human (depending on how arrogant they are :lol: )

i like your way of thinking :D
The_Gnat wrote:Drakes, you say they were originally dinosaurs but what i am wondering is: is there any connection to dragons? (it seems like there would be since they are so similar, even in name) Maybe dragons are a different more recluse species of drakes that are larger and closer to their fire-spirits so they have more power. Or maybe they just have more powerful fire spirits

well, in my opinion the dragon-drake relation is fairly similar to the orc-goblin relation, basically drakes are much smaller version of drakes, which are more used to walking on their back feet (like human-like races). about the fire spirit part, i guess drakes' size can nly hold 1 average fire spirit each. the dragons on the other hand have 1 large fire spirit (which is responsible for their mind) and lots of weak/average fire spirits, which mostly do "menial" tasks like keeping their host warm, to make sure that the fire spirit in-charge doesn't have to waste his power on that, and occasionally being released in situations like when the dragon is attacked to protect him, or just when he dies
The_Gnat wrote:Speaking of drakes, Wesnoth needs some more 4th level drakes!

Yes. btw, i used the FoaP (Fate of a Princess addon) Drake Lord as a lvl4 flameheart
The_Gnat wrote:I like all your ideas!! 8) These could make a cool campaign (unfortunately i don't at all have time for that ;) )

yeah, you are right, but i guess i'll wait a bit more

EDIT: also, i think that one of the differences between drakes and dragons is also their lifespan. Drakes live for roughly as long as human (i mean if they die from age, which is extremely rare, since most drakes die on the battlefield, and due to other factors.) bonus fact: a drake's lifespan increases as they become Fire Drakes or above (because their fire spirit becomes stronger).average dragons have a lifespan of around a 1000 years (if they are not killed by a handsome knight trying to save a some kind of damsel-in-distress :mrgreen: ) and some of the strongest ones reach around 10,000 years. they math is 'stronger fire spirit=longer lifespan of the drake/dragon'

EDIT2: btw, i stumbled upon this female dwarf portrait from WTactics (which is GPL, so the images can be used in UMC, and already are):
Spoiler:

fairly decent example of what a dwarvish female could look like. Well, they are far from being as beautiful as elvish maidens, but still, at least it's better than if they had beards (a few add-ons even depicted they as that :lol: ) like their male counterparts, they are slightly shorter and more robust than their human counterparts. I guess their social status is mostly staying in their homes and doing the housework, with only a few other jobs possible, like growing mushrooms or working in taverns, ect.

basically, while elves have strong gender equality (mostly), the dwarves are slightly the opposite on the matter.

EDIT3: back to drakes, i guess i have a campaign/scenario idea: a necromancer decides to study a living drake. He separates his soul and his body, and find out 2 interesting results: 1.the temporary ghostification of the drake's soul revealed that it oddly resembled a fire elemental, yet was also behaving like a soul 2. the soulless, yet living body still remained alive, but was acting almost like an animal, sometimes trying to talk (yet quite clumsily) it retained some of the speech due to the fact that the fire spirit controlled the drake's brain, and thus it subcontiously remembered some basic things.
User avatar
ForestDragon
 
Posts: 1065
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby Chewan » November 21st, 2016, 12:18 pm

female dwarf portrait

Whaa... I saw her! In Munich, in the Hofbräuhaus!
I'm telling you, I took her for a human, a classy, pretty (!) Bavarian in her dirndl dress ...
And now you're trying to make me believe... A female DWARF ?!?
C´mon, you are kidding, right? :hmm:
Chewan
 
Posts: 127
Joined: December 19th, 2013, 1:40 am

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby ForestDragon » November 21st, 2016, 12:38 pm

Chewan wrote:
female dwarf portrait

Whaa... I saw her! In Munich, in the Hofbräuhaus!
I'm telling you, I took her for a human, a classy, pretty (!) Bavarian in her dirndl dress ...
And now you're trying to make me believe... A female DWARF ?!?
C´mon, you are kidding, right? :hmm:

sorry, only usable example i got :whistle: :| :?

so, what exactly do you want? i can remove the image from the post if you want me to :| .
User avatar
ForestDragon
 
Posts: 1065
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby Chewan » November 21st, 2016, 3:43 pm

No! Why remove that nice image?
I was just expressing my astonishment as I can hardly imagine how to better illustrate a human alewife.
I guess I expected the difference to a dwarven woman to be more obvious. Not necessarily a beard (though facial hair growth occurs in human females too), but maybe a darker skin, a bulbous nose, clothing adapted to cave conditions...
Then again, in Wesnoth, one unit appears as rarely as the other – how would I know how dwarf ladies look like?
The ideas for your campaign are very interesting, a luscious dwarven girl is already one good reason to not pass up the chance to play it later. ;)
Chewan
 
Posts: 127
Joined: December 19th, 2013, 1:40 am

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby The_Gnat » November 21st, 2016, 11:22 pm

ForestDragon wrote:
The_Gnat wrote:Drakes, you say they were originally dinosaurs but what i am wondering is: is there any connection to dragons? (it seems like there would be since they are so similar, even in name) Maybe dragons are a different more recluse species of drakes that are larger and closer to their fire-spirits so they have more power. Or maybe they just have more powerful fire spirits

well, in my opinion the dragon-drake relation is fairly similar to the orc-goblin relation, basically drakes are much smaller version of drakes, which are more used to walking on their back feet (like human-like races). about the fire spirit part, i guess drakes' size can nly hold 1 average fire spirit each. the dragons on the other hand have 1 large fire spirit (which is responsible for their mind) and lots of weak/average fire spirits, which mostly do "menial" tasks like keeping their host warm, to make sure that the fire spirit in-charge doesn't have to waste his power on that, and occasionally being released in situations like when the dragon is attacked to protect him, or just when he dies

Good Idea! And powerful drakes like the Armageddon fire drake might have multiple spirits also, (maybe someone could make a AMLA for drakes that is 'additional fire spirit' and as they advance they fly better and can shoot more powerful fire and are stronger, and longer living)

And why do some fire spirits not go into drakes, they must have a choice so what is the benefit and disadvantages for them? And when drakes are born do they start off with a fire spirit from their mother? They must because otherwise they wouldn't be smart :P (speaking of mothers why do we never see female drakes? or do we and they just look the same as male drakes :P ) And if mothers give up fire spirits to have kids that means they either then die, or have to have multiple spirits.

Also do drakes care at all about their dinosaur counterparts that have no intellect?

But what about ice dragons? Do they have ice spirits? If they do then why are there so few ice spirits and why do we never see ice spirits alone and also wouldn't ice spirits hamper the flying abilities of ice dragons? (If they don't have ice spirits what do they have that makes them smart?)

Oh, i know :eng: : Ice dragons hold the dead revitalized fire spirits. Occasionally a fire spirit will die (from battle or other reasons), occasionally a sorcerer will rebirth that spirit as a undead spirit, like a ghost. But since these are weak spirits only just returned from the dead they search for creatures to enter to gain them strength. However just like skeletons aren't the same as the warriors that they once were, ice spirits don't have the fire they once did, instead they are outcasts cold and harsh. Evil and malicious these ice spirits mold there hosts into cruel and evil creatures! The undead nature of these spirits also makes their hosts outcasts from normal drake society. These undead spirits however are bound to their host because of their nature of being rebirthed, and so they can not exist without them --> and so that's why we never see ice spirits alone without hosts. (Ice spirits also being more evil and selfish, don't like possessing mere drakes and they insist on entering dragons and other large creatures)

ForestDragon wrote:EDIT: also, i think that one of the differences between drakes and dragons is also their lifespan. Drakes live for roughly as long as human (i mean if they die from age, which is extremely rare, since most drakes die on the battlefield, and due to other factors.) bonus fact: a drake's lifespan increases as they become Fire Drakes or above (because their fire spirit becomes stronger).average dragons have a lifespan of around a 1000 years (if they are not killed by a handsome knight trying to save a some kind of damsel-in-distress :mrgreen: ) and some of the strongest ones reach around 10,000 years. they math is 'stronger fire spirit=longer lifespan of the drake/dragon'


Yeah, and since they live so much longer they tend to be more recluse and act slower and laze around for days at a time (because they have no time pressure ;) ) and also are more arrogant because they are better - and so drakes don't like them that much.

ForestDragon wrote:EDIT2: btw, i stumbled upon this female dwarf portrait from WTactics (which is GPL, so the images can be used in UMC, and already are):
Spoiler:

fairly decent example of what a dwarvish female could look like. Well, they are far from being as beautiful as elvish maidens, but still, at least it's better than if they had beards (a few add-ons even depicted they as that :lol: ) like their male counterparts, they are slightly shorter and more robust than their human counterparts. I guess their social status is mostly staying in their homes and doing the housework, with only a few other jobs possible, like growing mushrooms or working in taverns, ect.

basically, while elves have strong gender equality (mostly), the dwarves are slightly the opposite on the matter.


Yeah i think that characterizes a dwavish women pretty well. Dwarvish men are just very (culturally) dominate so women don't do much (another campaign idea might be a dwarvish women who rebels from tradition and seeks adventure ^_^ )

ForestDragon wrote:EDIT3: back to drakes, i guess i have a campaign/scenario idea: a necromancer decides to study a living drake. He separates his soul and his body, and find out 2 interesting results: 1.the temporary ghostification of the drake's soul revealed that it oddly resembled a fire elemental, yet was also behaving like a soul 2. the soulless, yet living body still remained alive, but was acting almost like an animal, sometimes trying to talk (yet quite clumsily) it retained some of the speech due to the fact that the fire spirit controlled the drake's brain, and thus it subcontiously remembered some basic things.


Yeah! And maybe we could tie in some ice spirit stuff as well:

Maybe he then takes a dead drakes spirit and revitalizes it and puts it into the body of the old drake forming a ice drake!!! :D

I look forward to hear more ideas!!! 8) Sorry about posting so much (i get rather carried away :lol: )
User avatar
The_Gnat
 
Posts: 873
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby ForestDragon » November 22nd, 2016, 5:52 am

The_Gnat wrote:Good Idea! And powerful drakes like the Armageddon fire drake might have multiple spirits also, (maybe someone could make a AMLA for drakes that is 'additional fire spirit' and as they advance they fly better and can shoot more powerful fire and are stronger, and longer living)

yeah! :D
The_Gnat wrote:And why do some fire spirits not go into drakes, they must have a choice so what is the benefit and disadvantages for them? 1.And when drakes are born do they start off with a fire spirit from their mother? They must because otherwise they wouldn't be smart :P 2.(speaking of mothers why do we never see female drakes? or do we and they just look the same as male drakes :P ) 3.And if mothers give up fire spirits to have kids that means they either then die, or have to have multiple spirits.

about fire spirits; well you have probably noticed that drake-less fire spirits usually exist in places like caves. basically there are no drakes to possess down there

about drake mothers: 1. yes that's right 2. well, i saw a female drake in 'Aria of the Dragon Slayer' addon, it says there that female drakes are slightly larger than male ones 3. well, i think that a drake mother has one fairly large (for a drake) spirit which constantly turns some of it's small parts into new weak fire spirits, which are then insterted into the drake eggs.
The_Gnat wrote:Also do drakes care at all about their dinosaur counterparts that have no intellect?

well, no (because the fire spirits are real ones who do the thinking inside drakes) and also, most of the dinosaurs (expect the more intelligent drakes/dragon) have already died out by the time most of the action takes place
The_Gnat wrote:But what about ice dragons? Do they have ice spirits? If they do then why are there so few ice spirits and why do we never see ice spirits alone and also wouldn't ice spirits hamper the flying abilities of ice dragons? (If they don't have ice spirits what do they have that makes them smart?)

Oh, i know :eng: : Ice dragons hold the dead revitalized fire spirits. Occasionally a fire spirit will die (from battle or other reasons), occasionally a sorcerer will rebirth that spirit as a undead spirit, like a ghost. But since these are weak spirits only just returned from the dead they search for creatures to enter to gain them strength. However just like skeletons aren't the same as the warriors that they once were, ice spirits don't have the fire they once did, instead they are outcasts cold and harsh. Evil and malicious these ice spirits mold there hosts into cruel and evil creatures! The undead nature of these spirits also makes their hosts outcasts from normal drake society. These undead spirits however are bound to their host because of their nature of being rebirthed, and so they can not exist without them --> and so that's why we never see ice spirits alone without hosts. (Ice spirits also being more evil and selfish, don't like possessing mere drakes and they insist on entering dragons and other large creatures)

good idea :D i think ice spirits can be either undead fire spirits or natural ones (only found in extremely cold places like the Arctic, or Antarctica, making them extremely rare).
The_Gnat wrote:Yeah, and since they live so much longer they tend to be more recluse and act slower and laze around for days at a time (because they have no time pressure ;) ) and also are more arrogant because they are better - and so drakes don't like them that much.

yeah.
The_Gnat wrote:Yeah i think that characterizes a dwavish women pretty well. Dwarvish men are just very (culturally) dominate so women don't do much (another campaign idea might be a dwarvish women who rebels from tradition and seeks adventure ^_^ )

good idea :D see, we are slowly starting to create good campaign ideas!
The_Gnat wrote:Yeah! And maybe we could tie in some ice spirit stuff as well:

Maybe he then takes a dead drakes spirit and revitalizes it and puts it into the body of the old drake forming a ice drake!!! :D

I look forward to hear more ideas!!! 8) Sorry about posting so much (i get rather carried away :lol: )

i guess once extracted, the fire spirit will remain in it's form for a few minutes, and then die, making the necromancer have to revive it.
The_Gnat wrote:I look forward to hear more ideas!!! 8) Sorry about posting so much (i get rather carried away :lol: )

don't worry, that's actually very good
User avatar
ForestDragon
 
Posts: 1065
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby The_Gnat » November 22nd, 2016, 6:19 am

Interesting! :D Good ideas about the drakes and ice spirits! And yeah we definitely have the ideas for some good campaigns!

More campaign ideas:

-explorers/necromancer journey into the artic circle of wesnoth. Either on purpose,banishment, or exploration. They come upon the ice spirit. Frozen and static for a thousand years. They happen to accidently awaken it ^_^ And then either the campaign continues with them fleeing the spirit to warn civilisation or maybe it continues with the player as the ice spirit as he sets off first journey to find a host (dragon/drake) and then maybe to conquer wesnoth!!!

EDIT: ok heres another idea:
-drakes are going extinct because of a disease killing the males. A group of women drakes have to set off to find some of the dinosaur creatures they came from. Or maybe a fire dragon who lives far away and is ledgend to have the original fire spirit inside him!!

Here are just some ideas not necessarily good ideas so please comment!

Unfortunately i have to go... but i will post more ideas later! :D
User avatar
The_Gnat
 
Posts: 873
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby ForestDragon » November 23rd, 2016, 5:58 am

Sorry for not responding for long, here is the reply

The_Gnat wrote:Interesting! :D Good ideas about the drakes and ice spirits! And yeah we definitely have the ideas for some good campaigns!

yeah
The_Gnat wrote:-explorers/necromancer journey into the artic circle of wesnoth. Either on purpose,banishment, or exploration. They come upon the ice spirit. Frozen and static for a thousand years. They happen to accidently awaken it ^_^ And then either the campaign continues with them fleeing the spirit to warn civilisation or maybe it continues with the player as the ice spirit as he sets off first journey to find a host (dragon/drake) and then maybe to conquer wesnoth!!!

nice! i like the necromancer story variant a bit more. btw, the campaign would be probably about using the undead's resistance to cold to hinder the ice spirit(s)
The_Gnat wrote:EDIT: ok heres another idea:
-drakes are going extinct because of a disease killing the males. A group of women drakes have to set off to find some of the dinosaur creatures they came from. Or maybe a fire dragon who lives far away and is ledgend to have the original fire spirit inside him!!

well, not as good as the old one. besides there are too few females to even consider such a possibility, there is like one of them for each clan (a few more for bigger clans)
User avatar
ForestDragon
 
Posts: 1065
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby The_Gnat » November 23rd, 2016, 11:57 pm

Yeah i agree with both your ideas.

3rd Idea:
A volcano errupts in the edge of wesnoth. And out from inside it pour fire spirits who have been caged since the begging of time. Ferocious and laying waste to Wesnoth the people of Wesnoth band together to try to hold them off. Failing they turn to a dark sorcerer who has long studied Fire Spirits and whom they previously imprisoned in a deep dark dungeon. In exchange for his freedom the Sorcerer sets off (with a group of masters from each Wesnoth country) in a race against time to find the Golden Ice Dragon which is rumoured to live in the artic circle and hold the original Fire Spirit. Along the way you (the dark sorcerer) have the option of killing your escort and escaping for your life, or instead travelling to the artic in an effort to negotiate with an ice dragon to try to save wesnoth.

The choice is yours to make, you hold the future of wesnoth in your hands...

Comments are (still) welcome!
User avatar
The_Gnat
 
Posts: 873
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby ForestDragon » November 24th, 2016, 6:12 am

The_Gnat wrote:Yeah i agree with both your ideas.

3rd Idea:
A volcano errupts in the edge of wesnoth. And out from inside it pour fire spirits who have been caged since the begging of time. Ferocious and laying waste to Wesnoth the people of Wesnoth band together to try to hold them off. Failing they turn to a dark sorcerer who has long studied Fire Spirits and whom they previously imprisoned in a deep dark dungeon. In exchange for his freedom the Sorcerer sets off (with a group of masters from each Wesnoth country) in a race against time to find the Golden Ice Dragon which is rumoured to live in the artic circle and hold the original Fire Spirit. Along the way you (the dark sorcerer) have the option of killing your escort and escaping for your life, or instead travelling to the artic in an effort to negotiate with an ice dragon to try to save wesnoth.

The choice is yours to make, you hold the future of wesnoth in your hands...

Comments are (still) welcome!

good idea, but there is one tiny proboblem:
Spoiler:
User avatar
ForestDragon
 
Posts: 1065
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Postby The_Gnat » November 24th, 2016, 6:40 am

ForestDragon wrote:good idea, but there is one tiny proboblem:
Spoiler:


:lol: Well i thought we had previously discussed that an ice spirit could be the dead version of a fire spirit ;) But i agree:

Instead they search the artic circle for a map that the dark sorcerer hid their long ago before he was captured. This map leads to either ->

A. A potion/weapon that can destroy all the fire spirits

B. The ancient fire dragon who has the original fire spirit and has been asleep for a thousand years

C. A magic spell the dark sorcerer wants to create to make himself super-powerful ;)


(i am full of story ideas that i will never have time to create :mrgreen: )
User avatar
The_Gnat
 
Posts: 873
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am

Next

Return to Writers’ Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest