My lore thread

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

powershot

Re: My lore thread

Post by powershot »

Um... then why do saurians capture drakes? And if they worship dragons, why don't they have dragon riders?
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
PandaClaws

Post by PandaClaws »

Is the capturing fact mainline? If so in what campain?

Also, a dragon would never let itself be ridden, and I thought I remembered a scenario from "The Rise Of Wesnoth" in which the dragon has an army of saurians.
Very well sir. Bring on your storm.
- A guard dismissing the Snow Prince

Read about the snow prince here
For when a king cries, he cries tears of iron.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Dead water, the saurians HAD captured a drake burner.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
PandaClaws

Post by PandaClaws »

That hardly explains why they are in the same faction, I'll change that to an islolated case of Saurians finding out that drakes pretending to be dragons are often killed when they turn out to be drakes.

Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Yet in most cases (and I stress the word most) they do fight together and are allies.
powershot

Post by powershot »

PandaClaws wrote:That hardly explains why they are in the same faction, I'll change that to an islolated case of Saurians finding out that drakes pretending to be dragons are often killed when they turn out to be drakes.
You said the saurians aren't dumb. :?
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
PandaClaws

Post by PandaClaws »

In that case I find my current explanation reasonably satisfying. Considering that (please correct me if I am wrong) the only appearances of saurians in mainline portrays them as servants of a fire dragon in "The Rise of Wesnoth" and as pretty generic lizardman tribe in "Dead Water".
powershot wrote:You said the saurians aren't dumb. :?
P.S. : Yes powershot I did say that but keep in mind that nearly no-one has ever seen a dragon. I wouldn't call the Aztecs dumb and yet when Cortés arrived they assumed he was a god.

Anyway here is the updated description:

Saurians

These reptilian inhabitants of the swamps have organized themselves in a primitive tribal society. Underestimation has caused many a death however as these lizards are certainly not dumb. Expeditions have shown that Saurians will either make themselves crude homes to live in or live in large ruins of older civilizations instead. Here they will be led by their chieftain, usually the most physically imposing saurian who wears the best armor and weapons avaible. Saurians worship dragons which Is why it is not uncommon for a dragon to have a small army of saurians at its disposal. It is because of the resemblance between the dragons and the drakes that saurians will often find themselves allying with the dragons' ancestors. Sometimes exceedingly powerful drakes have even managed to trick some saurians into worshipping them. Saurians however are far from dumb and are likely to expose the drakes as frauds and capture them. Hereby declining them a painless death...

In battle saurians are known for their nimbleness and agility. They will eagerly use flanking manouvres and are skilled ambushers. Saurians have also mastered some form of magic and while this is often assumed to be some kind of black magic it should be noted that some saurians also possess healing magic.

powershot

Post by powershot »

Might capture, not likely capture.Image
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
PandaClaws

Post by PandaClaws »

powershot wrote:Might capture, not likely capture.Image
I am no longer talking about your captured drake in "Dead Water" that was captured for whatever reason.
I am talking about drakes that pretend to be dragons and get exposed. They will get captured. Otherwise it is indeed not likely that they will capture a drake.

Also note how I stated that only the mightiest of drakes can pretend to be dragons. I am talking about drakes like the Armageddon Drake or Inferno Drake because their description states that they are almost indistinguishable from actual dragons.

powershot

Post by powershot »

Well, I think most drakes that ally with saurians are pretending anything. :|
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
PandaClaws

Post by PandaClaws »

powershot wrote:Well, I think most drakes that ally with saurians are pretending anything. :|
I believe that Saurians would in most cases gladly ally with a race that resembles their Gods. Drakes however may or may not knowingly use this to their advantage. But my choice of words is indeed unfortunate it seemed to suggest that Saurians are a very advanced and intelligent race while I just meant to say that they certainly are not dumb or only able to communicate with a few words and grunts.

Moved everything back into first post again to make it more organized.
Any criticism is welome especially concerning my writing style.

EDIT: Thanks for the advice
Last edited by PandaClaws on August 19th, 2011, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PandaClaws

Post by PandaClaws »

Moved everything back into first post again to make it more organized.
Any criticism is welome especially concerning my writing style.

Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Word of advice: Don't double post. Edit the post you last wrote if nobody responded to it already.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Wow! Double post in six minutes. Man! Gambit got me for an hour.

On topic: I think Saurians sometimes ally with drakes just for the ally.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

You know what?
Humans capture humans. THAT'S shocking. :augh:
Wesnoth tries to avert one of the bad fantasy clichés, where every race other than humanity is flat, bland, and behaves always the same way. No, dwarves fight with dwarves, elves are not always allied with other elves, not every lich is evil, and alliances are dictated by politics and balance of power rather than some "racial friendship".
So, MOST drakes and MOST saurians like themselves MORE than they like scale-less squishy humanoids. So elves and humans prefer themselves from orcs, but this is not stopping all of them from infighting.
And if we're talking dragons, I thought that drakes are dragons, and (extremely rare) Armageddon drakes are able to nearly achieve power of adult dragons without transformation into full form.
Why they are not riding (or ruled by) dragons? There is no dragons anymore. Drakes replaced them, since tribes of smaller humanoid-like winged predators (adolescent form of Fire Dragons) are more likely to survive. This world needs no giant beasts, this worlds needs armies.
And where did you took idea of saurians worshipping dragons, and drakes presenting themselves as gods? This is God Gambit, and it usually suggests primitive natives, no matter how you use it. Also, current description of saurians mentions that they are "not dumb" twice, and takes this whole "dragon worshipping-drake impersonating dragons-capturing drakes" out of thin air.
There is no need to take make facts up, since they have quite thorough description on wiki.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/