Planning a Khalifate campaign

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Captain_Wrathbow

Planning a Khalifate campaign

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Y'know those threads that pop up where someone says "I have an idea for a campaign, can someone do the coding for me?" Well, this thread is basically one of those, but reversed. I'm currently one of four users working on the Wesnoth Forum Era, but since it's summer now, I'm finding that I have a lot of time on my hands and I'd like to start another project.
I am a capable WML coder, however I'm awful at plot design, writing dialogue, etc. So I'm interested in partnering with a writer who has a good idea for a campaign. Let this thread not be mistaken as "Tell me your dumb campaign idea and I'll make it for you and do all the coding!" I'm looking for someone with a really good idea that's worth my time and effort. And I'm not just looking for idea donations; I would like to have someone who's willing to be the writer for all the dialog, story sections, and all plot-related stuff.

And I'll do all the coding.

So, in the past, the Wesnoth community has never been short on ideas... I hope there are some good ones out there now.

And I'm sure that the Wesnoth community is mature enough that I don't need to say this, but I'll say it anyway, just as a disclaimer: please don't be offended if I don't pick your idea...

EDIT1: Changed topic name.
EDIT2: Same.
EDIT3: Again.
Last edited by Captain_Wrathbow on June 24th, 2011, 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
boru

Re: Looking for a writer to partner with in creating a campa

Post by boru »

For awhile now I've been kicking around the idea of the Lich-Lords, and the war they lost before they sailed for the Green Isle. It must have been a pretty big war.

Here's my idea - the Lich-Lords have convinced the saurians that the merfolk and human races ought to be wiped out and so a long war has been going on for many decades. The undead of course benefit from any war by selecting the best casualties to join their ranks. An old troll named Um Brok discovers the truth and he tries to convince his tribe that they must rise up against the undead before they become too powerful. He also manages to convince some dwarves of the problem. Eventually there is an all out war against the Lich-Lords to drive them off the Old Continent.

It would be an epic, but it can be a short epic since you'll want to be done before you head back to school. :)
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Captain_Wrathbow

Hmm... intriguing. So you would be playing as dwarves and trolls allied together against the liches? Quite an interesting protagonist combination.

I'll keep that one in mind, but I'd like to wait a little longer and see if any other good ideas pop up before I decide. :)
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

boru wrote:For awhile now I've been kicking around the idea of the Lich-Lords, and the war they lost before they sailed for the Green Isle. It must have been a pretty big war.

Here's my idea - the Lich-Lords have convinced the saurians that the merfolk and human races ought to be wiped out and so a long war has been going on for many decades. The undead of course benefit from any war by selecting the best casualties to join their ranks. An old troll named Um Brok discovers the truth and he tries to convince his tribe that they must rise up against the undead before they become too powerful. He also manages to convince some dwarves of the problem. Eventually there is an all out war against the Lich-Lords to drive them off the Old Continent.

It would be an epic, but it can be a short epic since you'll want to be done before you head back to school. :)
I think on the old continent they had not much dwarves, trolls and saurians.
(The home land of the lich lords seem to have orcs, though - at least some hundred years after they came from there. They seem to be on friendly terms with the lich lords, but this could have changed between your campaign and later.)
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

You might be interested in the campaign Fire-Forged Friends. Only one scenario was ever coded, though there's a whole lot more written. Read through the topic to see what I mean.

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

I like the idea of dwarves and trolls fighting along side one another, but doesn't it say somewhere that the first trolls the orcs met were on the great continent? maybe saurians and dwarves? naga and mermen? just a suggestion...
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

I am not sure that somebody has already started or not, but how about creating a Khalifate campaign?
According to TSI, it originally lives far from Wesnoth, so a story that a number of Khalifate moves to Wesnoth will be an effective campaign.
My imagination of a basic story in general is: - an encounter/happening -- a small climax -- a big climax -- a happy ending. So I guess that creating a storyline about it is not too difficult.

P.S. the posters on this thread are actually creators... interesting. :)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Captain_Wrathbow

@SkyOne:
Ooohh, that's interesting. I don't know of any other Khalifate campaigns, so it's probably an area pretty open to ideas and new stuff.
The thing is... when did Khalifate first appear in Wesnoth, and how do they tie in to the rest of Wesnoth's lore? I'd have to research that a bit, to make sure a campaign about Khalifate is compatible with mainline canon.

Wow, I'm getting a lot of good ideas. It's going to be difficult to choose one. :o

EDIT:

So... I'm seriously considering making a Khalifate campaign now. :hmm:

If I were to do so... are there any writers who would be interested in collaborating on it with me?
I'm not sure if I want to take on that kind of project alone, equipped with only my own meager writing skills.

I would do all the coding, you (the writer) would control all plot, story, and dialog. (And anything else that's translatable. :P ) Any volunteers? :D
powershot

Post by powershot »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:@SkyOne:
Ooohh, that's interesting. I don't know of any other Khalifate campaigns, so it's probably an area pretty open to ideas and new stuff.
The thing is... when did Khalifate first appear in Wesnoth, and how do they tie in to the rest of Wesnoth's lore? I'd have to research that a bit, to make sure a campaign about Khalifate is compatible with mainline canon.

Wow, I'm getting a lot of good ideas. It's going to be difficult to choose one. :o

EDIT:

So... I'm seriously considering making a Khalifate campaign now. :hmm:

If I were to do so... are there any writers who would be interested in collaborating on it with me?
I'm not sure if I want to take on that kind of project alone, equipped with only my own meager writing skills.

I would do all the coding, you (the writer) would control all plot, story, and dialog. (And anything else that's translatable. :P ) Any volunteers? :D
Ok, I have been waiting for a campaign like this for a while now. :D Maybe I could help some but there would have to be another person writing the story. I can only "help" make the story.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Captain_Wrathbow

powershot wrote:Maybe I could help some but there would have to be another person writing the story. I can only "help" make the story.
What do you mean by that?
My best guess at interpreting what you said is that you'd like to toss around some story ideas without actually making a commitment to being the writer for the campaign.
Correct me if I am mistaken.

If you don't want to actually be the writer, then you probably aren't the kind of person I'm looking for. However, you're certainly welcome to suggest any plot/story ideas that you have, since I don't have any yet.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
powershot wrote:Maybe I could help some but there would have to be another person writing the story. I can only "help" make the story.
What do you mean by that?
My best guess at interpreting what you said is that you'd like to toss around some story ideas without actually making a commitment to being the writer for the campaign.
Correct me if I am mistaken.

If you don't want to actually be the writer, then you probably aren't the kind of person I'm looking for. However, you're certainly welcome to suggest any plot/story ideas that you have, since I don't have any yet.
No, I mean to help with some little details of the story or help your "author" make the story.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

@powershot Um. That's exactly what C_W said.

@C_W I'd love to help you, but I'm bogged up too much already. I can toss some ideas around, but I can't commit until the first beta of Wesnoth Forum Era is done.
powershot

Post by powershot »

@Wrathbow: looks like were stuck once again. :annoyed:
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

After the Fall campaigns sound better:

A group of nomadic humans are struggling to elude capture by the Chaos empire (Note this campaign is prior IftU). One day they are running from a patrol and find refuge in a cave. In the cave the leader of the group tells them to advance further because of the fear of the patrol advancing into the caves. They travel for days or weeks (you can't tell time in underground :lol2: ) and find a sort of valley or paradise. The valley has a clean water supply and has fertile soil for a civilization to thrive but for the sad is that its already the home of an antisocial/xenophobic elementalist. At first the leader tries diplomacy with the wizard but it doesn't work. So the leader then tries to take it by force and a battle ensues. In the end the elementalist is killed and the humans settle in their new home. After a month or so the humans get attacked by trolls and and a series skirmishes follow resulting in the abandoning of the humans new home. They escape into the desert only to be captured by a Chaos patrol. (The Chaos empire is too evil :twisted: for me to describe the ending).
Or, if everyone wants a happy ending then: The survivors of group are taken to the Chaos prison harbor (could be Elensefar after the Fall...) where they break out after a few days. They hijack a ship and wonder off to find a new home....THE END

A great campaign for introducing the Khalifate :D . Or you can use the regular outlaws.

If you like this idea, please ask someone else to do the dialogue, cause I'm going to be busy with the GLE campaigns. I still got one to finish and another 3 waiting to be authored...

A great plot for a campaign,overall... (my viewpoint)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
powershot

Post by powershot »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:After the Fall campaigns sound better:

A group of nomadic humans are struggling to elude capture by the Chaos empire (Note this campaign is prior IftU). One day they are running from a patrol and find refuge in a cave. In the cave the leader of the group tells them to advance further because of the fear of the patrol advancing into the caves. They travel for days or weeks (you can't tell time in underground :lol2: ) and find a sort of valley or paradise. The valley has a clean water supply and has fertile soil for a civilization to thrive but for the sad is that its already the home of an antisocial/xenophobic elementalist. At first the leader tries diplomacy with the wizard but it doesn't work. So the leader then tries to take it by force and a battle ensues. In the end the elementalist is killed and the humans settle in their new home. After a month or so the humans get attacked by trolls and and a series skirmishes follow resulting in the abandoning of the humans new home. They escape into the desert only to be captured by a Chaos patrol. (The Chaos empire is too evil :twisted: for me to describe the ending).
Or, if everyone wants a happy ending then: The survivors of group are taken to the Chaos prison harbor (could be Elensefar after the Fall...) where they break out after a few days. They hijack a ship and wonder off to find a new home....THE END

A great campaign for introducing the Khalifate :D . Or you can use the regular outlaws.

If you like this idea, please ask someone else to do the dialogue, cause I'm going to be busy with the GLE campaigns. I still got one to finish and another 3 waiting to be authored...

A great plot for a campaign,overall... (my viewpoint)
Sounds nice, but how about when they go into the desert they are able to sneak some troops and their leader out of the way of the chaos guy and then they become nomadic desert people and turn into Khalifate units then slowly move to Wesnoth. (Sorry, I don't know much about the Chaos units).

We should probably look around to see where Khalifate history stands. :|

Post2: how about their "leader" tries to defend them and his son gets away, so they(choas) think they're( Khalifate) dead. :D
ok bye m8. I'm serious.