Looking for a campaign writer

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Limabean

Looking for a campaign writer

Post by Limabean »

Hey there,

I'm starting up a new campaign, and i'm looking for someone to help with the writing side of the project. In previous projects i've found myself wasting lots of time writing and rewriting dialogue/story in a mad pursuit of perfection. This time around, i'd rather spend that time coding so I figured i'd look for a partner.

I have a campaign outline already written up. It's a drake campaign, and I plan to make extensive use of the FANTASTIC new fire dragon sprite recently finished by eternal
Spoiler:
As writer, you'll have plenty of freedom to change that plan around as you see fit. Add scenarios in, remove them, change them around, get creative with characters etc etc. I do want to stick with the overarching plot (dragon emerges, unites drakes, makes war) but all the details are open for revision.
You don't need to be a really good writer, you just need to enjoy it more than I do and have some time to spend.

Also, if anyone wants to comment on the above plot, feel free.
Reepurr

Re: Looking for a campaign writer

Post by Reepurr »

Oh yeah, sure dragons are A, still alive at this time, and B, sentient. :roll:
Drakes are the descendants of dragons. At the time they evolved, all the dragons began dying out, one by one. Sure, this could be the last Ancient Dragon, but still, it's a bit fishy.

Dragons are also fairly primitive, not very good at understanding or having a talk with other races.
Wrong: Discussing things with drakes.
Right: Trying to set everything on fire.

If someone objects to that though, with suitable evidence, I'll change my mind about it, but until then, I'm steadfast in my decision.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I fail to notice any "this time" in the overview, note that mainline campaigns feature both drakes and a whole big 2 dragons, both sentient. The "discussing" part will need to be made proper for a big dragons "I don't give a .." attitude standards, but it's not impossible.
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Reepurr: you're pretty much entirely wrong.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Well,i'm not sure what period i'll place this campaign in, but there are two cases of sentient talking dragons in the mainline campaigns. They are rare, but there is nothing to suggest that they are "extinct." the other dragons were very minor characters and only a few lines in the respective scenarios, but they do demonstrate a few characteristics that i'll probably emulate:

Examples from the Sceptre of Fire and The Rise of Wesnoth
Aggression.
Khrakrahs wrote:Ah, fresh meat!
Arrogance.
Khrakrahs wrote:I am Khrakrahs, greatest dragon of all time! Haldric killed Shek'kahan my brother, but he was weaker than me, and you will not find me so easy to defeat. Now get out of my volcano!
Shek'kahan wrote:It is unwise to trifle with dragons, boy!
Greed.
Khrakrahs wrote:That pretty metal rock is mine! Get away from it!
and plain evilness.
Shek'kahan wrote:Who dares disturb Shek'kahan the Terrible?
Maybe i'll even make my dragon another part of that same dragon family. It's not really any harder to write dialogue for an evil dragon than it is for an evil lich or orc.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

There are dragons in ML? :shock:
Shows how much I know.

I was about to do the first scenario, but there's no map, no actual description of the characters (possible loyal units, orcish warlord's name...) so I was forced to abandon my work. Could you flesh it out a bit more?
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

well, the first level is very simple, mostly just an intro to characters. Right now I've just put the main character and an orcish warrior in opposing castles. Orcs have entered drake territory and the main character is there to punish them. The setting is pretty mountainous and there's a river in the middle of the map. You can make up any other characters (loyal units, enemies, etc) you want, add a mini-plot, choose names, whatever. If you want to write it, it's all up you :wink:

However, the whole writer/coder partnership isn't going to work by just talking about it on the forum. Ideally, if someone would commit to writing for the whole campaign, I would send playable scenarios via pm, the writer could try them out, see the setting, characters, situation, etc., and decide what to have the characters say.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

:doh:
Why do people only ask questions like this when I'm really busy and generally unavailible.

If you're still in need of assistance after about May or so, I'll help if I can.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Virgeist

Post by Virgeist »

[deleted]
Last edited by Virgeist on November 5th, 2013, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Après avoir retiré à coup de hache le fémur droit
Il brisa l'os et aspira goûlument la moelle
Quman

Post by Quman »

Do you still need a writer for this? I'm a bit new to the Wesnoth setting, but I am into writing and I have good spelling and grammar.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Quman wrote:Do you still need a writer for this? I'm a bit new to the Wesnoth setting, but I am into writing and I have good spelling and grammar.
As a matter of fact I am still in need of a writer. i'll send you over the completed scenarios in a pm so you can play through them.
Wofi

Post by Wofi »

In the description for drakes in game, it's war band, not tribe. Just saying.