Aragwaithi Origins

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mountain_King
Translator

Aragwaithi Origins

Post by Mountain_King »

This could be the wrong place to post this...but I am justifying it by saying it relates to a UMC. (It does)
Where did the Aragwaithi come from? Are they remnants of the Northern Alliance, Wesnothian refugees, some other humans from the far north? I don't think IftU told us about their origins. Did they and I missed it?
Thank you,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Gwynnedrion

Re: Aragwaithi Origins

Post by Gwynnedrion »

According to the World of Orbvim (and I quote): "The Aragwaithi are the descendants of those Marauders and Arendians who remained in the north after the Lavinian empire fell. They continued to learn from the elves, and made an alliance with the High Elves. They live in the area vacated by the Íssaelfr - the cold, harsh regions of the North. "

I don't know how they got in Irdya (because of their appearance in IftU) nor do I know why it is that they are the only ones that appear in IftU -if they made it from Orbvim to Irdya then the High Elves and other species who live in Orbvim could do the same. Anyway, since they are one of my favorite factions and I have nothing to do at the moment I'll ask Turin if there is a more historical account and that if there is not, that I could write one.
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Alternatively, isn't it explained in IftU? Just play the first few scenarios of the second half, I think they appear around that point.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I think Orbvim was intended to be located on the Old Continent (the continent west of the Green Isle) of Irdya before being moved to another world. Maybe the Aragwaithi come from the old continent.

I search the forum, and I found that Aragwaithi came from this art thread :
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5203
(see page 7 of this thread for the creation of the name)

They apparently were intended at the beggining to be kind of mercenaries from desertic lands, but they were (are still ?) lacking concept and story background.
Aragwaithi appear in the campaign A New Order (which was apparently the first campaign to use them back in 2005).
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Gwynnedrion wrote: I don't know how they got in Irdya (because of their appearance in IftU) nor do I know why it is that they are the only ones that appear in IftU -if they made it from Orbvim to Irdya then the High Elves and other species who live in Orbvim could do the same. Anyway, since they are one of my favorite factions and I have nothing to do at the moment I'll ask Turin if there is a more historical account and that if there is not, that I could write one.
Hahaha, I have the opposite situation! :lol2: I created a race of humans living in the far north with their own history and mythology, (some good stories in there actually), and I couldn't decide what happened so nobody knew their story. I wondered if their descendants could eventually become the Aragwaithi, but I wanted to make sure that the "powers that be" hadn't already made up a different story for them.
For the curious:
Spoiler:
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

I've asked Turin and got permission to write the history of the "Noble People" whom's known name is the Aragwaithi. I'd like you all to tell your own vision about them. What do you think they would look like, what kind of religion, culture and such more... I have my own ideas already but its just so I get a general picture of the idea we (players) have about this faction.
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

and that's why Wesnothian historical fiction is so great! You are not nearly as constrained by historical events or realism as you are in writing real historical fiction.
EXTERMINATE!!!!