The Rising Underworld

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Samonella

The Rising Underworld

Post by Samonella »

(1) Language: Did you like how the story was presented? Was there too much text, or were certain passages boring? Also, did you notice any typos or grammar errors?

(2) Scenarios: Which scenarios were your favorite and least favorite? Do you think there should be more scenarios with unusual objectives or game-play elements, or less? Do you have any specific ideas to improve one or more scenarios?

(3) Difficulty: Were any of the scenarios to hard, to easy, or otherwise unbalanced?

(4) Artwork: Were there any unit sprites, character portraits, animations, etc. that you think should be improved? More importantly, are there any you would be willing to help improve?

(5) Performance: Did everything run smoothly? Did you encounter bugs, or serious interruptions as the program worked on some internal task?

(6) Other: What was your overall impression of the campaign? Do you have any other suggestions, comments, or compliments? For example: ideas about enhancing characters' personalities.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: The Rising Underworld

Post by Inky »

The Rising Underworld v 1.0.3 (Wesnoth version 1.12.5)

Hey, just finished this campaign. The dialogue was very well written and the scenario designs were unique and interesting, so nice work!

Typos:
Spoiler:
Comments/suggestions on individual scenarios:
Spoiler:
Thanks for a fun and original campaign! It makes me sad that no one has commented on your campaign yet, as it's obviously had a ton of thought and work put into it. You might get more attention if you started a thread in the Scenario & campaign development forum which gets a lot more visitors, but I'm not sure, as unfortunately not many players write feedback for UMCs these days.
ballislife15

Post by ballislife15 »

When fighting demon sicc I'm not able to recruit or recall anyone so I'm stuck with fighting his whole army with just the dwarf and human which is almost impossible with the 3 ancient liches.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

To Inky: Thanks so much for all the great feedback! I knew there would be typos, so your help there was exactly what I was hoping for. I wonder if I wrote "Let's" correctly even once! :lol:

About the individual scenarios:
Spoiler:
Difficulty
Inky wrote:Overall I found the campaign to be easy due to having tons of gold and being able to recruit high level units; I think in general it could be made harder (less gold, more enemies), maybe add a Hard difficulty level.
Another difficulty level is something I'd like, but it's a Big time investment, and I'm a little burnt out anyways. I'm vaguely hoping someone will offer to help make one, because I'm not likely to for quite a while.

Anyway, thanks again for all the great feedback, I really appreciate it!
Last edited by Samonella on March 21st, 2016, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Samonella

Post by Samonella »

ballislife15 wrote:When fighting demon sicc I'm not able to recruit or recall anyone so I'm stuck with fighting his whole army with just the dwarf and human which is almost impossible with the 3 ancient liches.
Thanks for feedback. This is a pretty bad bug that the last update fixed. If you want to work around it, you'll have to make sure you're on the latest version and restart from scenario 16, The Council of War. Make sure you load a fresh copy of that scenario; you probably want to replay the last few turns of the one before it.
So sorry for the trouble, and thanks again for the response!

rebhuhn

Lich's Den

Post by rebhuhn »

First of all, wanted to congratulate you on the campaign. It's obvious that a lot of thought went into it and I found it fun to play. However, ..... I am stuck in the Lich's Den. I have explored every hex that I can find on the map, and I can't find a way to wherever Malidron is hiding. I have literally walked over the entire map trying to find the glyph or portal or whatever will take me there, yet it eludes me. My map has two water caverns on the left, the starting space with a desert cavern under it in the middle, a snow cavern to the right of the desert, and a large cave system to the right of that. In the middle top is a large lava cavern. There are unexplored spaces on the upper left and bottom right, but I can't get to them. I'm on turn 241 just to let you know that I've really made a serious effort to find the way to proceed.

So, first, came someone help me because I'd really like to continue the campaign. And secondly, unless I'm missing something really obvious, which is of course possible, then it might be good to make the next step a little easier to find. (:

Thanks!
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

rebhuhn wrote:I am stuck in the Lich's Den.
If I remember correctly, there's a rune in the far northwest of the lava cavern (you'll have to break through the line of guardians defending the area) which will teleport units to the southeast, past the windy tunnel.
(There's also a rune in the northeast cave system which teleports to the right of the lava area, so that your land units can reach the lava area to help.)
rebhuhn

Post by rebhuhn »

Been there, done that (:

The rune from lava took me to the mountainous region which is the one past the windy tunnel. Defeated the caster there, but the scenario didn't end. If that was Malidron then I missed that when defeating him, but if it was him, I expect that the scenario would now be over? Unfortunately I can't back up to check the name, way too many turns ago.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Maybe you're missing one of the other orbs then (there are 6 total - water, desert, mountain, snow, cave, and lava areas.) Once you collect all 6 your units automatically get transported to a different area.

A couple of the less obvious orbs:
Spoiler:
rebhuhn

Post by rebhuhn »

That was it. Somehow never found that door in the cave area.

Thanks!
rebhuhn

Post by rebhuhn »

Few minor edits in the closing dialogues:

Paciran: some some time --> some time

Gepha: ail -> ale

Ferok: While he could shut -> While he couldn't shut
quite -> quiet

Lucidal: his time would come like the anyone -> his time would come like anyone

All together a very well done campaign, many thanks.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Thanks for the great feedback, and glad you enjoyed it! Soooorry I wasn't there to help, so big thanks to Inky for explaining that!

Beon_Wyre

Post by Beon_Wyre »

Hi Samonella,

thanks for making a great campaign. Most of my thoughts have already been expressed by other players.

The biggest problem for me right now is, in Level 14 (Where the sun never shone), the dwarvish miners just cannot start digging.
I placed loads of them on the cave walls, end a turn and expect somehow, starting next turn, I can move them to the cave wall in order to set them digging. Unfortunately it doesnt work. Which of your instructions escaped me?

Running Wesnoth 1.12.6.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Beon
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Hi Beon_Wyre

Not sure what's going wrong there. I haven't changed that part of the code in a very long time, and it is still working for me on 1.12 as well as 1.14.

It should be that the miners can move onto the cave wall (the actual wall, not just the nearest flat ground to it) and they change the terrain to cave so others can follow. It sounds like you can move them onto it, but the terrain doesn't change?

I'd recommend getting Wesnoth 1.14; my campaign definitely should work on that version, and there are lots of improvements to the core game anyway.

Thanks for the compliment and the feedback!

Beon_Wyre

Post by Beon_Wyre »

Hi Samonella,

and Wow! what a quick reply. Thanks!

My miners are already facing the cave wall. When the next turn starts, all I can do is trying to move them onto the wall/next hex, which results the hex having a gold border, displaying 0% in the middle of that hex field.

In other words, even the miners behave like any other unit would do, trying to move onto a cave wall hex field.

Ill download 1.14 and hope I can use a game save.

Cheers!

Beon

Edit 1:
Installed 1.14.3a and copied the data/add-ons and saves folders from 1.12.6 to 1.14.3a. Game starts up, loading the game saves works - miners won't mine. Ive played Wesnoth for many years and can usually figure out directions given. All i can do with the miners is try to make them move on a cave wall hex, which results in it being impossible. I want to point out, that I added extra turns, so they can try start digging into a cave wall, when already standing next to it on a new turn.

I am still wondering, if this is some technical glitch, or if I am just too stupid to figure out, how to make the miners work.

Edit 2:
May be you can provide a working game save for that level, so I can check out if that might work?