Tale of Alan

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Tale of Alan

Post by ForestDragon »

1. What version of Battle for Wesnoth did you play this campaign on?
2. What version of Tale of Alan did you play on?
3. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign on? (easy/normal/hard)
4. How difficult did you find the campaign? (1-10)
5. How clear did you find the objectives in the campaign/any particular scenario? (1-10)
6. Are there any bugs in the campaign/scenarios?
7. What (if any) changes should be made to make the gameplay more fun?
8. What (if any) changes should be made to make the story more interesting?
9. Are there errors in spelling/grammar?
10. Any inventory items you think should be added or removed?
GodlyDragon

Re: Tale of Alan

Post by GodlyDragon »

Good campaign, but could you add more upgrade for Alan or add an AMLA system? Maybe you could do some custom units for the other heroes: Sam, Dwalin and the others you will eventualy add. Continue your good work. :D
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Thank you for feedback! I plan to continue this campaign in version 0.2.x, this version 0.1.x is intermediate.
About AMLA system and custom units, i will try to make it , maybe this spring.
EDIT: Maybe i was wrong... (edited in 2016)
Last edited by ForestDragon on February 20th, 2016, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

Hey there, thanks for porting ToA on 1.12! I have found 2 bugs so far:

1) When I equip items on units in the first town, they don't have them in the next scenario

2) In the Crossroad Village scenario, the Death baron does not appear so I can't finish the battle.

I'm looking foward to the next version
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

I, too, have found myself stuck in the Crossroad Village scenario.

On turn 52, a zombie wave appears on the west (left) edge of the map and a castle appears in the northwest (upper left) corner. At the same time, I get an error message in the northwest (upper left) corner. (A screen shot of the error message is attached.)

Wesnoth Version: 1.12.5.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 7.02.04 PM.png
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

PS: This phenomenon occurs at all three levels of difficulty.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

it's not a bug, it's intential, sorry, i made it because i didn't want those items taking up too much space, i you want to, i'll make the permanent.
EDIT: I mean about items lasting for a scenario
Last edited by ForestDragon on February 20th, 2016, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

fixed the Bone Baron bug (he actually was Death Baron)
Last edited by ForestDragon on February 20th, 2016, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

new update 1.9.4 is out, includes the fix
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

Thank you so much for fixing the bug!
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

May I ask when Tale of Alan 2.0 is coming out?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Trossknecht wrote:May I ask when Tale of Alan 2.0 is coming out?
i am not sure exactly, i am currently mostly focused on creating my era (The Golden Age, i highly suggest you also check it out, i am desperate for feedback), and i am a type who is either working really hard on something, or just almost forgetting about it :whistle: , so when i improve my era to a more-or-less complete state, i might get back to work on ToA (fun fact, the two short names of my addons are: ToA and TGA :D ), the main reason is that i didn't have enough storyline-related ideas

by the way the spoilers for 2.0.0 are here (mostly concepts)
smaller spoilers
Spoiler:
next
Spoiler:
oh, and i also might use a bunch of units from my era, and also when there will be lots of music, i might make Tale of Alan Music addon (like most large campaign do)
Last edited by ForestDragon on May 2nd, 2016, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

Please forgive the tardy reply to your kind note. I, too, am of the "focus on one thing and forget everything else" tribe.

I don't know much about eras, but I am impressed with the approach that you took with The Golden Age, with separate battles that will eventually turn into a single battle. I wonder if something similar might work for "Tale of Alan." For example, you might have a map that is divided into two segments by an impassable mountain range. As Alan enters the map, he must choose between one of two sides of that map. However, at some point in the game, there is an earthquake (or, perhaps, a magic event) that creates a path between two segments, allowing bad guys from one segment to enter the other.

To further complicate matters, you could make the bad guys in each map segment members of a different race. Thus, in one half of the map the bad guys would be undead, in the other they would be orcs or renegade humans. Thus, the force that Alan raises to deal with one group of bad guys would be less than optimal for dealing with the other.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

1.9.5 is out! yeah, got a bit bored with my era, since it's starting to get difficult finding new units, so i decided to go back to ToA, changes are:
in scen. 5 the final wave appears on the northern side of the map instead of western, once again tweaking first scen.,added a portrait to bowrider line,tweaked aethenvan's portrait,made sam advance into a paladin archer,made the dialogues a bit nicer and less stupid, and a few things i won't tell you about *wink*
taptap

Post by taptap »

Your campaign starts really slow. A cutscene, several single unit scenarios with Alan parking in a suitable village to fight at daytime, a talk to people to recruit them scenario, a fighting scenario which until the final wave (this is how far I have played so far) only features pathetically weak opponents - in total probably less than Alan took on alone earlier. To pull such a slow start off you would need some stellar writing so people do not mind the click-along graphic novel style until that point. When fighting starts in serious Alan is already a Paladin - so the character development of having him start at L1 is wasted (and of course combining randomness with a single unit can easily mean your end even without any obvious mistake on your side). It would be better to engage players first and deliver story later. The village defence style of play (instead of a single huge wave of opponents) within the scenarios is refreshing.

Various typos (should be visible in a spell check). Once there was an error message shown as part of the dialog (where there was bolded text as well).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.