Roboke's Island

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

x42

Re: Roboke's Island

Post by x42 »

vasek2 wrote:Hey guys, maybe I am crazy, but I cannot find the second part of map (I got the first and third one), all dwarfs villages checked but without success, where is it? Help please, I wanna finish this beautiful part.

Thanks
It's well hidden :)

Here's a hint at first:
Spoiler:
Real Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Have fun,
robin
x42

Post by x42 »

PS. I don't know if anyone plays the "Southern Cliffs" scenario like this, but the intended strategic trick here is to use the small boats as lure for various sea-monsters and the merfolk to capture villages ahead of time (leaving the Dwarf to move around freely).
vasek2

Post by vasek2 »

Thank you,

Hammer I got, egg is eaten...
but how I can get 70.14 willige, there is no village at the cost to land in??? I can only use the gates 55.15 and 55.18.
;-(
x42

Post by x42 »

vasek2 wrote:Thank you,

Hammer I got, egg is eaten...
but how I can get 70.14 willige, there is no village at the cost to land in??? I can only use the gates 55.15 and 55.18.
;-(
You can walk through shallow water.
vasek2

Post by vasek2 »

Got it. now trying to understand and go through water colors, no idea so far.
x42

Post by x42 »

vasek2 wrote:Got it. now trying to understand and go through water colors, no idea so far.
There are some hints showing up after a few turns, and the full explanation will eventually come.

Alternatively go back to the last replay, and choose the alternate route :)

PS. It's the last "hard" riddle :)
I've just clarified the dialog a bit: "The place where we move to becomes the kind of water where we came from. That's bizarre". Also the final hint is now displayed at turn 20 (instead of 24).
akh9010

Post by akh9010 »

I played on level easy. I enjoyed the game - maps, story, special items all. I did not like the use of photographs (water valve), since they take away the typical wesnothy feel. Also the spray painted map (the one we get after piecing canoneer's maps together) could have looked more handdrawn/handpainted instead of computer generated. I don't remember the number of turns I took each time, but the only time I took too much turns was Water Colors and Southern Cave. In case of the cave, the reason I took so long was that I had to figure a way to get the cloak. In the end I redid the level (cheated) after figuring all the secrets.
The level I took extremely low turns was the one in which we had to defeat the dragon. I had Roboke take the magic boots in the earlier scenario. After recruiting a keep full of level 3 units, I moved all my heros to the bridges. And I moved Roboke to the crypt thing in the dragons's castle. I thought it would be some secret item. When I realized it wasnt't, I was cursing myself because Roboke could get trapped in that keep. But then the dragon recruited his units, and came out to the bridge to attack Reddie, the Silver mage (I made him silver so he can escape easily). I had made Reddie take the ring of life in the Southern caves, probably because of that, Reddie just barely survived the encounter with the dragon. I moved Reddie back to near my original keep by teleporting, and it was the easiest thing to trap the dragon between Roboke(skirmisher) and Skipper van Dijk (who had the ice sword). All in all, I was able to finish the level within 3 turns (of Roboke).
I liked that you have a lot of items to find. The challenge was to figure who should pick up each. Here are some of the items my units picked up. I would like to know whom did others gave special items to and how it helped:
Roboke - magic boots, flaming sword, armor and/or ring that increases resistance.
Canoneer - Dragon staff, magic hammer, invisibility cloak, poison-antidote egg, (I think he has something more..)
Mistress (?) Rosie (forgot name) - Lightning staff (in retrospect, I should have made someone else take it), Armor from southern caves.
Reddy - Ring of life
Loyal merman - Lightning staff
Another merman - Lightning staff
Blackie - Candle (turned out useless as I hardly did any combat with her)

Overall, very enjoyable game!
x42

Post by x42 »

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it's not too unbalanced after all, except, something needs to be done with the Dragon..

I'm glad you enjoyed the game. That's the whole point! If redoing a level makes it more fun to you , that's not cheating to me.

You're right, about the images. Turns out I'm a better programmer than artist, no surprise there. Then again should you visit Kauai next time you can take the tour and sightsee all the places :)
Anyway, if someone wants to contribute better imagery please don't hesitate.

PS. Candle?? what candle?
akh9010

Post by akh9010 »

My bad -It was not a candle,but a staff of illumination.
There were two items that would give 'drain' property a weapon and a book. The dwarf took the weapon, some other unit took the book of bloodleaching.
Snarkus

Post by Snarkus »

Some nice levels and ideas in this campaign so far.

Just wanted to leave feedback that I also had a lot of trouble on the dwarf Canoneer level searching for the map pieces, and had to come here for help with that last village hidden across the shallow water.
I ended up playing the level twice, and even on the 2nd try checked every village bar that hidden one, even sailing right back to the starting castle to check the sand villages. And I deliberately recruited a lot of mermen 2nd try to resist the arrival of big sea serpents etc - as a result finished with over 1000 gold and lots of high level mermen. So I reckon the 'puzzle' here might unbalance later levels as well as being a bit frustrating. (BTW just remembered - on my 2nd try at that level, no gryphons showed up - perhaps they, including their leader, already fought and died against the surrounding Nagas?)
minemax

Post by minemax »

The Southern Caves is incredibly boring and even annoying, I would say. I actually stop playing the campaign at that "water-valves search" second time... Disappointed.