A New Order

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

szopen

A New Order

Post by szopen »

1. What version of BfW did you play this campaign/scenario on?
2. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign on? (easy/normal/hard)
3. How difficult did you find the campaign/scenario? (1-10)
4. How clear did you find the objectives on the campaign/scenario? (1-10)
5. Was there a bug in the campaign/scenario?
6. Which (if any) changes should be made to make the gamplay more fun?
7. Was it too short/long enough?
8. What (if any) changes should be made to make the story more interesting?
9. Is/are there errors in spelling/grammar?
10.Is music distracting/should be changed?
11.Do you think campaign well fits Wesnoth world?

Please include the answers to the following within a

Code: Select all

[spoiler][/spoiler]
tags
12. What story images you think should be added/removed?
13. What were the Lorin's questions to the Oracle?
14. Why Lorin left Gawen in 19a scenario (entering Okladia)
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
tr0ll

Re: A New Order

Post by tr0ll »

wesnoth 1.10, ANO 1.1.100

2. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign on? (easy/normal/hard)

normal

it was easy and i didnt lose any units until 04_Battle_of_Barnon then suddenly it was quite hard
and i survived but didnt carryover 200 so the next one was too hard.

great

these errors showed in the log file:
warning engine: Invalid anchor!
error display: could not open image 'akladian/akl-warrior-melee-1.png'
error engine: Trying to recall unit failed!
error engine: failed to auto-store $unit at (-999,-999)

so far it is a fascinating story.
the queen is not endearing herself to me with her attitude lol.

some dialogue not natural english but ok

nice music

yes, but none of my units have ranged attacks.
also units seem to have much stronger melee attacks at low levels than i am used to, so i dont know if Akladians are balanced against Loyalists (if they would ever meet).
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

BfW 1.10.1 - ANO 1.2.2b
custom :lol2:
No valuable opinion (see 2).
Fine except in battle at Barnon. I would rewrite them as something like "Survive as long as you can. Gawen's death isn't a defeat condition."
No. Only some missing pictures in one scenario, but it's probably BfW.
6. Which (if any) changes should be made to make the gameplay more fun?
Already fine as it is.
Fine.
I regret Karen's death in such dramatic circumstances, but it's not a story defect. The story is yet *really* good IMO. Lady Lorin is a very interesting character because her mind is a battlefield "full of sound and fury". Other characters look a little dull and pale against her: they are pure heroes or blackhearted fiends. Of course it would be very difficult to change that, but IMHO, it would be the only way to improve the story.
Spoiler:
I always play sound off.
Yes.
Spoiler:
Friendly,
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

1.86 once. At that time it was not a good one, since all portraits sucks, so I didn't take much care. Then I used 1.10.2.
Btw, I am a so called hardcore player. And I am more than only a player--a hardcore breaker! :mrgreen:

you know it...hehehe

eeaassyy. There are lots of ways to save and make money during this period.

Very clear. But forcing me to pick limit-numbered units from leveled ones really makes me feel bad. :annoyed: That is really a very unimportant thing, for this does not really change the difficulty.

I told you and I can tell you more...when can you get back from holiday? I have done the balance works of your beloved Akaladians.

manymany. To many to be told at a time. This is a good campaign but still need improvements.

Too short. Though it looks long but many scenerios are fairly easy even on nightmarish level.

I dunno why would you ask this...this is a same question as you asked above in 6.

When leaving Okaladia, that big scale map, I do remember that Gawen makes a mistake; when he wants to talk to Lorin, his words are actually which to be told to another person.(who? I don't recall now. )

plz...set deafult music is already enough.

Why the hell can an unexcperenced lich keep his man-like appearence, and even breed such a great race??? That is a great problem to solve, friend!

12. What story images you think should be added/removed?
Many portraits are still made of poor quality till now... :(

13. What were the Lorin's questions to the Oracle?
Who knows? If you, the author,l don't even know it, who knows?

14. Why Lorin left Gawen in 19a scenario (entering Okladia)
......you are the auther, friend...if you don't know it, who knows?

Do you need me to send you all my nightmarish level replays? I am glad to laugh to guys who cannot break my record :mrgreen:
nickg4000

Post by nickg4000 »

Hi

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this campaign. I played on the easy level but had to do so twice as the first time I hadn't built up enough forces of a high level for the final scenario. I liked the depth and thought in the story as well as the art work. One of the best bits was the fact that the enemies weren't daft and didn't run into the attack but played with some defensive forethought. I couldn't find Reme whatever his name was but Deorian replied as though it was him when questioned. I also liked the reload/deja vu script - very clever.

Thanks
taptap

Post by taptap »

Just started playing around in your campaign. Normal difficulty.

Scenario 4 (where the two lords betray you) is something of a plot hole - why has the leader to stay behind suicidally when all his units left delaying the enemy two days already (7 bonus turns). I completely understand that the leader should leave as the last one, but staying behind when everyone surviving left - against the actual plan - is somewhat inconsistent. Another quirk is that you can send Lorin and Reme west, and all the rest to the east, but still they are happily reunited in the next scenario. Also, if you want to make it pretty much unwinnable you can give some base income which is transparent instead of hidden bonusses, not to talk of the out of the hat reinforcements, which I do not heart. Especially as it looked completely winnable with 379 starting gold and experienced loyals (even without Reme and Lorin).

Scenario 5 (western way) had a dialog about the intelligence of the different orcs triggered when I was just seeing a lonely wolf. Is shroud really necessary here?

In general it would be useful to have loyal units marked by a bronze ring as is common in other campaigns. Especially as you can easily lose track of the loyal clansman among the hordes of clansmen in the field.

The custom portraits look great, but some of them in game have a feel as if they were shrinked (leading to jagged edges which don't exist if I look at the portraits externally). I don't understand why you don't use generic portraits (Akladian Lord) for Bor Cryne and fellows instead of the old ones.

Sturmknight and Darknite naming seems to be a little inconsistent both within the unit line, English language (stormknight, darkknight intended?) and the overall feel. Can't you make up something fancy akladian-sounding, where you don't need any "knight" in it?

Frequently when an AI akladian L2 is dying Wesnoth freezes for some seconds in the middle of the death animation.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
taptap

Post by taptap »

The two scenarios with fencers are very cool. (As always when you play with fencers.) As the outlaw base was the first time I managed to kill with a leader, I somehow feel the effects of this are too big.

In Hired Swords the Khalifate suits the campaign (and the map) very well. But giving back the ability to recruit Akladians and healers(!) dependent on the final strike against the leader is too big a difference for campaign balance in my opinion. (But well, I guess balance wasn't really your concern here and in the following scenario.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Palatin

Post by Palatin »

I really liked the campaign and want to thank you for the work you put into it and the fun I had. In my opinion it is of really high quality in all aspects. Story telling, unit design, characters, maps, scenarios - all top!
I played it three or four months ago so my memory about details is already a bit fuzzy, but the fact that it stayed in mind as a positive memory is already an argument for the quality. I'm thinking about playing it again!

Can't remember really, probably the last of 1.8 versions

I think normal.

I found them challenging and sometimes a little frustrating but only to the degree that I really, really wanted to beat them. However, I think there were also some scenario that were to easy. Would have to play them again to rate each one. Overall I would say 8 - but the fun-rating would be a 8 too!

Totally clear, I always knew what to do.

Can't remember - so no major ones.

One thing comes to mind: Information/clues about what lies ahead. Sometimes it is hard to decide how many units you should recall/recruit and if you should concentrate on leveling more (and what kinds of?) units up or if you should use and risk the veterans to get it done quickly. Obviously figuring that out is part of the fun, but sometimes it can mean that you waist money and time on many units when the scenario only really needs a handful of units.
I remember that at least on one occasion I had to go back to the saved previous scenario and play it again with far less units, disregarding leveling up any new units but beat it as quick as possible with veterans only (and losing some of them), because in the following one it was critical to have a lot of money at the beginning to field many units. At first I had played it so that I put more emphasis on having leveled up units - but then at the beginning at the next scenario I had not enough gold to recall enough of them or to recruit enough new ones.

So some clues to plan the overall strategy would be nice - or as an alternative check the gold the player gets each scenario and make sure that even when you beat a scenario only in the last possible turn and have less than 0 gold, you still will be able to beat the next one. The player should not need to get any gold bonuses from early finishing to be able to beat the next scenario. I know that can be hard to achieve sometimes, but that is why I recommend putting in some clues to allow the player to deduce how many and which units he will need in the current and the following scenarios.

And the last scenario should be marked as such, so the player knows he can throw his veterans into the meatgrinder and doesn't need to bother with leveling up anymore, because this is the final encounter and only the critical units need to survive.

For a linear campaign it has a good length.

I didn't emerge myself to deep into the story - that is just a matter of personal taste and not a problem with your story. In Wesnoth I'm satisfied with a basic setting and an overall frame story and some small character aspects, since I'm there to play not to read a story. So when dialog starts to pile up, I often find myself clicking it away to get to the action. In that regard I would have to say make the story less intrusive (not sure that is the right word), for example by reducing the number of text-messages that follow in a row. (Personally I start to get impatient if more than three messages pop up in a row.)
However, I have to admit in your campaign I read more of the story then in others - again a statement to the quality.

Don't aks me, I'm no englishman.

Don't think so.

Not really, but it stands on it's own good enough.
Matherton

Post by Matherton »

I have been playing this campaign for quite a while... I could not tell you offhand what version I first played it on, but I am currently going through it again on 1.10.3
Easy. I always do.
not very; can't be more specific.
very
Well, that is the main reason I am posting. In the scenario after the one where I selected my 12 best soldiers, in former versions my recruit list was confined, I think, to peasants. Now I have the same recruit list as I had before the selection scenario. Is this intentional? It seems to me that it is probably an error, since it makes the 12 best thing way less important.
see above; otherwise, it is great
it is, of course, very long, but I like very long campaigns. Yours is epic, which I think is cool.
The story is fascinating.
Nothing that I noticed, so it didn't interfere with my enjoyment.
I always play with the game muted, so I can listen to audiobooks.
Sure.
Matherton

Post by Matherton »

Hello! Just downloaded latest update and started campaign over; Akladian Clansmen now have no attacks whatsoever.
Sawerick

Post by Sawerick »

And Akadian Warrior also hasnt any attacks.
szopen

Post by szopen »

I have posted a pm to matherton with updated files, I hope he will have time to publish them. I can't, since I have no computer with both wesnoth and internet access. THis is my wife's computer and she refuses to install here Wesnoth., i will also post them in A New Order thread in "Campaign and Scenario development".
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
Matherton

Post by Matherton »

Ok, I've done it, and it seems to have fixed the problem.
golemsci

Post by golemsci »

I enjoyed this campaign very much, the story and the Akladian units were really cool. Many thanks to the makers for their work.

1. What version of BfW did you play this campaign on?
normal
8 - There were a lot of levels where I had to replay many times. But it was ok, and I'm by no means a great player.
Very clear - the battles usually made a lot of sense within the storyline. One problem though: when Lorin splits from Reme, I thought that I would keep the troops that did not go with her. I know you want to keep the story a mystery, but I would have picked better units for her if I'd known.
In the scenario immediately after the 'start of the uprising' when you engage an enemy unit and reveal your identity, there was some error message. But the enemy team switched sides as they were supposed to and everything worked ok.
It got a little repetitive with enemies always recruiting Darknites. Also almost all were simply defeating all enemies. But basically I liked the maps a lot, and there was often a key tactic that you had to find that could be successful - I liked that. I didn't like the way you had to pick 12 units and could only recruit very low level ones for a large number of scenarios. It made losing one unit too punishing, so I started reloading whenever I lost one. It would be much nicer if you had access to recruit at least level 1 units so you could play on despite losses in a level.
It was about right - I liked how some of the scenarios were optional.
The final defeat of Grekulak is a little sudden - a little interaction or dialogue with him in previous scenarios would have been nice.
Yes - I would really encourage the makers to fix them, you could have a really polished campaign with some small edits.
It's fine.
Yes, very well.
Spoiler:
Enchanters

Post by Enchanters »

Hi, the campaign "New Order" is a great job. Thanks thanks thanks for the long and exciting campaign. ^_^

I answer the question as best i can:

BfW: 1.10.4, Campaign 1.2.11
hard
campaign 8 scenarios 5-9
clear
no worse bug, game was stable under win7 and winxp

but some little bugs:
I´m playing in german, but dialogs and story-text were a german/english mix
and another one
at first scenario, where you have some ways (east west south etc). There Im playing wrong (no killing leader with Lorin) and after all scenarios can´t play on, because Ruvio say on all ways are already finish, is a impass. Than playing with Lorin torture methods and it was ok

All Arkadian soldiers are little bit to strong in attack and defense (only in Hard modus?)

Oracle campaign: its possible, that the Arkadians and Orks killing the defense of the castle in 3-4 turns and then is no chance reaching the Oracle

the surprises in scenarios are funny and exciting, please more
a good length
story its very good with surprising, love and etc.
the english text: i don´t know,
in the germans section think one or two words was wrong
but don´t know where, sorry
music is very good
very good, this is westnoth live

Spoiler: