The Sojournings of Grog

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

white_haired_uncle

Re: The Sojournings of Grog

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Recently played The South Gate, and I' saw pretty much the same issue described above as The North Gate. The objective is to "try" to survive for 12 turns, longer will delay the dwarves in the new scenario. Unfortunately, I forgot to grab the autosave, but I can describe the issue I saw.

I'm pretty sure I could hold out for thousands of turns.

I was backed up by the NE signpost. A whelp on the south bridge was defending against an ulfzerker. Or it would be, if the ulf ever actually tried to attack.

A whelp on the north bridge and one on the pass just NE of that bridge were each defending against a dwarf fighter. The fighters would attack if they had 15 or more hitpoints, otherwise they would rest and heal. The fighters can't do enough damage to kill my whelps before they (fighters) drop under 15HP, and my whelps regenerate much faster than the fighters rest heal. If I simply don't attack, I can pretty much hold out indefinitely (I mean, sooner or later one of us will have an incredible string of luck and one unit will die -- in theory, I only let it go to about turn 65).

So I'm SLOWLY building up XP on the two whelps, but I'm also cranking in the gold since none of the other dwarves are taking away my villages.

I don't know anything about coding scenarios, but I did have a couple thoughts.

Can you make the AI units really aggressive, even suicidal?

Should you make all of the AI units have a ranged attack? I didn't recall anyone, only recruit, so all of my fodder have only melee attacks. I'm guessing the AI would always attack if it had a ranged attack and I didn't, regardless of how many HP it had.

Thanks for the effort you've put into creating this campaign for us.

BFW 1.1.4.0, TSoG 3.4.0
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: December 25th, 2017, 10:56 amI'm planning to port the campaign to the 1.14 series.
Which, I now see, you have done. Excellent.
white_haired_uncle

Just finished.

In the last scenario, the human leader was killed on turn 7. Since I didn't choose to control the allies, there is nothing I could do about this since I could never get any assistance down there in 6 turns.

And who is this Elyssa? Pretty much every scenario I see her death as a lose condition, but she's not part of the game. I think I remember her from earlier in the campaign, a mage or druid perhaps?
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Elyssa is
Spoiler:
white_haired_uncle

Thanks.

Obviously there's something wrong, but unfortunately I don't have the autosaves to figure out where it got broke and submit a proper bug report.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

I think
Spoiler:
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Of course, Elyssa is always supposed to appear in the second scenario. If you don't trigger her appearance while playing it, she appears when Grog reaches the signpost (in the victory event). If she didn't appear, then it's a bug that nobody else was able to trigger before.
Anyway, my compliments for having finished the campaign without her. You weren't even supposed to be able to do it... :shock:
white_haired_uncle wrote: September 6th, 2018, 10:43 pm Obviously there's something wrong, but unfortunately I don't have the autosaves to figure out where it got broke and submit a proper bug report.
So don't you even have a replay of this scenario?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
white_haired_uncle

I don't save replays. Never thought I'd have a need for one. I was able to narrow things down a bit, and I think I know what happened.

If you load the attached save (the last I had for that scenario), when you get to turn 16, you'll see an error:

Invalid WML found: [unstore_unit]: variable 'stored_Jaash' doesn't contain unit data

I'm guessing that there's no check for the value of isalive_Jaash, and in my case the answer is no, and that blows up the zurg_arrives event and Elyssa never gets unstored? That would probably also explain why when I played this scenario I had to next-level out as the victory condition never triggered.
Attachments
TSoG-The North Gate Turn 7.gz
(135.8 KiB) Downloaded 575 times
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Replays are supposed to be saved automatically. Have you disabled that, white_haired_uncle?
white_haired_uncle

Sadaharu wrote: September 8th, 2018, 1:14 am Replays are supposed to be saved automatically. Have you disabled that, white_haired_uncle?
Probably. I don't remember, but it sounds like something I would do and they are disabled.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Shalax

Post by Shalax »

I'm having issues where Zurg doesn't spawn, causing me to instantly lose the shipwreck scenario
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Shalax wrote: July 25th, 2022, 2:53 pm I'm having issues where Zurg doesn't spawn, causing me to instantly lose the shipwreck scenario
Can you please send me a start-of-scenario save of Shipwreck and a replay of The Back Door?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Shalax

Post by Shalax »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: July 26th, 2022, 9:30 pm
Shalax wrote: July 25th, 2022, 2:53 pm I'm having issues where Zurg doesn't spawn, causing me to instantly lose the shipwreck scenario
Can you please send me a start-of-scenario save of Shipwreck and a replay of The Back Door?
I've not much experience with these forums, how do i do that?
I should also note that earlier in the campaign, i was using level zero hero and replaced an elf unit with its equivalent quenoth level one when it reached that level, which is why I have a Sun Sylph
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Shalax wrote: July 27th, 2022, 2:52 pm I've not much experience with these forums, how do i do that?
It depends what operating system you are using, but usually you can just click the "i" icon in the bottom left corner of the Wesnoth screen, then click the folder icon for the row labelled "Saved games".

saved-games.png

This will open a file manager listing all your save files. Once you've found the save file you're looking for, create a new forum post and then just drag and drop the save file into the text box. (Alternatively, you can click the "Attachments" tab and then click the "Add files" button, and then browse to the folder where your saved games are stored.)

attachments.png
attachments.png (10.96 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
Shalax

Post by Shalax »

I think this has done it right?
Attachments
TSoG-The Back Door replay 20220725-155350.gz
(68.07 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
TSoG-Shipwreck.gz
(34.73 KiB) Downloaded 63 times