Beating Dwarves

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

toms

Beating Dwarves

Post by toms »

I don´t like dwarves, and I post strategies for not always being defeated by our famous dwarf-players. :wink:

Elves: It´s very hard to beat them with elves. Generally, always try to get the dwarfs on grassland, and for the best rise the battle in forests. Then, it´s good to use mages and try to hit them at their weak point. Also, they are very slow and elvish archers (you will need good shooters) are quick and some kind of elusives, but no weakness like assasins. Be awrae of the ulfserkers! If you are not careful, they kill all your god guys. Woses could be useful. So, the reamining problem is the gryphon-riders. You should guard your villages well and take care of their range.

Orcs: Simplier. You can counter their cheap outlaw units with cheap grunts and troll whelps. Oh yeah, and troll whelps are also very good against thunderers.(grunts: :? ) And guardsmen...recruit one assasin and poison them, then capture the villages wich can heal them, and guard them well. (should work for fighters too) Guarding villages is also important for anti-gryphon things. Gryphons: Distribute troll whelps over your area, and they should have the range to guard hardly your whole realm. :twisted:
Undead: Dark Adepts-> Dwarvish units, except for thunderers.
For thunderers->Skeletons. The greatest danger is the dwarvish hammer.
Thugs may cause a problem, but I would use Skeleton archers for the best. (or adepts) Ghosts (one or two) can be useful, but watch them that they don´t die, they cost so much money. If you advance one, better take a wraith...and the dwarves have a problem. And you beat down the nasty ulfserkers. :twisted:
Summary: Best units to use: Skeletons and -archers, adepts, ghosts.

Generally is true that you should move your units only close enough that the dwarves don´t get them.->you can attack, and that´s a privilege.
(i´m at school, and will do the tips for the remainding factions at home :wink: )
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
JW

Post by JW »

Beating Knalgans is a lot simpler now that their defense got dropped to 50% on villages. The only places they hold strong now are hills and mountains. Keep them off those hexes and you win.
player

Post by player »

JW wrote:Beating Knalgans is a lot simpler now that their defense got dropped to 50% on villages. The only places they hold strong now are hills and mountains. Keep them off those hexes and you win.
some addition to that in the current vversion:

their resistance against other damage types became lower...
-jew
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Normally i recommend some sort of mace in a pole for beating up Dwarves, you just have to be careful when they try to run to you and poke them in the belly or face. With perseverance and some attention, you'll be capable of beating up Dwarves whenever you want.

Also, i think this COULD be a [/joke]
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

JW wrote:Beating Knalgans is a lot simpler now that their defense got dropped to 50% on villages. The only places they hold strong now are hills and mountains. Keep them off those hexes and you win.
Heresy.

Code: Select all

* decreased the grassland defense from 50% to 40% for the Sentinel
     * decreased the village defense from 60% to 50% for the Stalwart and Sentinel
     * increased the forest and sand defense from 30% to 40% for the Stalwart and Sentinel
Village defence was reduced only for Stalwart and Sentinel. For other dwarves village defense was always 50%.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
JW

Post by JW »

Dragonking wrote:
Heresy.

Code: Select all

* decreased the grassland defense from 50% to 40% for the Sentinel
     * decreased the village defense from 60% to 50% for the Stalwart and Sentinel
     * increased the forest and sand defense from 30% to 40% for the Stalwart and Sentinel
Village defence was reduced only for Stalwart and Sentinel. For other dwarves village defense was always 50%.
:shock:
Well paint me red...
unsung

Post by unsung »

Loayalists: horsemen and cavalry are very useful, since they are resistant to blade and impact. Horsemen espescially slaughter ulfserksers.

Always attack ulfserkers as soon as you get a good chance to kil, that way the enemy can't use it correctly.

I usually have a very high CTK on them, usualy through pikemen on better terrian or a horseman's 20 damage attacks.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
toms

Post by toms »

Heavy infantery could be good against thunderers. And cavalry is also good against gryphons.

Drakes: Last time I playd drake vs. dwarf, I got beaten. The reason was gryphons.
I´m not much experineced at drakes, so maybe it doesn´t work to use a bunch of gliders and some clashers. The clashers should be death for the ulfserkers and outlaw units. And a couple of gliders can compete with some gryphons. Important is to have the drakes mostly on villages.
Tmoiy

Re: Beating Dwarves

Post by Tmoiy »

toms wrote:Undead: Dark Adepts-> Dwarvish units, except for thunderers.
Thugs may cause a problem, but I would use Skeleton archers for the best. (or adepts) Ghosts (one or two) can be useful, but watch them that they don´t die, they cost so much money. If you advance one, better take a wraith...and the dwarves have a problem. And you beat down the nasty ulfserkers. :twisted:
I love using ghosts against the knalgans, since they simply don't have a counter for them. Unless they can get a large number of poachers or thunderers there, a ghost on a village is practically impossible to dislodge. Your Skeletons, on the other hand, are immune to bows and guns. It's a nice combination.
appleide

Post by appleide »

... I am going to Mono Ghost everytime I play Dwarves!!! :twisted: Seriously, If thats really the case I think they need to be fixed.

But what aboutt Gryphons?? It'll take 2-3 to kill a ghost only.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
toms

Re: Beating Dwarves

Post by toms »

Tmoiy wrote:
toms wrote:Undead: Dark Adepts-> Dwarvish units, except for thunderers.
I love using ghosts against the knalgans, since they simply don't have a counter for them. Unless they can get a large number of poachers or thunderers there, a ghost on a village is practically impossible to dislodge. Your Skeletons, on the other hand, are immune to bows and guns. It's a nice combination.
The counter is an ulfserker. He nearly dies, but no ghost any more. At night it´s maybe better to weaken him a little bit before and--Aaaaaah!! I gave tips for dwarfs! :shock: :evil:
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Knaglan unit agnist ghost? Thunderer! Ghost don't have drain on ranged, also thunderers can deal nice damage, especially if lucky.
player

Post by player »

and ghost have a very low hp.

you can kill it easily(well, it depends on the UNITS you used)

dwarved can use 1 or 2 ulf pie,,or juz 3-5 poachers(which waste lots of chancce to attack others) or 3 or more lucky thunderers.
-jew
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Tomsik wrote:Knaglan unit agnist ghost? Thunderer! Ghost don't have drain on ranged, also thunderers can deal nice damage, especially if lucky.
That's more sensible, indeed. Ulfs are good against skeleton archers.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
toms

Post by toms »

Tux2B wrote:
Tomsik wrote:Knaglan unit agnist ghost? Thunderer! Ghost don't have drain on ranged, also thunderers can deal nice damage, especially if lucky.
That's more sensible, indeed. Ulfs are good against skeleton archers.
YSou really go off-topic. I wanted to talk about anti-dwarf strategies!