Walking Dead - Useless?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Beamer
Posts: 12
Joined: January 23rd, 2006, 1:27 am
Location: Behind you....

Walking Dead - Useless?

Post by Beamer »

Firstly I'm pretty new to this game so I apologise if this point is a stupid one, but I've been playing Undead a bit and I've come to the conclusion that Walking Dead are useless and should never be recruited. They get cut to pieces by pretty much any other unit, are swear in packs, don't have high movement/HP/attack and although they only cost 5 gold it's 5 gold you were better keeping for yourself.
Thoughts?
User avatar
Ranger M
Art Contributor
Posts: 1965
Joined: December 8th, 2005, 9:13 pm
Location: England

Post by Ranger M »

they can be VERY ANNOYING. imagine this, you have an elvish champion, and then a walking corpse attacks, you kill it, but it get replaced by another, and then another when you kill that one, and then another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another.

Untill eventually your elvish champion dies, then how do you feel?

ps:
Beamer wrote: are swear in packs
you swore, on the forums, In Noyga's absence I will do the patronising speech.

hu hum,

"HOW DARE YOU YOU NAUGHT LITTLE CHILD, UP TO YOUR ROOM NOW, AND NO WESNOTH FOR A WEEK, honestly the youth these days. Sometimes they make me so angry."(says the fourteen year old)
User avatar
JW
Posts: 5046
Joined: November 10th, 2005, 7:06 am
Location: Chicago-ish, Illinois

Post by JW »

Walking Corpses cost 6 gold.
Beamer
Posts: 12
Joined: January 23rd, 2006, 1:27 am
Location: Behind you....

Post by Beamer »

Ranger M wrote:they can be VERY ANNOYING. imagine this, you have an elvish champion, and then a walking corpse attacks, you kill it, but it get replaced by another, and then another when you kill that one, and then another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another.

Untill eventually your elvish champion dies, then how do you feel?

ps:
Beamer wrote: are [censored] in packs
you swore, on the forums, In Noyga's absence I will do the patronising speech.

hu hum,

"HOW DARE YOU YOU NAUGHT LITTLE CHILD, UP TO YOUR ROOM NOW, AND NO WESNOTH FOR A WEEK, honestly the youth these days. Sometimes they make me so angry."(says the fourteen year old)
I can see your point but obviously you would have other units to combat them aside from one Elvish Champion.
User avatar
Noyga
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1790
Joined: September 26th, 2005, 5:56 pm
Location: France

Post by Noyga »

Walking corpses are level 0, so they don't have any maintenance costs.
So you can recruit them in large number without lowering your income.
Firnak
Posts: 1
Joined: January 15th, 2006, 10:54 pm
Location: UK

Post by Firnak »

There's a scenario in the campaign Heir to the Throne called Valley of Death. It features a large number of walking dead who I remember being quite a bit more dangerous than your description of them.
So much so, that most people tend to retreat from them and head south.
-------------------------------------------------------
Always get a shot off fast, this upsets your opponent long enough to let you make your second shot perfect.
hearter
Posts: 12
Joined: January 16th, 2006, 5:37 am

Post by hearter »

4 uses for useless zombies

1.sitting those swears on villages away from the frontline prevent any stupid village stealing.
2.they defend against skeletons in undead mirror.
3.although they have no zoc, enemy units cant walk across the hex they sit on, so on maps with patches of advantages terrain, the slow buggers can form a perimeter on the hills/mountains/forests, forcing the enemy to fight on sweary ground.
4.when you're about to get your swear kicked the very next turn, a mass recruit of zombies will protect you until you can get some other swear to kick enemy swear.
:)
User avatar
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 1154
Joined: November 16th, 2005, 8:38 pm
Location: Valley of the Shadow of Death
Contact:

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I warned you in another thread about senseless profanity. I advise you to read it before you post again. Pretty sure it's frowned upon here.

If I'm wrong, any mod can feel free to slap me on the wrist.

All your points are correct. You just have some needless embellishments. Undead mirror is -ugly-, though...

Also useful for attacking units close to leveling up, since as level 0's they give no experience unless slain. Use them as well for finishing things off, and soon you will have a large army of WC and Soulless rampaging across the map.
Tmoiy
Posts: 72
Joined: February 28th, 2005, 6:10 am
Location: yonder

Post by Tmoiy »

Undead mirror is pointless. The undead simply don't have any units that work against themselves.
User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

There's on reason to be swearing about strategies and tips.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tux2B
Posts: 1217
Joined: March 29th, 2005, 8:18 pm
Location: Toulouse (South of France)
Contact:

Post by Tux2B »

Ranger M wrote:they can be VERY ANNOYING. imagine this, you have an elvish champion, and then a walking corpse attacks, you kill it, but it get replaced by another, and then another when you kill that one, and then another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another.

Untill eventually your elvish champion dies, then how do you feel?

ps:
Beamer wrote: are swear in packs
you swore, on the forums, In Noyga's absence I will do the patronising speech.

hu hum,

"HOW DARE YOU YOU NAUGHT LITTLE CHILD, UP TO YOUR ROOM NOW, AND NO WESNOTH FOR A WEEK, honestly the youth these days. Sometimes they make me so angry."(says the fourteen year old)
Agreed. That's how 20 walking corpses killed my elvish champion the first time I played Valley of Death on Httt.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
toms
Posts: 1717
Joined: November 6th, 2005, 2:15 pm

Post by toms »

Walking corpses are strong, compared to the cost and to peasants or goblin spearmen.

With 100 gold and playing an undead, you can either:

recruit 5 ghosts and pay 5 upkeep and have 0 gold left
recruit 6 skeletons and pay 6 upkeep and have 10 gold left
recruit 7 skeleton archers and pay 7 upkeep and have 2 gold left
recruit 5 dark adepts and pay 5 upkeep and have 15 gold left
recruit 5 ghouls and pay 5 upkeep and have 5 gold left
recruit 16 walikng corpses and pay 0 upkeep and have 4 gold left (=a further one on the next turn)

:? 8)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Duke Guillermo
Posts: 127
Joined: October 25th, 2005, 9:32 pm

Post by Duke Guillermo »

Walking Corpses aren't very useful in packs, no units are. Walking Corpses have defined resistances: Can take cold, pierce, and blade without much problem, however holy, impact, and fire damage take their toll on this unit. It is because of this trait that it is not a good idea to recruit Walking Corpses en masse; a small # of a unit that deals this type of damage may each kill one Walking Corpse a turn without fail. Walking Corpses are effective when not used as a frontline soldier. WCs are terrible at fulfilling this role as they have no ZOC, low HP, and no ranged attack. They can, however, be used as a 2nd line troop. Protect your WCs by creating a ZOC wall blocking off opponent's units. Weaken enemy troops with your more formidable frontliners, skeletons. Then, kill off enemies with your WCs for an entirely free unit. Also, it only takes Walking Corpses 16 XP to level when using 70% XP in Multiplayer, so doing this twice will give you 2 WCs and one Soulless. I would say that 50% of the cost of Walking Corpses funds the plague ability, use it to your advantage by making WCs your finishing unit, not your frontline unit.

I hope that helps your knowledge of how to use WCs.
In summation, you're wrong.
hearter
Posts: 12
Joined: January 16th, 2006, 5:37 am

Post by hearter »

i find its always better to let your skeles/adepts take the kill exp. another walking corpse doesnt mean much at all, and the exp gained is really kinda wasted.
:)
Tmoiy
Posts: 72
Joined: February 28th, 2005, 6:10 am
Location: yonder

Post by Tmoiy »

Duke Guillermo wrote:Walking Corpses aren't very useful in packs, no units are. Walking Corpses have defined resistances: Can take cold, pierce, and blade without much problem, however holy, impact, and fire damage take their toll on this unit. It is because of this trait that it is not a good idea to recruit Walking Corpses en masse; a small # of a unit that deals this type of damage may each kill one Walking Corpse a turn without fail.
Ah, but walking corpses dying is actually good in some cases. For example, suppose that you have a horde of WC's ready to swarm a paladin. The paladin will kill a corpse in one hit at day and two hits at night, but before that you have a good chance of getting hits in. Then another WC can take its place, and eventually the paladin dies.

Of course, this isn't very useful in multiplayer to recruit only WC's because your opponent will finish off the rest of your troops next turn.
Post Reply