the kai'lian

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Timdra5

the kai'lian

Post by Timdra5 »

i can beat the troll hole and the dead spirits but i cant beat the other 2 any hints
im am the shadow wolf
toms

Post by toms »

Isle of damned: lot of mages could help; holy units also like paladins. 8)
On the little isle in the southeast are 2 holy waters.

Troll hole: I would prefer an healing/blocking strategy, white mages are nice. Just use strong units like iron maulers. In the northwest and in the southeast are the leaders, in the southwest is a giant spider wich you don´t have to kill.

Nice here: great mages, iron maulers, royal guards, the outlaw queen, healers. :wink:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
jonadab

Fighting Saurians...

Post by jonadab »

The other two scenarios have Saurians in common, so I imagine those are your problem, eh?

Yeah, Saurians are hard to fight against -- not because they're hard to kill (actually, they're pretty wimpy in that regard) but because it's very hard to protect your wounded against them. Several things are important here...

* By this point in the campaign, you should have several good "dammage sink" units, i.e., units that have a *lot* of hitpoints, so that they can sustain attacks from several units and live to tell the tale. Burin can be good for this, if you have leveled him up to Dwarf Lord and then let him toughen several times. A Royal Guard can also be good for this, and if you managed to save Eldaric's loyal heavy infantry guards (in the second scenario) and level them up to Iron Maulers, they can also function in this capacity. Great Mages also can do it. With several units of this sort you can hit a group of Saurians, let them hit you back one turn, survive, and kill what's left of them on the following turn. If you do not have at least half a dozen fairly robust units like this, you may need to replay the earlier scenarios and concentrate more on levelling units up.

* You also should have several levelled horsemen, which are able to hold back (out of _reach_ of the Saurians), move in to attack one turn, and then escape on the next back to villages to heal. So they only have to sustain hits one turn. A group of three or four of these together can rush forward to kill two or three over-extended enemies, then pull back to heal about the time your real force arrives.

* You also should be able to recall enough units that if you have one very dammaged unit you can completely surround it with your own units. A unit that is _completely_ surrounded, not just shielded on the front, cannot be hit that turn by the enemy, skirmishing aside (unless they first kill another unit, of course).

* And you must keep your healers in pairs or groups of three, preferably 2-3 white/light mages together with each group of normal units, and two paladins in each group of mounted units. Keep the healers adjascent (so that they can heal one another every turn), and keep them mostly surrounded (so that not many enemy units can attack them at once, even on the backside).

* You may also choose to use unexperienced level-1 units as human shields in a few instances, to protect your more valuable units.

Fighting Saurians is hard. There's a reason they don't occur early in the main campaigns, at least not on the lower difficulty settings. (ISTR that Anduin used to have Saurians in an earlier version, but they seem to have been removed in more recent iterations.) Late in a campaign, though, you should have enough healers and heavy units to deal with them.
toms

Post by toms »

:oops: , I gave tips for the levels he CAN beat! Sorry.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

make sure that you can attack them first, as they die easily.

new addition to my strategy list. Yah!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
toms

Post by toms »

mages are are quite good against saurians :D A great mage blows the leader away. :twisted:
umpf

Post by umpf »

After a lot of testing I found a nice way to beat the dragon and all the leaders after 18 rounds:

1.) Do not recruit anything before turn 3 or 4 - use your units to get control of some villages.
2.) The enemy will attack you when the first night is dawning, so start recruiting your units in time. I had about 450 gold and used all of it to recruit my units (almost all of them had been level 3). You need mages, iron maulers and halbardiers. Some others like merman warriors or hoplites are also helpful especially if you need some quick moves in the water or swamp.
3.) During the first night a lot of enemies will come to attack you. Form your troops wisely and send the ones with high HP to the first line and the ones that can heal behind them. Wait until they have attacked you then use your mages and the meele units to get rid of them (you should be able to kill most of them).
4.) Then split your units and send them east and west to get rid of the first two leaders. They sometimes leave the castle and may attack you - if this is the case you can easily kill them using 1 or 2 of your mages (leaders just have 43 HP)
5.) Once the two northern leaders have been killed not many units are recruited by the other two leaders. Just move forward to the south to attack the other two leaders.
6.) In turn 15 the dragon appears. You may need to use several units to kill him - the Iron Mauler usually does a good job.
7.) Then just move on and kill the rest of the enemy leaders and get the 200 gold bonus. If you finish the scenario around round 18 and get the bonus you should have about the same gold as you started with.

I'm going to finetune it a little bit in the next days and will keep you updated.

Have fun!!!

Umpf
mtx

Post by mtx »

Havent played it in ages but in the dragon I used to recruit many peasants and use the leadeship of Jessica and Haldric to increase the damage dealt. Is good to have many units to surrond your wounded ones, with all those skirmishers around (and not having good ZOC is not a problem there)
simira

Post by simira »

Does this mean I am litterally lost, as far as I have no 3rd levels, and only one outlaw, one white mage and 5 trappers at 2nd level?
toms

Post by toms »

That´s very few. :( Play at least five levels again and try to advance troops!
Unfortunately, you are past the best training scenarios in the beginning, these are almost the key.
You should play a scenario a second time if you managed it only with too many losses.
Sly

Post by Sly »

If you still have the loyal horseman whom I advanced to Great Knight, he may be able to kill the dragon in one hit, they're a bit weak to pierce :D
kiet

Post by kiet »

Sly wrote:If you still have the loyal horseman whom I advanced to Great Knight, he may be able to kill the dragon in one hit, they're a bit weak to pierce :D
God bless him if he miss :P
Sly

Post by Sly »

kiet wrote:
Sly wrote:If you still have the loyal horseman whom I advanced to Great Knight, he may be able to kill the dragon in one hit, they're a bit weak to pierce :D
God bless him if he miss :P
He resist blade rather well (but yeah he must be full health to survive :o )

I tried and Silver mages did very well : they have 50% res fire, so the dragon ripost is not deadly ... but their shot aren't as well (the dragon also has 50%)
toms

Post by toms »

Try a couple of lancers...could work, I did it stupidly with one Grad Knight and noticed my giant luck only after the level.
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

simira wrote:Does this mean I am litterally lost, as far as I have no 3rd levels, and only one outlaw, one white mage and 5 trappers at 2nd level?
It would be very difficult to beat this scenario with only one healer. You need to keep your healers in pairs on this level, so that they can heal one another, and you probably need two groups, one for the left and one for the right, so I'd count a bare minimum of four healers. Six would be much more comfortable.

Then again, I tend to rely rather heavily on healers, in general. I was quite dismayed, upon first picking up this campaign, that on level 1 you cannot recruit any units with healing ability, so I made it top priority to level up some white mages ASAP. If you're accustomed to muddling through with fewer healers, you might not need as many as I used.

Still, though, only one? That would be... difficult.

My advice, go back and replay the earlier parts of the campaign and get yourself some healers. While you're at it, level up some heavies too. It's terribly nice to have three loyal Iron Maulers and a loyal Dwarf Lord, for instance...