1.1.0 Strategies

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MCP

1.1.0 Strategies

Post by MCP »

Since there have been a lot of updates to units, there are gonna be updates in strategies.

* General:
** Slow: Very Useful. Causes 50% less damage and halves movement until the end of the players next turn.

* vs Undead:
** Ghosts: Hard to kill effectively with new drain on melee. I have had to use ranged units to attack or else they tend to heal themselves pretty well. Also mermans are nowhere near as effective as they used to be. The new water movement is annoying to deal with as drakes. Good physical resistance at 50%. Definitely worth the 20 gold, but not broken yet! Don't use ulfseekers straight against a ghost, risky even in day. Use slow then melee.
** Ghouls: Greater HP, less damage, over all I think they are better and thus are more dangerous. Killing them the same as before, except they are 10% more fire resistant.
** Skeletons: Increased HP is such a good bonus. They are harder to kill now. Been using same units to attack.

* vs Orcs:
** Overall: Less defense in cities is better for attacking them there.

Anyways I've only so far played against undead as undead or as some other race.
Last edited by MCP on January 16th, 2006, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

I tend to have trouble with ghosts - those 50% resistances make them very stubborn, and I wept bitter tears when I realised they'd been given a drain attack. Still, when I'm playing undead I love the Shadow line, so it's nice to have a chance to level a few more of 'em up.

I keep getting the impression that the Orc faction is weak enough as it is without doing away with their saving graces - although I could just be thinking this because SoTBE is frickin' hard.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

ghosts have drain now too? nice!!!!!!!!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Foxwolf

Post by Foxwolf »

Yeah, it's so effing* annoying, I had like a bajillion archers, merman and spearman, and taking out ONE ghost was the luckiest wesnoth moment ever xD...

*Pardon my language
:twisted:
Insanity Boy

Post by Insanity Boy »

Use a mage?
Foxwolf

Post by Foxwolf »

I try, but the stupid ghosts and ghouls swarm them and kill him before he even has a chance to unleash his fireball fury :evil: , but alls well that ends well since I am now playing The Dark Hordes :twisted:
:twisted:
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

Dont try to ulf ghosts in 1.1 :wink:
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
player

Post by player »

you can use long ranges,,,,
also,,slow him if you have b4 using a melee
-jew
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Mythological wrote:Dont try to ulf ghosts in 1.1 :wink:
Actually ulf still can win against ghost at day (usually), but of course it will (most likely) die if it will try fight during night.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

Ugh. Yeah, as predicted, I'm now having serious trouble with ghosts in certain scenarios; notably The Manor in Escape to Freedom and Cave of Shadows in Survival. Both of these scenarios have no high-defence terrain, and limited-or-no ranged attacks; this combination really amplifies the effect of a relatively small number of ghosts. They're also scenarios which necessarily involve limited armies mostly composed of weak level-1 units, so it's very hard to avoid a ghost levelling (and then you're really done for).

Anybody considering scenario rebalancing to reflect the new, nastier ghosts? Formerly they could be used as a throwaway scout-type unit, albeit an annoying one, but now they can have a really serious impact in the right circumstances.
Duke Guillermo

Post by Duke Guillermo »

One strategy that I have found useful as the Northeners is to recruit one goblin spearman initially along with your other, usual units. Try to level up this spearman before the others by weakening targets with other units and giving him the kill. Once you level him up choose goblin rouser. Now make larger amounts of goblin spearman and note how quickly they level up with the 6-3 attack at night (or even 8-3 at night if the spearman has strong) when they attack next to the leading rouser without any resistances applied. In addition, if this is done early on, there will be fast units present who usually take 20% more damage from pierce for a large 8-3 from nonstrong spearman and 9-3 from strong spearman at night next to rousers. Each level up is like saving 5 gold as impalers and rousers would cost 13 if they were allowed to be recruited. I've gotten as many as 5 levels up over the first 5 turns using this strategy.
In summation, you're wrong.
Beamer

Post by Beamer »

Thrawn wrote:ghosts have drain now too? nice!!!!!!!!
Is that sig referring to Nakor as in Nakor from Feist's books?
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Mustelid wrote:Anybody considering scenario rebalancing to reflect the new, nastier ghosts? Formerly they could be used as a throwaway scout-type unit, albeit an annoying one, but now they can have a really serious impact in the right circumstances.
There have been a lot of changes to units stats and costs so every campaign designer should review his scenarios and rebalance them for 1.1. I am not sure, though, if it should be done now since more changes are to be expected.

Oh, and i don't think i would want to throw away a 20 gold unit :wink: . Especially not if it is able to become a wraith :P .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Post by Lu Mong »

Well I must say that ghosts are Really nasty in 1.1 ... At least that there is dwarwen guard to take them down:D
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

I prefer poachers.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle