Newbie wants tips

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hillbillypriest

Newbie wants tips

Post by hillbillypriest »

I'm new to wesnoth(started yesterday) and would like to know some general stratagies and tips. Also, I'd like to see a general overview of each race or faction and stratagies I can use with each. Thanks. 8)
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

- Dont let wounded units die UNLESS you have a reason to do so, like
delaying another army, or making enemy unit chase this wounded unit
- Take full advantage of units that cant defend, like ranged vs melee units.

- Dont forget to enter villages, it will give you extra money. In some scenarios this
is very helpful, so i usually have few scouts that do this task.
scott

Post by scott »

Never attack at night if you're lawful and vice-versa.
Never attack from low defense terrain. If necessary, wait.
Don't try to fight with scouts.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
hillbillypriest

Post by hillbillypriest »

I'd really like to know more about the different factions and their strength's/weaknesses. keep em coming!
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/AdvancedTactics#See_Also has race specific tips for Northerners and Undead.
toms

Post by toms »

Look on "10 hints to play Wesnoth" :)
(It´s also translated)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
dvlenk6

Post by dvlenk6 »

Nose around in the .cfg data files of the game (WESNOTH/data), if you really want to find out the strengths and weaknesses.

-multiplayer.cfg - lists the factions for each era. What and how they recruit.
-units.cfg - shows movement, defense, and resistance info for each movement type.
-WESNOTH/data/units - the goodies on every 'standard' unit is here.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

dvlenk6 wrote:Nose around in the .cfg data files of the game (WESNOTH/data), if you really want to find out the strengths and weaknesses.

-multiplayer.cfg - lists the factions for each era. What and how they recruit.
-units.cfg - shows movement, defense, and resistance info for each movement type.
-WESNOTH/data/units - the goodies on every 'standard' unit is here.
Honestly - I would _never_ suggest learning about units from there. In game help is much much better.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
player

Post by player »

put all of your land units on water and water units on land,,it would help you lose......

well,,strats depends on the faction ur using,,,,

some advices:
heal dying units,,,,,,,dont hesitate to attack if ur opponent doesnt have the range attack and u have it(and vice-versa),,,,,use magical attacks on units that have high defenc(also marksman),,,,,,dont fall on enemies traps(like foolowing his 1 dying units and he have thousands in the placce where it would go.....use units with berserk (if possible) on units wth weak melee(like dark adept:)).......
-jew
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

player wrote:some advices:
Use dots ( . ) and commas ( , ) in proper places, 'u' isn't a word ('ur' as well). New sentences used to begin with capitalized letters ( in short: allow others to understand what you write ).
player wrote: dont hesitate to attack if ur opponent doesnt have the range attack and u have it(and vice-versa)
No. Overall advice is good, but I would throw out 'dont hesitate' from this sentence. Blindly attacking (ever with proper attacks) leads to death. 99% of newbies lose not because they don't know units weaknesses/advantages, but because they don't know such words like 'patience', 'defense', 'retreat'.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
player

Post by player »

Dragonking wrote:
player wrote:some advices:
Use dots ( . ) and commas ( , ) in proper places, 'u' isn't a word ('ur' as well). New sentences used to begin with capitalized letters ( in short: allow others to understand what you write ).
player wrote: dont hesitate to attack if ur opponent doesnt have the range attack and u have it(and vice-versa)
No. Overall advice is good, but I would throw out 'dont hesitate' from this sentence. Blindly attacking (ever with proper attacks) leads to death. 99% of newbies lose not because they don't know units weaknesses/advantages, but because they don't know such words like 'patience', 'defense', 'retreat'.

i think it is already understoodc that they shouldnt attack in bad condition...

and im sorry bout the "ur" thingsd,im just rushing cause class is about to start that time..
-jew
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

for advice, read my sticky, and guard against the sarcasm--the tips actually do work.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Spam

Post by Spam »

Pay attention to where the enemy can move. However your mouse over an enemy unit, it highlights his movement range.

That's the single best piece of advice I can give you. Everything else you learn by reading Unit Descriptions and trial and error. Unit combinations and what kills what comes in due time. The most significant thing you can do to improve your play though is grasp the concept of "just because my unit won't die from attacking this unit doesn't mean it won't die when the enemy moves".

The tenedency is to look at the handy button that gives you the odds, see 0% of your unit dying from attacking the other unit, and assume it'll live.

You have to think in terms of your turn and the following enemy turn being one move. Surviving your attack on the enemy isn't the end of it.

So again, learn to religiously check where enemy units can move. You'd be suprised how some of them can move, such as the first time I realized Duelist ignore ZOC and lost a (so I thought) safely retreated Paladin for my trouble.

What follows from this advice is a huge jump in unit survivability and consquently leveling.
player

Post by player »

press control+v(apple+v) in macs so u can see wherre all of his units can move..
-jew
toms

Post by toms »

Spam wrote:So again, learn to religiously check where enemy units can move. You'd be suprised how some of them can move, such as the first time I realized Duelist ignore ZOC and lost a (so I thought) safely retreated Paladin for my trouble.
A duelist has skirmisher. And 7 movement points. Be aware of this. :wink:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!