What seperates the best players from the newbies?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

MCP wrote:Also, some people might say a great player manipulates luck. ;D
Best strategy -> being a lucky shmuck.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

You would need to hear Tomsik's complete mathematical theory about luck on multiplayer...
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Huh? My therory? What theory? :?
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

What you were saying on a multiplayer game about luck = look, or something like that.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

That wasn't me, i've never said something like this.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Then i advise you, never play against Typhus. That guy gets the most wild statistical deviations i've ever seen. He eithers gets a notable amount of extra damage or loses it.

You may dare to say, he is balanced.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Spam

Post by Spam »

Every instance you guys describe as seperating a "newbie" from an "expert" is, quite frankly, pretty obvious. And by "pretty obvious" I mean "halfway through their very first campaign obvious".

"Don't use a lawful archer to fire his bow at a chaotic skeleton at night."

I mean, even if you didn't bother to read the Unit Descriptions (which clearly outline all fo that), simple intuition from a little play experience would tell you an awful lot.

I'm not suggesting i'm an expert, obviously i'm not. I'm suggesting I know everything you guys have listed and named and yet, again, i'm no expert. Apparently the difference between a "newbie" and an "expert" is substantially more subtle then rudimentary and rather basic knowledge of game mechanics.
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
It works for me. :D
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Ansbach

Post by Ansbach »

unsung wrote:Ive noticed that most bad players follow the examples of the french in the middle ages: They let me find terrain that I want, then just attack me when I'm ready for them.
Reminds me of one of my favorite military quotes, although I can't remember it exactly - something like, "the key to defense is to take and defend positions that are so offensive from the strategic point of view that the enemy is compelled to attack you there."
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Appropriated terrain ?
Airk

Post by Airk »

From my newbie perspective, I would expect an expert to to have an intuitive grasp of zone of control. Right now, I find myself flailing around moving units, checking the opponent's moves, undoing, moving again, checking moves, and honestly just not really having a good "feeling" for how ZoC works. Sure, I understand it in theory, but in practice...not so much.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

There is information you need to know and apply (like terrain defense, unit stats, zoc) in order to be a good player. Everybody can do that, they just need to learn enough and get some practice.

But i think what really makes up an expert is to look at a given situation and make the right decision about attack, hold position or retreat. There is so many factors that influence it and it needs either a lot of experience or much talent.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Yogi Bear wrote:There is information you need to know and apply (like terrain defense, unit stats, zoc) in order to be a good player. Everybody can do that, they just need to learn enough and get some practice.

But i think what really makes up an expert is to look at a given situation and make the right decision about attack, hold position or retreat. There is so many factors that influence it and it needs either a lot of experience or much talent.
I agree with this. I can think of a couple of times when I have made the wrong decision in just such a situation. While it hasn't always lost me the game, it has always cost me.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Re: What seperates the best players from the newbies?

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Inuyasha wrote:What seperates the best players from the newbies?
Time ?
Tux2B

Re: What seperates the best players from the newbies?

Post by Tux2B »

La_vie_en_Wose wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:What seperates the best players from the newbies?
Time ?
What do you mean?