What seperates the best players from the newbies?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

Elvish Pillager wrote:The best way to work with teammates is to dictate all their moves to them. :lol: Because they're usually total newbies. :lol:
Of course, trying to give advice to a mentally challenged newcomer usually results in them yelling at you and saying that "u" are a stupid n00b, doing the exact opposite of the advice you gave just to spite you and then blame everything on you when their inevitable, definitive and utter defeat comes.
...After which they will call you an idiot and clearly demonstrate their superiority by somehow getting the odds of getting 2 3's on 2d6 to be neither 1/36 or 1/6 (depending on where you started, because they're always very bad at communicating what they mean), clearly their skill in new math and distortion of reality are vastly superior to ours.
Trust me, I have some experience in this matter.
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

As do I, in fact; I usually don't have allies like that. Especially because I kick them and replace them with observers.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Sea Elf

Post by Sea Elf »

(S)elfish wierdo wrote:
Of course, trying to give advice to a mentally challenged newcomer usually results in them yelling at you and saying that "u" are a stupid n00b, doing the exact opposite of the advice you gave just to spite you and then blame everything on you when their inevitable, definitive and utter defeat comes
what if you told them to do something incredibly stupid?[/code]
I got lost in thought, it was unknown territory.

The Outcasts need your feedback

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9449
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I really hate it when people hit the MP servers before learning how to play in campaigns. I swear some of them didn't even read the manual, or play the tutorials.
I had one guy who was asking me how to recruit. "Hey, how did you make all those guys pop up in your castle?" :evil:
unsung

Post by unsung »

(S)elfish wierdo wrote:
Of course, trying to give advice to a mentally challenged newcomer usually results in them yelling at you and saying that "u" are a stupid n00b, doing the exact opposite of the advice you gave just to spite you and then blame everything on you when their inevitable, definitive and utter defeat comes
Sea Elf wrote:what if you told them to do something incredibly stupid?
What if I was backing him up on it?

(If he is talking about the match i'm thinking of, man were there some temper tantrums resulting from it.)
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
player

Post by player »

unsung wrote:
(S)elfish wierdo wrote:
Sea Elf wrote:what if you told them to do something incredibly stupid?
What if I was backing him up on it?

(If he is talking about the match i'm thinking of, man were there some temper tantrums resulting from it.)
what if youre back up fails????

and what if its "1212" and the next one to move is ur enemy???

and what if because of that ur plans have to change???

and what if u lose because of what you told him??

i guess you should have to ask for his plan first and analyze it,,then you can say something that will improve it(like he said he will put his land units on water,,o\f course u should say something bout it)...
-jew
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I assume you'd change your plans
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
alittlewoodelfe

Post by alittlewoodelfe »

There is one skill that you didn't mention to be a good multiplayer : to be able to say after one or two turns what is the skill level of each of your teamate and opponent.

You have to look at the first recruits and moves to know that, and then you have to adapt your strategies according to what you learn : be ready to help one your ally which is obviously less experienced than his direct opponent, or let him die and try to overrun another opponent during this time. Most of the time if you have the feeling that your team is less good you have to play more aggressive to have a chance of winning before your allies made too much mistakes.
JW

Post by JW »

Newbies, or noobs, use lawful units to attack a greater force of chaotic units while on unfavorable terrain. Of course, newb luck wins and the newb happened to be my teammate. lol.
player

Post by player »

not always luck,,sometimes because of the carelessness of the "expert"...

or acting expert...
-jew
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

player wrote:not always luck,,sometimes because of the carelessness of the "expert"...

or acting expert...
so true--I never practice what I preach, so I don't win all the time :)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
hearter

Post by hearter »

advanced players pay greatest attention to terrain. a unit on 60% terrain is 25% stronger than the same unit on 50% terrain. and 70% is just extreme power. i believe that reaching and establishing a hold in the best terrain as quickly as possible is the key of any good player.

zoc and day/night cycling is just basic.
:)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think the biggest difference between a good player and a great player is a sense of scale.

A good player understands that 50% defense is better than 40% defense, but a great player knows just how much better in a certain situation, and whether it is worth giving up some other advantage in exchange.

A great player also understands that there are exceptions to every rule. Attacking from water with a land unit isn't normally a good idea.....but in some cases it might be a stroke of brilliance to do such a move when a lesser player wouldn't even consider it.

However, I think there are many paths to greatness: some players focus on mathematical calculation of odds. Some on careful analysis of unit strengths, some on tactical maneuvering, and some on strategic positioning. Some players play cautiously, defensively, trying to build a small advantage and work on it. Other players are more willing to play aggressive gambits.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
ereksos

Post by ereksos »

Dave wrote:I think the biggest difference between a good player and a great player is a sense of scale.

A good player understands that 50% defense is better than 40% defense, but a great player knows just how much better in a certain situation, and whether it is worth giving up some other advantage in exchange.

A great player also understands that there are exceptions to every rule. Attacking from water with a land unit isn't normally a good idea.....but in some cases it might be a stroke of brilliance to do such a move when a lesser player wouldn't even consider it.

However, I think there are many paths to greatness: some players focus on mathematical calculation of odds. Some on careful analysis of unit strengths, some on tactical maneuvering, and some on strategic positioning. Some players play cautiously, defensively, trying to build a small advantage and work on it. Other players are more willing to play aggressive gambits.

David
Bravo david, well said!
Correct me if i am wrong, in essense, a great player is the one who can employ the best strategy in each different situation.

Note that the winning strategy is never the same, the ability to formulate this strategy in each game and the confidence to carry it out makes you a great player.

A truly great player does not rely on just one skill, be it mathematical calculation or strategic positioning, he/she needs to have all the skills and then apply the skills to his/her best advantages.
EREKSOS
MCP

Post by MCP »

So can I boil it down into one sentence?
A great player has more experience than you.

I've played many competitive games. What dave mentions, exactly what I mean, more experience.

Also, some people might say a great player manipulates luck. ;D

Humans are prone to fatigue, as shown when top chess players take on computers. The human obviously wins at the start, but then fatigue seems to set in in later matches as the human starts making mistakes.

What I want to know since I'm not all that great, aggressive vs passive, passive vs passive and aggressive vs aggressive. I don't tend to do either in general, it seems to depend on what my opponent does, but has anyone with experience noticed which strategy works better in general depending on the type of opponent? I naturally refer to only smart opponents. Just ignore newb strats, they are easily tossed aside.